Resource icon

[BNW] Rhye's Catapult 2020-06-02

17. I was using "Ingame Editor Mod" to give city states workers and they were using them just fine. May be that was the an early game, and city states didn't have technologies to improve their tiles. Or, try to give city states wokers from start.
20. More belives, that provide buildings, similar to "pagoda". Just try to start a game, use "Ingame Editor Mod" and give yourself 600-800 faith to start a religion. And in followers belives you will find "Pagoda", "Mosque" and "Cathidral". These are buildings, you can not build normal way, but you can purchase them with faith. And these are the most wanted religious bonuses. Just add more similar belives, like, for example, "Synagogues" and give them bonus, similar to Pagoda. Or, if Pagoda gives a bonus of 2 happiness|2 culture|2 faith - replace in new building culture bonus to science and make it 2 happiness|2 science|2 faith, and in another building replace culture with production, and so on, may be even a buiding with 2 happiness|2 stability|2 faith bonus. This will make late religions more attractive. I just don't know, how AI chooses those belives, sometimes it seems like it's random. And, if it's not, would it be possible to learn AI to choose new belives?

Will we see something the likes of conqueror events in Dawn of Civilization, where AIs receive some help in accomplishing their respective historical deeds, such as Greece receiving armies in Egypt, Mesopotamia and Persia to represent Alexander's empire, Rome all around the Mediterranean, first old world contact with new world civs, trading company conquerors (players can receive these latter two as well) etc.? It could be a toggleable game option in case anyone objects to playing with it, but I've grown accustomed to it after years of playing DoC. However in DoC the AIs aren't allowed to achieve historical victories, even if they meet all the goals.

Will we see something the likes of conqueror events in Dawn of Civilization, where AIs receive some help in accomplishing their respective historical deeds, such as Greece receiving armies in Egypt, Mesopotamia and Persia to represent Alexander's empire, Rome all around the Mediterranean, first old world contact with new world civs, trading company conquerors (players can receive these latter two as well) etc.? It could be a toggleable game option in case anyone objects to playing with it, but I've grown accustomed to it after years of playing DoC. However in DoC the AIs aren't allowed to achieve historical victories, even if they meet all the goals.

Yeah I remember how Civ IV's RFC had a mechanic granting you instant units when reaching the New World!

Yeah I remember how Civ IV's RFC had a mechanic granting you instant units when reaching the New World!
I didn't play RFC all that much so I didn't know it was a feature from the parent mod :) but I think RFC lacked the other conqueror spawns.

Hi, the download link isn't working. Where can I download this mod? I understand it's work in progress, but I want to play the world map at least!

I would like to script specific events happening at specific years for specific civs (except for spawn of major and minor civs), because it seems to strict to me, but I am trying to address things to develop in a certain way by other means.
One of these is an event like the conquerors event. It's not specific to Spain so it's not hardwiring too much. If you have some ideas about how to make similar epochal events more generic, let me know your suggestions.

Btw, Are you planning on implementing Historical Goals in this version?

Yes, I am, but it will be made in a different way.
The 3 goals as they were are gone.
I am introducing a new concept: the "Role-Playing Victory".
I haven't started working on it yet (got a couple of things to finish first), but stay tuned because when the time comes I'll need your fresh ideas

In the meantime, a quick update.
I added a Pirate minor civ. They spawn in historical pirate locations (Tortuga, Port Royal, etc.) and their town is destroyed when conquered.
From what I've seen they seem to be able to cause problems to other civs and even capture coastal cities (as in the screenshot)

Attachments

• v59_2021-01-18_pirates.jpg
    v59_2021-01-18_pirates.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 294
I have been playing around with natural wonders. Some have came out very nice (see Vesuvius and Etna in the screenshot) but some others (Mont Saint Michel, Loch Ness) failed as I could not figure out how to let it read my custom graphics.
Does anyone have any experience with modding that?

Attachments

• vulcaniCUT_v62_2021-02-12.jpg
    vulcaniCUT_v62_2021-02-12.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 182
I would like to script specific events happening at specific years for specific civs (except for spawn of major and minor civs), because it seems to strict to me, but I am trying to address things to develop in a certain way by other means.
One of these is an event like the conquerors event. It's not specific to Spain so it's not hardwiring too much. If you have some ideas about how to make similar epochal events more generic, let me know your suggestions.
Could you clarify your intentions regarding this? I'm glad to help with ideas but I think I'm receiving mixed signals from this message.

Could you clarify your intentions regarding this? I'm glad to help with ideas but I think I'm receiving mixed signals from this message.

In Civilization 4's RFC, there was an event known as the "Conqueror" which I presume was the event referencing the New World Colonization period by the Europeans.

In Civ 4 RFC, this was triggered by the first European nation to meet any of the New World nations. Which would trigger plague in the new world and spawn units for the European to "take over" the new world.

What Rhys wants is more flexible events, so instead of forcing the Spanish to trigger this, any of the Europeans could do it, even Germany.

He probably is refering to other known world events (like Greece conquering Egypt) and make them more flexible for other nations?

So an other event could be the start of World War 1 and World War 2.

yes sorry my sentence was confusing. Marsmallow bear explained more correctly.
I'd like also to add a couple of considerations:
- there is a new victory system and it would be good to tie the events to the victory points
- adding historical events is a potentially endless job, so it has to be carefully thought

I have been playing around with natural wonders. Some have came out very nice (see Vesuvius and Etna in the screenshot) but some others (Mont Saint Michel, Loch Ness) failed as I could not figure out how to let it read my custom graphics.
Does anyone have any experience with modding that?
update: Mont Saint Michel was represented fairly well, so I think that's fine now.

Now it's alpha v62 and the biggest overhaul since quite some time, because I changed the timeline to 650 turns (they were 540). Indeed it was the right decision as now the Romans have time to make an empire, and the age of colonisation is not rushed. All eras move on slower except for the Ancient, which is slightly faster. This means that Phoenicians and Persians etc. will join earlier to keep company to the starters.

I also modified the tech tree to adapt to the new timeline and to bring into the game one concept by Jared Diamond in Guns Germs and Steel.
He stated that power shifted from fertile areas in the Middle East to north (Mediterranean, then Europe) and colder places. Those colder places were indeed useless land at the time of the Romans.
So what's the solution?
Grassland will produce only 1 food at the beginning. This also has a strong balance effect in slowing down overpowered China and India.
A new tech in the Middle Ages called Heavy Plough will add +1 food to all grasslands. All European civs will start with that tech. This also mirrors the population boom after year 1000AD thanks to the invention of the heavy plough and new farming techniques.

update: Mont Saint Michel was represented fairly well, so I think that's fine now.

Now it's alpha v62 and the biggest overhaul since quite some time, because I changed the timeline to 650 turns (they were 540). Indeed it was the right decision as now the Romans have time to make an empire, and the age of colonisation is not rushed. All eras move on slower except for the Ancient, which is slightly faster. This means that Phoenicians and Persians etc. will join earlier to keep company to the starters.

I also modified the tech tree to adapt to the new timeline and to bring into the game one concept by Jared Diamond in Guns Germs and Steel.
He stated that power shifted from fertile areas in the Middle East to north (Mediterranean, then Europe) and colder places. Those colder places were indeed useless land at the time of the Romans.
So what's the solution?
Grassland will produce only 1 food at the beginning. This also has a strong balance effect in slowing down overpowered China and India.
A new tech in the Middle Ages called Heavy Plough will add +1 food to all grasslands. All European civs will start with that tech. This also mirrors the population boom after year 1000AD thanks to the invention of the heavy plough and new farming techniques.

I'm so excited this, oh how I wish Firaxis allowed Mods to be playable in Civ 5 in hotseat! I twas one of my favorite activites in Civ 4 in RFC.

Top Bottom