RFCEurope 1.1

Would it be possible to adjust Bavaria's borders so Augsburg lies within it? It would be nice to actually have a city in Bavaria most of the time, since Salzburg is often settled 1 tile outside the province as well.

Problem there is that it screws up the 1st French UHV what with having to control Swabia and all. Agreed that Bavaria is under-settled though.

Well, you can always go ahead and settle Munich yourself. It's a decent spot despite being squeezed in between Augsburg and Vienna.

Problem there is that it screws up the 1st French UHV what with having to control Swabia and all. Agreed that Bavaria is under-settled though.

Maybe France should just settle a city then (more to the west)? That corner is already very busy. You have Augsburg, usually Salzburg, Vienna on Austria's spawn. I crammed Munich in there for the Austrian UHV, and then there were four cities, each separated by maximum two squares.

Great idea, I like it!
-2 seems fine to me too, a good tradeoff for the human player
Not totally sure of the AI though, I don't really want to see any of them collapsing because completing a couple colonies

Thanks! :)

I agree about the AI - I was thinking it should mainly be for a human player. Always seemed to me that by the time one of the colonial powers begins colonising they are usually pretty stable in their historic and border areas with all the stability buildings and not expanding any more in Europe. So it seemed like some sort of stability challenge was needed in the late game.

I'd recommend including some sort of "historic bonus" for the colonial civs. For Spain the Conquest of the Aztecs shouldn't really correspond to founding a city in a foreign territory, I think.
(Nevertheless, around that time you have public works and banks so your stability should usually be fine, unless you're Venice^^)

The Spanish conquest of the Aztecs was actually quite destabilising to their empire. It led to the forty year long Chichimeca war and the two century long conquest of the Yucatan. Even the successful and historic colonies tended to draw off a lot of time and effort from the countries pursuing them, and the fact there were indigenous populations meant it was essentially like founding settlements in foreign territory.

Ultimately I don't think a human civ would ever collapse as a result of these penalties, but like you say it would force them to build more stability buildings and actually care about their domestic empire, rather than just focusing on colonies right, left and centre.

Maybe France should just settle a city then (more to the west)? That corner is already very busy. You have Augsburg, usually Salzburg, Vienna on Austria's spawn. I crammed Munich in there for the Austrian UHV, and then there were four cities, each separated by maximum two squares.

I agree with you. I think Ausburg should be in Bavaria (as it is in RL), and Strasbourg should spawn at 500AD on the west bank of the Rhine, 1SW of the honey, with one archer for defence.

France should have to conquer both of those to win the UHV. The Burgundian flip zone should extent one tile E to include Strasbourg (just) to give Burgundy a bit of a buff on spawn, as they are currently pretty weak and too easy for France to squash, particularly if Marseille or Lyon have been razed.

Whilst that gives France an extra city to conquer, it will be a pretty easy one to grab and thus won't make the UHV notably harder. In fact, it may make it a bit easier as France can get a fourth city early, with decent production due to the cow, honey and hills.

It will also avoid the current problem of there being a massive hole in French territory between Lyon and Ausburg, and the Germans often settling there on spawn and thus cramping Burgundy further. Also avoids the human French being able to settle in between the German and Burgundian spawn zones, further cramping both civs.

Historically:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strasbourg#Argentoratum
"Early in the fifth century, the Alemanni appear to have crossed the Rhine, conquered, and then settled what is today Alsace and a large part of Switzerland. The town was occupied successively in the fifth century by Alemanni, Huns and Franks. In the ninth century it was commonly known as Strazburg in the local language, as documented in 842 by the Oaths of Strasbourg."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Frankish_Empire_481_to_814-en.svg
Shows Strasbourg and Swabia as one of the first Frankish conquests after 500AD

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...re_carolingien_au_Traité_de_Verdun_en_843.JPG
Shows Strasbourg as Burgundian after Verdun

It wasn't part of Bavaria until 1806. Wikipedia is always right :) Then again, we need to simplify, so just adding the square to Bavaria would be better I think.

I think that depends on how you define Bavaria. I'd prefer to think of the region as a whole, rather than the various kingdoms, duchies and stem duchies that were formed there.

And from a gameplay point of view, Ausburg and Bavaria was captured by Charlemagne around 780, almost 300 years after Clovis captured Strasbourg and Swabia, so it makes sense from a gameplay point of view to have separate cities in separate regions.

Is there any progress with the random events? I have some cool ideas I'd like to suggest ;)

They are low priority
Still, we should have an ever updating thread about the best event ideas

Does anyone have a good strategy for the Arabs ? I'm stuck with the third UHV. I've managed to spread up to 32% Islam till 1660 but then the Ottomans collapsed and it reduced to 30%. I pushed things a bit and got it to 31% by spreading Islam to Ireland, but its 1707 and I'm still 4% short :( . I'm playing the latest patch.

My strategy (although I have to admit it has been quite some time ago since I played the Arabs) is to build a continuous empire from the Levant to Oran/Alger. Just play on and you will get the UHV automatically, as your (Islamic) population grows very big.

Just make sure of the following things:
1. Get the Gardens of Al Andalus to get the irrigation power.
2. Adopt Manorialism and Serfdom to boost all farms.
3. Build farms on all plain tiles in North Africa.
4. Found Hanseatic League. The food bonus is very useful to get a lot of (Islamic) population. As there is a lot of salt (and the other bonus too), the food bonus you can get is huge. (+9 food is not that hard)

AFAIK the religious goals, and the religious % on the F7 screen, are influenced by the number of cities with each religion, not by the population of the cities.

So the solution to getting over the required target for the Arabs is either to spam settlers, to conquer more cities, or to get open borders with other civs and send in the missionaries. Somewhat ironically, to get the religious goal you often need to adopt Free Religion to get rid of the diplo penalty for being Islamic in order to open borders with enough civs to spread Islam!

Why one city in Moldova province, have name "Pathragada"? I tried to look for some informations in web, but I did not find anything.

It sounds like hindu/sanskrit name for the city. But it is a Bulgarian town.

Why one city in Moldova province, have name "Pathragada"? I tried to look for some informations in web, but I did not find anything.

It sounds like hindu/sanskrit name for the city. But it is a Bulgarian town.

Ofc mistake. It's the name of Persian city.

Top Bottom