RFC for Civ 5?

I'm really surprised that Rhye hasn't been hired by Firaxis...
If even to make a Rhye's style Civ spin-off.
Considering, I paid for Civ4:Col and rarely play it. Whereas Rhye's is free and a huge improvement on the main game....

I'm really surprised that Rhye hasn't been hired by Firaxis...
If even to make a Rhye's style Civ spin-off.
Considering, I paid for Civ4:Col and rarely play it. Whereas Rhye's is free and a huge improvement on the main game....

I think that if Firaxis hired Rhye we would either get RFC on steroids OR a pathetic excuse for RFC. Firaxis might put too many restraints on Rhye, one tangible example being the inability to play as the Americans directly from the menu in the BTS version of RFC. However, if they put Rhye at the head of a CIV spin-off we might just get the greatest game of all time...

Neither, I honestly believe, is very likely. While Firaxis does see Rhye's talent and put his wonderful mod in BTS, it is likely that they are opposed to the idea of hiring a modder for multiple arbitrary reasons (of which I can think of many) and maybe even a good one or two (of which I can think of none). Nevertheless, I hope.

Is there any way to contact Firaxis, and actually get their attention?

Perhaps he'll get to work for an expansion pack. BTS featured RFC and a FFH scenario after all.

Is there any chance that RFC for Civ5 will be a community project?

I certainly hope not - or, at least, no more than RFC was in Civ 4. Strong leadership is good, collaborative leadership mods lead to feature bloat, which is against Rhye's design philosophy.

"A multitude of rulers is not a good thing, let there be one ruler, one king."

I think that if Firaxis hired Rhye we would either get RFC on steroids OR a pathetic excuse for RFC. Firaxis might put too many restraints on Rhye, one tangible example being the inability to play as the Americans directly from the menu in the BTS version of RFC. However, if they put Rhye at the head of a CIV spin-off we might just get the greatest game of all time...

Is there any way to contact Firaxis, and actually get their attention?

Agree 100%!

I know that I and others have said this before but I think Rhye should seriously consider becoming a video game designer professionally. As a lifelong player of video games, he has turned a good game that is Civ4 into one of the all time great games I have ever played.

If he could pull something like RFC off (largely) by himself in his "spare time" I can't imagine what he would be able to accomplish with a professional team and studio behind him....

Agree 100%!

I know that I and others have said this before but I think Rhye should seriously consider becoming a video game designer professionally. As a lifelong player of video games, he has turned a good game that is Civ4 into one of the all time great games I have ever played.

If he could pull something like RFC off (largely) by himself in his "spare time" I can't imagine what he would be able to accomplish with a professional team and studio behind him....

If he was simply paid to do it by himself he could probably have gotten it done much faster

Be careful what you wish for.

RFC is that good because Rhye sticks to his own design philosophy. If someone would be willing to pay him, that person/company would come with its own expectations regarding playability, inclusion/exclusion of features etc.

I doubt the result would be the RFC we like to play.

Be careful what you wish for.

RFC is that good because Rhye sticks to his own design philosophy. If someone would be willing to pay him, that person/company would come with its own expectations regarding playability, inclusion/exclusion of features etc.

I doubt the result would be the RFC we like to play.

Fair point.

But from observing Rhye the past couple years and how he operates I highly doubt he'd be someone who would be the type to lie down and just accept putting out a sub-standard product.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1075587p2.html

"The grab bag of leader traits from the previous Civilization games is gone now in favor of traits that are entirely unique to each leader. We weren't told what any of the new ones are, but we do know that one of the rejected ideas was to have one civ treat forests as roads. It ultimately ended up being much too powerful, but it should indicate the direction that the team is taking with the new traits. "

sound a lot like unique powers

Surprised to hear that religions have now been completely removed from Civ 5. Just thinking of the brilliant way RFC Europe was able to capture the religious conflict of the Middle Ages...though I'm sure one of the modders here will give us the option.

Don't mean to sound pessimistic and yes I understand it's still very, very early but outside of diplomacy I'm not overly excited about what I'm hearing so far and see no reason why I wouldn't be playing RFC until if/when it's released for Civ 5.

Don't mean to sound pessimistic and yes I understand it's still very, very early but outside of diplomacy I'm not overly excited about what I'm hearing so far and see no reason why I wouldn't be playing RFC until if/when it's released for Civ 5.

The developers' interview summarise my fears better than I could.

Eurogamer: Is it just maps, or will people have access to other aspects of the game? Like the leaders?

Jon Shafer: [Blank look.]

Surprised to hear that religions have now been completely removed from Civ 5. Just thinking of the brilliant way RFC Europe was able to capture the religious conflict of the Middle Ages...though I'm sure one of the modders here will give us the option.

:rolleyes: they said no effect on diplomacy

I'm just scared that Civ5's editing tools will be like the fabled 'remake every aspect of the game designed for all modders' tools that were supposed to ship with Empire Total War and still, nothing despite nearly 2 years after the release and 1.5 expansion packs. Even if all we were given access to was the XML and python, I'm sure modders will find a way around it or force the issue, like in Civ3.

:rolleyes: they said no effect on diplomacy

No need for the rolly eyes, just reporting the information I've been getting:

This from the stickied "Civ V Confirmed Features" thread:

Changes and/or Omissions from Previous Games

No Technology Trading Computer Bild Spiele
Religion and espionage have been removed

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=355156

If this information is incorrect , I'm glad as removing religion entirely would be a mistake.

On a side note: an interesting discussion is taking place debating the merits of the Civilization franchise vs Europa Universalis. I mention it here because RFC is featured prominently in the discussion both by the OP and several times in the replies, including yours truly.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8983315#post8983315

Top Bottom