Resource icon

[BNW] Rhye's Catapult 2020-06-02

Sounds great Rhye! I am sure a finished mid will draw people to civ5. It kept me playing civ4 for years and years after going to civ5.

Have you considered opening a discord server?

Last edited:
Short update:

I have worked on integration with other mods, and I can confirm that integration with VP is not possible (neither desirable), and the CP is also unlikely to be possible (got a lot of crashes to desktop, and many mechanics are broken).
Instead, VMC's bugfixes + SmartAI seem to work smoothly. Only problem: I don't know how to figure out, ingame, if that AI is really working! Any idea?

new screenshots from v52

Attachments

• v52_nazi.png
    v52_nazi.png
    875 KB · Views: 304
  • v52_ussr.png
    v52_ussr.png
    906.9 KB · Views: 407
new screenshots from v52
Great news from you, Rhye! Your mod for Civ 4 was a masterpiece! Similar project for Civ 5 will be popular too. Where can I download newest version (v52)? Is this wonderfull modpack released in Steam Workshop?

Great news from you, Rhye! Your mod for Civ 4 was a masterpiece! Similar project for Civ 5 will be popular too. Where can I download newest version (v52)? Is this wonderfull modpack released in Steam Workshop?

Thank you.
I suspended uploading regularly the updated versions.

When it's near completion, it will be available everywhere - Steam, here and others

New update!

In v53, Stability indicators are implemented.
There will be 4 categories:
- Economy
- Population
- Military
- Territory

Many factors will influence their score, and negative totals will put the empire at risk of collapse.
For now, it's all happening in the background, but the next thing to do is to add actions that the human player can do to fix stability problems.

Other news: the mod works fine with VMC and apparently Smart AI too (although I have no way to understand ingame if it's really being used). It doesn't work with CP, which will not be integrated.

Speaking of Mod integrations - Legit can't remember if I already brought it up or someone else has, but getting EUI to work well would be a good way to go about things. I tried and there are few screens that break (Demographics being one of them).

Speaking of Mod integrations - Legit can't remember if I already brought it up or someone else has, but getting EUI to work well would be a good way to go about things. I tried and there are few screens that break (Demographics being one of them).

yes, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, as I could perhaps make a EUI-specific patch that fixes the overridden files. But it would come as last thing, as the development of core features has the priority.

Rhye, first of all, thank you very much! I had been checking your page all this years, hoping you will finish this mod.
Now, a few suggestion, if you don't mind:
1.Scandinavia, Babilonia and Siam, and Poland must be added, map is too empty without them. But don't give Scandinavia galleasses on start, it will make them too strong.
2. Ship and embarcation moves should be extendet. It took 2 or 3 centuries for me to circumnavigate the globe. And could you also icrease trade route distances in Astronomy tech, so it would be possible to send cargo ship from Europe to Australia.
3. Could you please increase techs cost dramaticly? Playing as Japan, I built my first bomber in 17-th century. AI is pretty stupid in Civ V, it can only fight back on immortal level, but the reseach tech speed is too high, and it gives no chance to late civilizations.
4. Could you please add a salt in Europe and Middlle East? I belive, historicaly it was in South Sweden (Gotland), in Germany Alpes, in Poland, in Russia close to Ural mountines and in Egypt. And add more luxries in Eastrern Europe, may be gold in Hungary and silver in Saxonia, and more luxuries in Siberia. In Civ V it's very hard to build cities without luxuries, wich makes imposible for Russia to compleat colonisation quest and makes Germany too weak. Playing Scandinavia I colonised Baltic, Ukrane and Black see coast, becouse no one did that, that's why we need Poland and more luxuries. For Russia, may be you could give 2 happines bonus to their unique building - Krepost, like it was in vanilla Civ V, to help them colonise Siberia.
5. Could you add more fish resourses in Greece and South Italia, please, after all that's a craddle of western civilization, they must be stronger. Make them two in Athens, one in Halicarnasus, one in Syracuses, one in Neapolis, one in Epirus. Otherwise Greek cities don't grow. Remove Troy, please, so Greece could colonise Anatolia coast. Add Bisantium instead of Troy, that city was very importent for the western civilization history, and Greek AI don't tend to buid it. And is it possible to remove warmonger penalty for conqeuring city states, so AI would do it? In that case you could add Neapolis, Marsilla, Halicarnasus, Chersonesos and Synope city state to simulate Greek colonization, and make Greece, Rome, Carthago and Persia to fight each other for those cities. Greece should have much more technologies on start, so they could compleat "Build temple of Artemis, Colossus, Oracle and Parthenon" UHV. And since RFC 4, I dream about "Greek colonisation" UHV, which could be "found Bisantium, Neapolis, Marsilla, Halicarnasus, Chersonesos and Synope". Also, could you please move a lighthouse and embarcation to "Sailing" tech and Harbor to "Optics", so classical cives could colonise mediterranean.
6. Could you add Harran or Mazaka city state and flip it to Persia, to make them more active in Anatollia and Siria. Also set Armenia city state date to more early and flip it to Persia. And hystoricaly Phoenicians cities joined Persia voluntarily, so Sur could flip to Persia instead of Carthago. Set Persia in war with Babilonia, and give Persia more units on start, to give them chance to conquer Babilon.
7. Carthago is strong enough without Sur. And it's history began when Sur was conqured by Assiria and Babilonia. Just give them settler in Spain on start, AI dosen't colonise Spain. Free Harbor in coastal cities gives Carthago tones of gold, and their quinquerems and Elefants are very tough, so one of their UHV could be to retake Sur. And could you please add "Rock of Gibraltar" in Spain?
8. Rome is weak on the orther hand. Could it possible to make Legions and Ballistas stronger? AI couldn't even conquer Galic city states. And give Rome some trirems on start so they can opose Carthago, and reduce road maintenense so they have enouth money to support units. In general, give much more gold on start to every civ, wich have additional units and settlers on start, so they don't loose science while building markets and could buy tiles with strategic and luxuries resourses. And coud you remove forest from the iron tile in Rome? Several times I saw Rome raised by Huns, becouse they didn't improve those iron tile. City culture adds tiles with forest in last turn. And is it possible to get back those Colosseum wonder for Rome, and make it to give 10 or 7 happiness? Happines and money would be constant Rome problems, if they will get those "controll Gallia, Iberia and Germany" UHV.
9. Could you forbide Huns to raise capitals, or cities with wonders, please? It's annoying, when they raise Rome. And set them to war with Greece, Persia, Carthago also. One time I played Greece and blocked with my city the way for Huns to Italy. So, Attilla was cursing me but didn't attacked. And please, don't flip Black sea cities to Huns, give a player chance to protect them.
10. Could you please add several hills in desert in Egypt and Babylon, so building Petra could have any sense? Also, could your icrease food amount for flood plants tiles, or let build farms on them? Now flood plants gives only 2 food from tile, and Egypt doesn't look like the land, wich could feed the whole Mediterranean.
11. And about wonders. Great Library gives too much bonus on start, so it should be moved to more late tech, such as Mathematics. And about Pyramids: basicaly, in Civ V there are two strategy - Tall and Wide Empire. Tall means player have a few, but wery developed cities. Wide means player have many small cities. And in your mod Egypt tends to be a tall empire, and Greece, Rome and Carthago - wide. Tall empires start with Tradition Policy, and wide empires start with Liberty Policy. So, would it possible to unlock Pyramids and Hanging Gardens with Tradition Policy, and unlock Temple of Artemis and Oracle (or Colosseum if you will add it) with Liberty policy, and switch Temple of Artemis and Pyramids bonuses. Becouse more food and archers is more desirble for Egypt, and two wokers, and faster improvements building for Greece and Rome. And could you move temple of Artemis to "The Wheel" tech, so Greece have more chances to build it? And it would be better to change Parthenon bonus, giving it bonus similar to the Leaning tower of Pisa (+ 25% generating of great people).
12. Also, the lack of hills and forests in Netherland makes this civ unproductive, and unviable. There is no workshop improvement in Civ V, which makes hills and forest tiles the only source of production. Also, add Inverness city state in Scotland, please.
13. Could you please make whales richable for Kagoshima in Japan? And add fish in Hokkido?
14. Also, could you icorporate "Civilization IV Diplomatic Features" in your mod, becouse diplomacy is very dull in Civ V. And remove jungle from mining resourse tiles. You can build plantation on jungle tiles, but you can't build mines on jungle tiles in your mod. And !!please!!!!, I beg you on my knees, let us russians clean marshes after Biology tech.

Anyway, thank you very much, I had tons of fun playing your mod, and I'm very eager about seeing it more developed. And also, forgive my english, this was the bigest text, I ever wrote in english.

Hi, thank you very much!
Some things are easy to fix, some others less so.
Here are my replies:

1. Scandinavia, Babilonia and Siam already are in the map - either as a major civ or as a minor civ. Poland is always minor.
There is a limit of 22 civs at a time and we have to deal with that.

1B. I'll reduce one galleass.

2. They have double movement in ocean. Do you mean it took 3 centuries even with double movement?
EDIT: I just checked and the double movement doesn't seem to work. I'll investigate on this.

2B. increase trade route distances in Astronomy tech: good idea, I'll do that

3. Research speed is not tuned properly yet. In each new version something changes, and the timeline itself may change too. It will eventually be okay

4. OK, I got it. Luxuries added.

5. This is quite dangerous. "Give them one hand and they'll take one arm". But I'm planning to expand the timeline so that they have more time to expand.

5B. Troy is not always present. Byzantium is typically founded when Troy is not there. Neapolis would cripple Rome.

5C. warmonger penalty for conqeuring city states -> ok i need to check how to do that

5D. embarcation to sailing, good idea but the Greeks already start with sailing, so they can reach Optics easily

6. I'm hesitating of adding too many city states. THey slow down loading times a lot. Artaxata can be moved earlier to join Persia.

7. The thing is: it's supposed to be Phoenicia, not just Carthago

7B. Gibraltar: done.

8. weak Rome: indeed. I want to give them more time as well.

8B. is really AI incapable of using iron in presence of forest? in that case, I'll delete other forests as well

8C. more gold: ok.

9. the Huns are at war with everyone. Their new trait is that they cannot keep cities, so I can't actually forbid razing Rome. No cities should ever flip to the. If it happened, it was a bug

10. hills: done

10B. food plains: no, they would be overpowered again

11. I'm not sure, I'll think about it

12A. it's difficult to justify the addition of hills to the "low lands". I added a stone instead

12B. There's Edinburgh already, I think it's fine as it is

13. Japan: ok

14. Diplomacy: not in my current plans, but I might integrate some minor mod later

14B. remove jungle from mining resourse tiles: this would cause some balance problems, as some jungles are there on purpose and they need to stay.

14C. clean marshes: it's supposed to be after Biology; and i'm careful with that as it would affect not only Russia. Why is that critical for you?

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen, I have started resurrecting the website http://rhye.civfanatics.net/ from the dusts of time.
I will keep adding info in the upcoming days, so keep an eye on it.
I wrote an announcement on the first page (which was already obvious for you following this thread, but may be a news for others)

Last edited:
1. Maybe, you'll replace Korea with Poland. After all, Mongols, Japan or China are almost always conquering Korea X-XII century. I never saw Korea thriving in all my games. I belive, Korea most part of its history was a vassal of China, and Ming China hellped Korea to opose Japanies invasion in XVI c. (that's also another reason, why we need "civ iv diplomacy features" mod incorporated). And Poland was a very imortant part of East Europe history, without it Russia lookes like it's on another continent, complietly uninvolved in european politics. At least, think about replacing Korea with Siam.
5. Ok, but please, just try to add more sea resources in Aegean Sea, Adriatica and south Italy. Athens at least needs 2 of them, and one for Anatolian cities. And I still count on those see resourse in Epiros.
5D. Harbour in optics is more importent. Some pantheons and policies work with the city connections, don't mention about money. And Compass will still be a good tech, it gives galleasses and a caravan capacity.
7B. Gibraltar: playing England, I thought, that's a bad idea. Spanish did counquer France avery time, when they got their uniqe units. And they uniqe power works with wonders, so it'll make Spain owerpowerd. Sorry, for changing my mind so offten.
9. the Huns are at war with everyone. 3 or 4 times i played Greece, and they never attacked me. Black sea cities and Sofia fliped to them and were raised. Actually, i played V48, maybe it's just outdated. Maybe you'll remove Rome from late starts, it will fix the problem of raising Rome.
14C. It's just a weird feeling, i was always experienced, when I played your mod. Like you're about to send a rocket to space, but cann't clean marshes. By the way, may be you can add science bonus with univercities to marshes, like jungles have, and let build traiding posts on them, like you can on jungles. And archaeologist also cann't enter marsh tiles to dig.

Also, playing some late cives, I came up with some new sugesttions:

15. Cities with 4 citizens are useless without granaries and lighthouses, citizens will die from starvation before you can build them.
16. Germany also might have workshops in cities, and more units and gold on start. It starts in the middle with a weak army and everyone around tries to conquer it.
17. City states don't build workers. And sometimes, make an alince with a city state to get it's resourses is crussial for surviving. When England sends againts you her "Ships of the Line", the only way for you to survive is building your own frigates, and you need iron for them. Please, fix it.
18. Please, increase the amount of coal, aluminium, and oil resourses. In RFC IV it was hard sometimes to get even one source of them in time, and that's disapointing, when you build city close to an oil source and it's amount is 2. What Japan will do in Pacific with 2 oil? You can traid them, but AI behaviour is unpredictable, it can start a war with you, or collapse. And your units, built with it's oil will cost nothing. Or, remove the penalty for units becouse of resourse shortages.
19. Turkes never conquer Konstantinople, and look pathetic. Maybe the problem is fast research?
20. The most importent part of the Civ's V religion are buidings, purchased with faith. The most desirable is Pagoda (becouse of 2 happiness), then the Mosque, then the Cathedral (almost no one needs those stupid art work spaces). And you can choose two of them at the same time. In network games people don't even try to start a religion, if they are not shure, they can get one of those buildings. In Civ VI Firaxis solved that problem by adding more religious bilding with different bonuses, like Wat (2 happiness, 2 since, 2 faith), or Meeting House (2 h, 2 production, 2 f), and letting get only one of them. Could you do the same, please? Becouse sometimes I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor with a good religion, and sometimes I cheat to start my own, becouse for Arab, Russian, Roman and English UHVs it's very important to have a religious building with 2 happiness bonus. And make them many enough, so anyone could get one of those buidings.

And thank you, for answering, RFC 4 is still my beloved video game, RFC V lookes like it would be even better.

thank you, here's some answers:
1- Siam is already in, it's playable. I don't agree about Poland and Korea though.
5- I'll see what I can do, without brekaking any balance
7- Gibraltar is totally fine; the current balance has changed since the version you played and will keep changing. I'm running v58 currently.
9- same; the Huns are supposed to destroy cities, they for sure will attack all the civs nearby, but depends on who's around at that time
14- you can clean marshes after biology, isn't it?
15- ok, i'll try to fix it
17- this is a bug, for some weird reason the workers made by city states are just idle, they move and not work. I could, as alternative measure, create the improvements together with the city at its spawn.
18- ok
19- it's difficult to force them to do so
20- so, more powerful bonuses? A stability bonus would be attractive?

Top Bottom