1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. hendriksen

hendriksen Chieftain

Im playing the Kiev rus at the moment. The UHV says: controll all blacksea coast east of the carpathian mountains in 1500AD.
    But what does this actually mean, just all north coast of the blacksea including the crimea.. or also the eastcoast of the blacksea..?

And Justinian felt generous, finally a Civ that cares for his neighbours:D

Attached Files:

2. Barak

Barak Emperor

Playing a game as Hungary (here is a starting location that needs resources and production!)

I notice that settling Eger on the starting spot gives me instantaneous unhealthiness. Shouldn't there be some inherent healthiness in a new city? I never recall this in any game short of starting on flood plains.

3. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Just to show much our civs appreciate their new dynamic names, have a look at the Caliphate of Cordoba in 1104AD. Having quickly disposed of the arrogant Spanish infidels soon after their spawn, we are faced with yet another upstart in the Portugese. But our faithful Berber horsemen will soon dispose of these foolish unbelievers. Insha'Allah.:D

4. Barak

Barak Emperor

2 consecutive games now I have seen Arabia as an orthodox nation, making Cordoba the ONLY Islamic one.

5. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

Sedna, is there a way we can make marsh passable for non-military units, or does it have to be coded into each unit one at a time? I think that individual units (great people, missionaries, spies, inquisitors), scout units (scout, explorer), and worker/settler units should probably be able to pass through marsh. Other opinions?

6. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

What if we made marsh unpassable for siege weapons? Would make taking cities with marshes nearby harder, but still wouldn't prevent other units for having battles there.

7. sedna17

sedna17 Emperor

The way it's currently set up marsh is by default impassable, and you can set a flag for individual unit to allow it to pass. It's certainly not too much work to allow non-military units to pass (or non-siege). Does anyone else have an opinion on what units should be allowed to go through marsh?

8. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

I like Hitti's suggestion, but I can't really picture horses easily crossing a marsh, either. Maybe the impassable-unless-there's-a-road solution is best for most units. I think having individual units pass through would be fine, but generally speaking armies don't do well in swamps.

9. micbic

micbic Optimistic Pessimist

Is it possible to add movement cost, eg to need two movement points to pass through a swamp?

10. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Well, then we could make marshes non-siege and non-cavalry territory. To make marshes bad places for battles, marshes should be given something like -20% defence bonus. That way you could pass through marshes, but you certainly wouldn't want to fight in there.

11. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

This discussion is already taking place in the resources/terrain thread where suggestions about marshes have already been made. Lets keep it to one thread if we can, guys.

12. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Just to report my first Historical win on Monarch. Playing as Arabia I had all 3 UHV conditions before 1400. Shame I had to wait until 1700 to get the result.
    Still, a win is a win.:trophy:

13. Barak

Barak Emperor

In my first try as England, I love the forced conflict between the French and English. Of course something is broken here.

When the 2 French Cities flipped to me, Burgandy declared war along with their 2 vassals France and Norse. I did get a special spawn of 4 warriors in London who immediately ran and hid in the English moorland!

As one would expect the 2 archers in Caen and Boulogne were no match for the Burgundian Crossbow, and cav units, so both cities quickly fell back into French control.

Here is an idea. If we really want this conflict to look good, then perhaps any French city that flips to England should get walls and a few of the England UU? The Queen and her councilors are currently trying to sue for peace, hoping that they don't get overrun by the HUGE amount of french Lt Cav units across the channel.

14. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

Those 4 extra warriors when an existing civ declares war after a flip aren't much help, are they?

So, as things currently stand, Caen is still flipping? Let's change the English core area to cover the immediate square around Calais, but leave it at that.

15. Barak

Barak Emperor

In my game both french cities flipped. I think if there were a way for only one city to flip, and then having the New Units appear in that city would be helpful.

16. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

We need a list of extra units in case of a war on spawn. Civs that start in more dangerous situation should get more units.

17. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Just to report my second UHV win as Bulgaria on Monarch. The key to victory is grabbing Beograd at the start and being best pals with Byzantium until about 1350. Then declare war, capture Constantinople and they collapse. This one is dedicated to 3Miro. I'm sure he would approve.:king:

18. hendriksen

hendriksen Chieftain

In my last game as the english a total of 3 french cities on french coast flipped to me. Unfortunately, I Couldn't hold them because the were only being defende by 1 archer.:(
    I think 3 cities is a bit to much, 1 would be enough..

19. Barak

Barak Emperor

I have noticed something through my last several games regarding health. In RFE, our cities seem to be very unhealthy in relation to how they were in RFC. For the life of me I could not figure out why???

It is true that the land locked civs dont have access to fishing, and many of the health producing buildings come later, but I've noticed starting as both Austria and Hungary that my cities START unhealthy.

I have now figured out why!!!

In RFC (just started a new game) my starting city of Kyoto with no health resources has 5 :health: vs 2 :yuck: The reason is a +4:health: from difficulty level (monarch). Perhaps we should add a basic :health: bonus for difficulty level as we did in regular RFC?

20. Whitefire

Whitefire Emperor

That bonus is standard for Civ. It ramps the difficulty in a softer manner than stiff population caps.