Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy who was making that "Conquer the Earth" mod implement something interesting in the form of impassible mountains, basically, this is to prevent the European civs from expanding into Asia, to keep Asia isolated as it was historically for hundreds of years.

Horton said:
I haven't played 2.62 extensively yet but in my 2 test games as the Austrians I have popped 8+ goody huts and have not gotten barbarians once. I think changing the barbarian uprisings may have somehow broken the huts.

Correct.

The new system has some collateral effects:
-goody huts do not produce barbarians. And this is good in some aspects, as sometimes barbs popping out too early crippled some civs that never recovered.
-barbarian units may leave their camp. Well, this doesn't change the important thing: to have to gold you have to kill them, sooner or later.
-Each uprising, camps will pop up in lands often impossible to reach (far Siberia or Alaska). Instead of popping up full of swordsmen, they'll pop up empty. You can take the 25 gold.

This is a small price to pay: it's really worth the fact that another big problem is gone.
As written in the readme, uprisings are realistic in random maps, because you'll get attacked at the new age by a horde. But in case of static maps, the camps placed in the realistic locations are destroyed by Middle Ages. 400+ unit will stand in their place, far from any city and any realistic spot.
Remember: 1'23'' in 1900!!! Before it was 2:30 - 3 minutes

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
The guy who was making that "Conquer the Earth" mod implement something interesting in the form of impassible mountains, basically, this is to prevent the European civs from expanding into Asia, to keep Asia isolated as it was historically for hundreds of years.

I have impassable moutains, too. But there's plains and desert under the Uralis.

Jaguar said:
I'd be happy to beta test the expansion pack of the mod. I have fairly free weekends.

Very well. I need people who:
-know very well civ3 and knows if something's unbalancing
or
-know very well history and can clarify some doubts.

and
-have some time to give feedback. Not just - download and play. Or download an post an alternative version - ahem - :rolleyes:

I need the emails, as I'll send dy by mail the link to the biq.
I've already Asclepius'.

I need yours and Balsphemous's

And Horton, are you in? I consider your opinion very important.

Rhye said:
I have impassable moutains, too. But there's plains and desert under the Uralis.

But when you make the plains LM plains that can only be settled by this "stepped settler" there will be no more western europeans in the ural area.

Blackbeard said:
I think he want to explain that this kind of settler can only settle in special kind of areas.
This areas will be estimate by some kind of LM terrain, so that only some civ´s who can build this kind of settler will be able to settle in this kind of LM terrain.

If that's the meaning, it can't be done. If a terrain is settleable, it is by all the settlers.

I sent you a PM with my email address.
Am I right in understanding the new barbarian system is simply that there is no "basic barbarian unit" and no "advanced barbarian unit" but instead just units that you placed belonging to A Barbarian Chiefdom?

Yes. If you look in the editor, you'll find warriors in Europe and Asia, archers in America, Spearmen in America, North Africa and Asia, Horsemen in Russia, Camelry in the Asian desert (a real threat: they ignore desert movement cost!), dark-skinned spearmen in Africa, Chariots in Middle East.
And galleys in the locations where ancient piracy or seafaring tribes were.

Rhye said:
If that's the meaning, it can't be done. If a terrain is settleable, it is by all the settlers.

I have no plan how to create new unit´s. But it must be a total new kind of settler with a special ability. i like the idea.

btw
It is the first time I played a world map, till this day, into the modern area.
In fact of the loading times a give all the others a break.
I like this mod very much. There are still 28 civ´s and comfortable loading times between the turns.

Thanks a lot Rhye. :thumbsup:

Great! I think I'll get back to playing tomorrow... Haven't played in a week or two, been too busy studying and playing Diablo II... Such an addictive game (though not as much as civ, thank goodness.)

Never planned Diablo 1 or 2, just Black Isle and Biowere's Dungeons and Dragons Computer RPGs like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Any good?

I checked the read-me for this mod, seems like its a basic mod with few additions unit and tech wise, and lots of unique additions like new colors and terrain. I understand why you'd disagree with the "New Techs, New Units=Good" approach...I always thought that it depended on the techs and units being added...

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Never planned Diablo 1 or 2, just Black Isle and Biowere's Dungeons and Dragons Computer RPGs like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Any good?

Some years ago I completed Diablo 2 with the druid and NWN. I stopped playing Baldurs Gate at the beginning.
Finished the old Ultimas :goodjob: and Gothic 1.

I still have to play Gothic 2 and Knights of the old republic, but I have no time...why? :D

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I checked the read-me for this mod, seems like its a basic mod with few additions unit and tech wise, and lots of unique additions like new colors and terrain. I understand why you'd disagree with the "New Techs, New Units=Good" approach...I always thought that it depended on the techs and units being added...

Most of the people think in that way. And judge my mod at the first look: "only 3-4 units added, compared to 100+? No good."
However the Xpack with all the units will be done to satisfy the common opinions, and to match with Rise and Rule :p
But my additions won't be "put in any unit that I can".
I have a basic plan to make a decent pack. But with a little more effort I can make a great pack. But this doesn't depend on me.

Blackbeard said:
I have no plan how to create new unit´s. But it must be a total new kind of settler with a special ability. i like the idea.

btw
It is the first time I played a world map, till this day, into the modern area.
In fact of the loading times a give all the others a break.
I like this mod very much. There are still 28 civ´s and comfortable loading times between the turns.

Thanks a lot Rhye. :thumbsup:

The only ability you can give to a settler is "to settle". Nothing more.
If a terrain is settleable, its LM is too. And it is by all the settlers.

Rhye said:
The only ability you can give to a settler is "to settle". Nothing more.
If a terrain is settleable, its LM is too. And it is by all the settlers.

ahh. Sorry I don´t know that.

Diablo 2, with the expansion, online, is one of the best gaming experiences available IMHO... The single-player is not that awesome really (especially act 3 - yeuch!)
The core gameplay is pretty simple (click the baddies fast then click the stuff they drop) but the skill system and the item system make the whole thing very complex and the game sometimes forces you to make very tough decisions...
NWN is also great online but in a very different way... Haven't played that one in a while tho I will probably return to it sometime.
Don't know about the Baldur's Gate series, I played a bit of the first installment and got sick of it, never got around to playing the second which I heard is great.
One really good Black Isle game is Planescape: Torment. I truly regard it as one of the greatest masterpieces of the gaming industry. The plot is excellent, the many dialogues are ingeniously written and really manage to give you the feel of the world even without voice-overs (for the most part). And what a world it is! Planescape is one of the most amazing worlds ever written for any RPG ever. You've really gotta play in it to understand. The biggest tragedy is that Torment was put out of print a couple years ago (it never sold well), so it's extremely hard to get a legal copy of it nowadays. If you can find it, buy it. If you like any computer RPGs at all, and if you like reading fantasy books to some extent, it's a must-play. (I say you should like reading fantasy books because of the huge amount of text in the game which makes it alot like a highly interactive book - albeit a very very good one.)
Rhye, I reccommend you play KotOR at all costs (and yes - that includes keeping us waiting on your mod). It's an absolutely fabulous game and very well-polished... I've invested over 35 hours in it so far (with two different chars - restarted after 12 hours with my first) and I intend to finish the whole game at least once (should take another 50 hours minimum, probably more).
[PLUG=SHAMELESS]And as I see you guys like fantasy stuff, please take a look at the link in my signature that leads to the thread of a fantasy mod concept I'm working on. I could use a few minds to brainstorm with. In fact, I can't proceed without them.[/PLUG]

I think the best single player game is Gothic (and Gothic 2 is even better).
Kotor seems to me an improvement of NWN.
I liked Diablo 1 & 2, but I don't consider them RPG. Just action games.

And browsing the abandonware, the Ultimas are the best. Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 were even better than the original series.
I played Ultima Online for one year (2000/2001)

BTW, did you know that I made a mod for Civ2 in 2001?
It was about Ultima Online, and contained a graphics that's very similiar to RoC's.
And it deserved to be in the Hall of Fame 2001 :D
http://it.geocities.com/rhye_pd/main.html

Blasphemous said:
And as I see you guys like fantasy stuff, please take a look at the link in my signature that leads to the thread of a fantasy mod concept I'm working on. I could use a few minds to brainstorm with. In fact, I can't proceed without them.

mmh, I'm not much into fantasy mods. You should look at Master of Myrror and Warhammer mod to have some examples.

I dunno about Gothic, never played those two, but I do hear they are good.
KotOR has nothing much to do with NWN... Very very different style of game, completely different universe, different point of view (surprising the kind of difference it makes in gameplay and in feeling of immersion.)

I suggest this frequently, so I will suggest it again. If we exchange screen names, idea transfer could be very rapid. Mine is in my common profile.

Yeah I remmer that you dont like the desert idea. but I did. I STILL am trying to find a way to make deep desert terrain or something, but its just not gonna happen. oh well.

HAhaha yeah didnt Heart of Troy or whatever do that? Stole your mod and made a CRAPPY scenario out of it! OmG that was soooo wrong ;p

England going interestingly, def not as easy as it used to be. Perhaps a new combat class of ships inserted with the caravels? It is simply impossible to protect my people after galleys and before MoW. Not cool when youre an island civ tryin to fight off the Bloody Germans (they attacked me before I could start my buildup; I was in the midst of a colonization drive for upcoming resource). Oh well, its their fault they Started WWI

Sides are: Germany, Austria, Greece VS. England, France, Rome, Russia

If THAT isnt scary, what is???

year is 1588, leaders have Cav, I am 2 turns from MoW.

I had a thought:

restrict settlers to Feudal ones for colonial civs, and later ones for other civs
Give each civ a set number of settlers to fill in a prescribed amount of space, which would vary for each with larger numbers for... say China, and smaller for the Netherlands, but make sure that it is enough to fill their "national space"

This would make it so that the game developed into pretty much the real world situation

Barbarians would cause some significant problems if they got in amongst the AI though...

What do you think? Also too radical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom