1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

Why doesn't RFCE have a Ship of the Line? Frigates just aren't strong enough...

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I plan to look into the unit upgrade chains for RFCE II
    Some of them are strange or doesn't feel full, for example the light cavalry upgrades
    Didn't look into this, but we can also add Ship of the Line then, if it's historically accurate for the mod

3. amrod

amrod Warlord

I captured Jerusalem with the Germans. Sometimes I get the message "new mercenaries available
    in Jerusalem", but checking the merc screen there are none. (And they would come handy..)

Also, I think it was asked several times, anyway, a culture counter for Lithuania could be nice, if it's not much to do. Thx.

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

You always get that message if a merc is first availeable in the province
    But you may not have the minimal culture to hire it - at least not yet
    Since the merc will be there if you acquire enough culture, it's intentional that you get the message

Will look into it

5. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

So my latest games....

Kiev- Lost. I lost....That is the first RFC game I've lost in at least 4 years. Insane, in a good way.

Germany- Easy walkover until the Ottomans won a Domination victory!

England- Spain won the UHV!! (Eh, I was losing anyway, I couldn't keep up in tech).

6. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

You actually lost?!? Think I have been playing this mod too long...

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

All 3 sounds awesome! ;)

Yeah, those Mongol Keshik stacks can be tricky with Kiev on your first few plays :mischief:

8. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

They were awesome. I'm putting together a long (3+ pages) 'report' on my findings and possible small tweaks for the next version. I know I don't sound like a good player (look at those losses!) but I've been around the RFC block a time or two.

9. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Do AIs actually remotely try their UHVs?

10. Daffy

Daffy Prince

afaik, no

unless their uhv is to do something an AI would do anyway..
    like control 'xyz' regions by year 'xyz'

I've only had an AI achieve a 3x UHV win once, that was burgundy and many alphas/betas ago

11. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

Well, Spain just won one in my game. It is a bit too easy. Will try to show why in my next post.

12. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

The AI isn't even aware of the UHV. If it wins one, it's just coincidence.

13. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I've started two games at the same time in this new RFCE: Arabs and Byzantine

As both some bugs keep happening, and they're not from this version, they were present in Betas too:

Autosaves that happen in the turn that cities try to flip to a new civ when loaded cancel the flip as if it never happened.

The Merc system is really bizarre. Sometimes they tell me some mercs are available when they're not, even in provinces such as Egypt (it happened with both Arabia and Byzantium), where I had only Alexandria and surely I had more then the minimum culture necessary. Not once, but all the time it happens. The same way, the message that mercs left when there were none on the same provinces. It's like they come, keep some time there and then leave, but I couldn't hire then because they never showed on my merc advisor. And last not least, they come at a specific level, but when they appear on the map the level drops to 1 and the ups don't disappear. This opens the possibility for overpowering mercs ( I had one with Byzantine a Khazar Horse Archer with Medic I, Medic II, Strengh I, Drill I and after 2 battles it got to 6 XP, so I could put Withdraw I and II, only 4 XP left to get March and make this Merc the Overlord of my troops)

And the last one happens when two civs at war call you at the same turn asking something from you. The last example that happened to me: France was at war with Cordoba. The turn started and France called me to declare war at Cordoba. I agreed. Exactly after this Cordoba asked me to declare war at France. I negated. Then I was at the Diplomacy screen with Cordoba, even being at war with them (and necessarily they wouldn't accept a diplomatic chat with me at the same turn I declared war and no war move was made to make them reconsider the chat). I clicked "We would like to make a trade proposal" and suddenly there was no "trade proposal" screen, but the same screen as before with the options as I was proposing some kind of deal, but there was no deal. I clicked at the first option asking if Cordoba would accept my phantom deal and they agreed, stopping the war as if we had proposed Cease Fire. Same happened as Arabia when Cordoba asked me first to declare war on Spain and after that Spain came asking the same to me.

Besides these issues I was considering something about the last UHV of Byzantines. In my opinion it's one of the easiest UHVs on this game. If you could make Constantinople the most powerful city in 1025 (UHV1), and you could gather all Anatolia under your thumb (UHV2), UHV3 can be simply done by controlling the Ottomans and putting 100% of your commerce on the treasure for the rest of the turns (more or less a hundred years to make that).
    But there is a way even easier to do that (even when you can't handle the Ottomans but you can survive until the limit year of UHV3). All my games in all versions of RFCE (excluding a bugged one long time ago that Arabia had more then a million gold) had the Papal states as the richest Empire in the world by far (with thousands of gold). But they can't fight any civilization in the espionage battle, losing easily even to the worst of them. Some turns of EPs directed at the Pope and a single spy is all you need to steal thousands of gold from him in a single move making you the richest and putting the old richest behind you. So what's the challenge in this UHV?

14. kochman

kochman Deity

I was wondering if stability maps help it, at least as far as, control such and such areas...
    Does the AI know the stability maps? I assume it doesn't.

15. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I'm not sure about this one. But the AI is aware of the settlermaps and warmaps, so I'm not supprised if they also understand the stabilitymaps.

It actually isn't very important. They places where the AI will settle (because of the settlermaps) are mostly in their stable area. (I assume that the stabilitymaps and settlermaps are somewhat syncronized)

16. Wuzzelbuzzel

Wuzzelbuzzel Chieftain

Hey,
    first i would like to thank you guys for this great mod, you brought civ4 back to my timetable.
    I played a game as Cordoba recently when i noticed that there was no Holy-City/Mosque in Damaskus. Played a bit with Arabia/Byzantium and found the following. It seems like AI-Arabs goes for Antiochia first right after spawn if that city is weak. As a result Antiochia is the first and therefore capital city. If thats the case there is no Holy-City or a Holy-Shrine for Islam even is they found Damaskus in the same turn. Maybe you could force the Arab-AI to build Damaskus first no matter what or link the Holy-City to the Arab-Palace. Cheapest solution would be to place a wood or something that slows the Arab-Cav so they won't be able to conquer a city before they found the first.
    Pretty sure someone spotted this bug before but i would like bring the topic back up because i don't think AI-Arabia is able to survive the crusaders without the gold from the shrine... the hardly ever do with the gold.
    Thanks
    Wuzzel

17. yogiebere

yogiebere Civilization City Planner

Just played Moscovy for the first time in a while on 1.0.
    It was actually very enjoyable. The barbarians to the east are annoying, but manageable, and I was about to easily snatch up all the barbarian cities from the dead Kiev empire. The new Kiev placement works better with Moscovy in my opinion.
    Lithuania was already dead and Germany soon killed off Poland, making the boundaries of my empire Germany and the Ottomans (sounds like RFC Vanilla eh?).

But it was still pretty cool. Russia is a fun to snatch up all the territory and crank out knights once I finally researched them. I'm sure with ++ and talk of 2.0, there will be a few more players for Russia (Novgorod? Crimea? Armenia? though I'm not crazy about extending the map all the way to Armenia especially since it's not really Europe) while will make things more interesting. I wish the Swedes started with stuff in Finland though (the part across the Baltic from Sweden).

18. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

I suppose you mean version 1.0 ?

The Crimean civilization in ++ has a really unique gameplay, and while the UHV isn't too hard I've had a really fun play with them.

To remain on the subject of feedback (supposing that you indeed play version 1.0), do you think that Poland and/or Lithuania are too weak currently ?

19. yogiebere

yogiebere Civilization City Planner

I certainly agree. I think they get squashed by Germany somewhere in 1200-1400 almost always. I think Poland could use a good boost, perhaps a couple extra techs, 1 extra settler and a couple units, and maybe change some balancing (instead or in addition). You'd also have to change Lithuania so Poland wouldn't crush them in turn.

I'll play around with the values...

20. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Poland starts late and are tech backwards, they need a boost.