1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFCE Leaders

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I think this awesome Nevsky LH fits perfectly as a Novgorodian LH.

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I agree on Jean
    There were huge resist against removing her though, when I wanted to do that previously
    Will update the first post with your suggestions
    Rudolf has a really good chance to make it in if there is suitable art. Any ideas?

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yeah, it will definitely get in as a leader, even if Novgorod won't be a civ
    Since I posted about the LH in the last page, it was already planned as a Kievan leader (see the first post)
    If Novgorod is included, obviously he will be moved there

4. Rorgloin

Rorgloin Warlord

Since we are adding Scotland, I think it would be nice to include one of the Stuarts as a leaderhead in addition to Robert the Bruce. Perhaps James VI of Scotland?
    I see they also have a Mary Queen of Scots we could use. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11097
    We could use this leaderhead for another of the Stuarts-- perhaps James II of Scotland? http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12147
    Also, what about adding Oliver Cromwell as an English LH? Maybe conditionally with certain civics or stability? http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13275

5. simplicissimus

simplicissimus Chieftain

Here is a link to German wiki with a picture of his grave-monument. Probably the most accurate portrait of Rudolf. I would say he looks similar to Caesar - he would just need a new haircut ;)!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rudolf_von_Habsburg_Speyer.jpg

6. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Prince

This is definitely a petty gripe but if you do eventually add Byzantine leaders that aren't Justinian please don't have their theme be something other than Justinian's. His last theme is my favorite in the entire game. And no it's not just because I'm a great big pipe organ nut. If you don't want to hear the same theme from Byzantium the entire game then maybe replace Justinian with Theodora and rip the Byzantine Peace Theme from Civ 5?

7. simplicissimus

simplicissimus Chieftain

What about Otto I. (the Great) as starting leader for Germany? His victory over the Magyars at the Battle of the Lechfeld is very important. Some historians support the thesis that with this victory the Eastern Franks becme the Germans and the Magyars settled down and converted to Christianity!

8. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Hungarians already settled down in the Carpathian basin by that time, at least from 895
    But the battle of Augsburg/Lechfeld was more or less the end of the "hungarian adventures", the huge campaigns and raids through Europe:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_invasions_of_Europe

9. simplicissimus

simplicissimus Chieftain

I know but according to online-dictionary leo "to settle down" also means "sich beruhigen" or "beständig werden" in German which can be translated as getting calm/steady and that is what I ment! I was a bit in a hurry and wasn´t able to find a more suitable phrase.:rolleyes:
    But thanks for the map! What I didn´t know is that they got as far as the Iberian peninsula and Apulia! Wow!

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Those were minor ones compared to the bigger campaigns in Germany or France
    But yeah, they were pretty reckless (and badass ;))

During the first part of the 10th century, Hungarians managed to threaten much of Western Europe.
    Therefore it was a common saying at that time: "A sagittis Hungarorum, libera nos Domine!" (Lord, save us from the arrows of the Hungarians)

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I would like to add a second leader for Scotland, Aragon, and the Dutch
    Currently those are the only civs with one leader
    Any suggestions?

12. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

For Scotland, Mary I Queen of Scots
    For Aragon, John II of Aragon
    Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange for the Netherlands, or maybe Maurice of Nassau?

13. Swarbs

Swarbs Emperor

For Scotland, James IV. He was the most successful of the Stewart monarchs, and involved in two of the Scottish UHVs - he bought the Isles under royal control, and renewed the Auld Alliance with France. He should replace Robert the Bruce in 1371, to signify the rise of the Stewart line in Scotland.

I agree with Baron03 about John II of Aragon.

Not sure about the Dutch - they appear so late that one leader seems appropriate. The choice would largely be determined by the need to roughly split the 220 years for which the Dutch appear in the mod, which would make it William III (also King of Great Britain) or William IV. If we're to make Frederick Henry or Maurice of Nassau historical then they would replaced William within around 60 years of the Dutch spawn.

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Both John II and James IV seem like good choices

Not sure on Mary though, I'm not convinced she is significant enough as a ruler, even if she is very well-known
    On a related thought: a couple years back I wanted to remove Jean d'Arc, but there was huge objection against it. I guess people got too used to it
    What's the opinion on her now, with all the extra leaders added?

Merijn, any thoughts on adding a second Dutch leader?

15. Swarbs

Swarbs Emperor

I'd agree on Mary. She's only known as "Queen of Scots" to differentiate her from Mary I of England. In real life she did very little for Scotland, spending most of her reign in France, precipitating religious strife with every action, and fleeing to England after being forced to abdicate.

Jeanne d'Arc is a funny one. I'd lean towards replacing her with Charles VII who was the monarch who eventually negotiated an alliance with Burgundy and drove the English out of most of France. Jeanne would be one of his great generals or great saints.

16. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I have to agree with this :) :mischief:

17. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yeah, he is on my list of potential leaders
    But he is somewhat close to Willem van Oranje, is there any other good candidates?

Would be great if we could include William I and the United Kingdom of the Netherlands.
    1815 is too late though :/

19. ales_

ales_ Heir

You can always expand the timeline of the mod...

20. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

Joan of Arc makes no sense as a leader