RFCEurope 1.1

Playing as Magyars. Mongol Barbarians spawn in my lands (stack of 4 units), not near the borders. Is it really supposed to happen like that?

And about Austria. It's too easy to crush them after their spawn.

Yeah, it's intentional. Sassanids, Mongols and Seljuks can spawn inside your cultural borders.
Austria could use a little buff on their spawn.

Yeah, it's intentional. Sassanids, Mongols and Seljuks can spawn inside your cultural borders.
Austria could use a little buff on their spawn.

I just haven't played RFCE for a long time, since beta 5 or 6. I prepared to meet Mongols in Transylvania, but they prefered to spawn near weak-defended Eger and I was like :eek: They really gave me a hard time.

I got the colony maintenance somewhat coded. It works in the financial advisor, as you can see in the screenshot. However, the amount of gold I have to pay each turn doesn't match with that. (See the other screenshot)

However, before I linked the upkeep cost to the amount of colonies, I made that amount a fixed number. This to test if the advisor screen was working properly. I did work properly then. The total upkeep in the financial advisor was equal to the amount I had to each turn. (I only had upkeep costs, no income)

NOTE: You notice that my gold reserve isn't the same in both screenshot. The screenshot aren't taken in the same turn.

@ absinthered
Should I upload the code, so you can take a look at it?

@ absinthered

Yeah, upload your code here (changed files), so I can check what's wrong
Hopefully I will be able to find it soon enough

Thanks, will look at it on Saturday/Sunday!

Do colonies provide instability? Cos that is something I think they should definitely do (for a human player at least). Historically, colonialism played a role in several major social movements, and even riots and rebellions (chartism, French Revolution, abolitionism etc) and I think that would be a good check on rampant colonialism by human players.

The colonialism civic could then be changed to offset some or all of the negative stability effects of a large colonial empire (-2 stability per colony changed to -1 if you have colonialism would be my suggestion).

-2 stability seems a bit too much, and changing it to -1 with colonialism doesn't seem like much (even though that is effectively colonialism right now). In my opinion if you're going to do this colonialism should remove the penalty entirely.

-2 stability seems a bit too much, and changing it to -1 with colonialism doesn't seem like much (even though that is effectively colonialism right now). In my opinion if you're going to do this colonialism should remove the penalty entirely.

Isn't -2 approximately the penalty you get for founding cities in foreign zones? Seems that's essentially what colonies are - a settlement in a foreign zone which makes it harder to keep a large empire together.

I'd see colonialism as something of a counterpoint to imperialism - both make it less costly, from a stability point of view, to expand outside your core area in Europe. And even a -2 penalty shouldn't be too significant, given that by the time you reach the colonial period you should have plenty of spare stability from manor houses, courthouses and castles. I don't think imperialism completely removes the penalty from holding cities outside your core?

I am sorry if this was brought up before, but now when Morholt has completely disappeared is there any chance to bring HRE internal relations mechanic into main RFCE? I really really miss it, and consider breakthrough novelty which allowed us for the first time to experience internal politics.

Lack of internal strive is biggest oversimplification in all the Civ series (apart from "Your decision was overruled by Senate" from Civ 2, if anyone remembers).

I mean real life leaders spend most of their time battling domestic political rivals, not foreigners. Civ series mainly concentrate on foreign relations and foreign diplomacy. There is no comprehensive modmod addressing reality of internal politics. HRE mechanics was the closest thing I ever saw. Can we please merge it with v. 1.1?

No. It is not functional. Just consider the broken voter mechanism.

The biggest problem is that we don't have Morholt's sourcecode for the DLL. All things he has done in python for the HRE mechanic can be used. But the hardcoded stuff can't be used without the sourcecode.

But... IIRC, srpt is working on a similar system for RFCGermania. Maybe we can borrow some of that code.

Do colonies provide instability? Cos that is something I think they should definitely do (for a human player at least). Historically, colonialism played a role in several major social movements, and even riots and rebellions (chartism, French Revolution, abolitionism etc) and I think that would be a good check on rampant colonialism by human players.

The colonialism civic could then be changed to offset some or all of the negative stability effects of a large colonial empire (-2 stability per colony changed to -1 if you have colonialism would be my suggestion).

Isn't -2 approximately the penalty you get for founding cities in foreign zones? Seems that's essentially what colonies are - a settlement in a foreign zone which makes it harder to keep a large empire together.

I'd see colonialism as something of a counterpoint to imperialism - both make it less costly, from a stability point of view, to expand outside your core area in Europe. And even a -2 penalty shouldn't be too significant, given that by the time you reach the colonial period you should have plenty of spare stability from manor houses, courthouses and castles. I don't think imperialism completely removes the penalty from holding cities outside your core?

Great idea, I like it!
-2 seems fine to me too, a good tradeoff for the human player
Not totally sure of the AI though, I don't really want to see any of them collapsing because completing a couple colonies

Great idea, I like it!
-2 seems fine to me too, a good tradeoff for the human player
Not totally sure of the AI though, I don't really want to see any of them collapsing because completing a couple colonies

I'd recommend including some sort of "historic bonus" for the colonial civs. For Spain the Conquest of the Aztecs shouldn't really correspond to founding a city in a foreign territory, I think.
(Nevertheless, around that time you have public works and banks so your stability should usually be fine, unless you're Venice^^)

I think it's better if we give the penalty only to the AI. We can always run some test to prove it's not harmful, although I think it is.

@ Absinthered
I already looked at the code how it's done. I think I'm able to code it. (Even I can do copy-paste :p) You can focus on other things.

I think it's better if we give the penalty only to the AI. We can always run some test to prove it's not harmful, although I think it is.

@ Absinthered
I already looked at the code how it's done. I think I'm able to code it. (Even I can do copy-paste :p) You can focus on other things.

Actually I already added the stability penalty
It's only a couple changed lines in the stability.py
Code:
	def onProjectBuilt(self, iPlayer, iProject):
		pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
		iCivic5 = pPlayer.getCivics(5)

if (iProject >= xml.iNumNotColonies):
			pPlayer.changeStabilityBase( iCathegoryExpansion, -2 ) # -2 stability for each colony
			if (iCivic5 == 29):
				pPlayer.changeStabilityBase( iCathegoryExpansion, 1 ) # one less stability penalty if civ is in Colonialism
		self.recalcEpansion( pPlayer )

I got the colony maintenance somewhat coded. It works in the financial advisor, as you can see in the screenshot. However, the amount of gold I have to pay each turn doesn't match with that. (See the other screenshot)

However, before I linked the upkeep cost to the amount of colonies, I made that amount a fixed number. This to test if the advisor screen was working properly. I did work properly then. The total upkeep in the financial advisor was equal to the amount I had to each turn. (I only had upkeep costs, no income)

NOTE: You notice that my gold reserve isn't the same in both screenshot. The screenshot aren't taken in the same turn.

@ absinthered

Here they are.
It should contain a python and a text file.

Checked it
You didn't add any actual colony upkeep, only the colony upkeep line in the finance advisor
That calculates a sum based on the colonies, but only for displaying it there.

Will add some proper upkeep tonight if you want me to
And upload it with the colony stability change in my next commit

I knew it was only that. It's indeed not very difficult, that's why I thought I could do it.
But I have a question though:
Code:
pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
Does this only select the human player, or just a player that builds a colony?
(I've seen something like getHumanID in python files several times. I'm wondering if something like that should be added. Or will iPlayer only refer to the human player?)

Go ahead with the colony upkeep.
But the strange thing is, when I coded a fixed number for colony upkeep (iColonyUpkeep = 2), the real upkeep was changed. So that made me think it worked. Only when I made the upkeep dependent on the number of colonies, it didn't work.
It could also be that some other thing changed which increased my upkeep during that. I might have missed that and mistakenly thinking that my change increased the upkeep.

Top Bottom