1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Rhye, Feb 5, 2004.

?

Rate this mod!

1. I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

203 vote(s)
    66.6%
  2. A good mod, but I won't play with it

54 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. I don't like the map

13 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. I don't like the terrain

9 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. I don't like the additions

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. I don't like the rules changes

21 vote(s)
    6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

let me point out that Cog is already chosen as the 2nd Dutch UU, and the Longship is Viking's.

I don't want to add all these into the mod, but I need this information anyway, because of the flavour units project.

Now I'm hurrying to the football game, I'll better explain later what I want to do!

2. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

Rhye, frankly I wouldn't use the Civ-Pack if you made it cause I'd rather play the Xpack....I'm not saying that the Byzantines are unimportant - ont he contrary, they're very important - but they're already represented by three different civs (Greece, Rome, Ottomans) and their placement is very problematic and in fact entirely voids any chance of Greece making something resembling Alexander's empire and any chance of Rome rising to its historical glory (though the Byzantines can make either of those empires). Same with the Ottomans. The Byzantines are a logistical problem when they are in.
    I beg of you, please consider replacing the Byzantines with the Poles (or with anyone else who is nto yet represented) at least in the Xpack if not in the standard game as well.

3. Three_Crowns

Three_Crowns Information Retrieval

Very roughly speaking:
    Longship - Vikings - Vikings - from 735 AD(*) to 1086 AD(**)

(*) First used in a major raid in 793 AD
    (**) Last used in a major raid in 1066 AD

4. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

Roger Wilco, if you other guys have time look in the web pages I provided, most data needed is already there.

Guys, poles would be cool, but it looks like an ex-nay as is. However, I bet the case would be stronger if you built a Polish civ PERFECTLY, with leaderhead, cities, traits, history, GLs, UU, etc, and just asked Rhye to integrate it as is.

I have four tests and some homework to study for/do today, so no research for me until tomorrow, unless I get really lucky.

Played as Portugese last night, weak in Iberia conducting colonizations of Africa as per history (haha I play this game as close to history as I can, just because I can, and the ability to do that is soooo cool). Should be able to move in on Brazil soon, hoping I can get enough naval bases to make a push on the Indies and India logical.

5. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I did not give for sure that everyone will use the Xpack and nobody the basic mod, when the Xpack is out.
    In that case, there's another possibility. It wouldn't make much sense a civ-pack based on the standard mod, if nobody uses it: a civ-pack based on the expansion would be better.
    On the other hand, it would be a smaller pack (max 2 civs), because I can't find 2 UU for some civs (Sumeria for example). So it would become Poland and not much more.
    So, my conclusion is that I will put Poland somewhere, depending if I see that when the Xpack is complete, everybody uses it and nobody the basic mod or not.
    Anyway it's a problem postponed to after the Xpack.
    Even if I agreed that Poland is more important than Byzantium, it would require some time to find the optiumum balancement (because I want to touch the civ strength as little as possible in the add-on), and that would mean beginning on working on the pack later.

6. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

Personally I would rather wait a bit extra for the xpack to be completed if it meant we have a better selection of civs. Of course, since I will be testing the pack, my opinion is slightly biased, but I would have still have rathered wait even had you not asked me to test.

EDIT: Rhye, authorize me on ICQ (you asked me "who are you?" and I answered.)

7. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

oh, I didn't know you were that one :) You need to ask for authorization again.

I still prefer Byzantines and I want them in the official version; I understand that you and some others prefer Poland and I said I'll satisfy you, adding them after the Xpack.
    I'll do it. Sooner or later, I promised to do it. IMO the pack is more important now and comes first.

8. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

:lol: LOL! Look what I've found!!!!

9. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

10. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

I'm downloading Rise and Rule of Kal-El :)

11. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I looked a beta build some time ago and wasn't impressed: I expected much more.
    But maybe it was a superficial look.

However I'm sure that this mod with the Xpack will not be inferior :)

12. Khift

Khift Prince

I just spent some time looking at some maps, estimating where the Polish capitol would be and approximately how far they would spread and where they would get their resources.

Krakow seems to be the best choice for their capitol. With that in mind, I mentally placed their capitol at the square X:96 Y:38, by two rivers on a plain with a Horse.

I estimate that they would get a total of five cities. One near X:98 Y:32, another near X:102 Y:36, a third near X:100 Y:44, a fourth near X:106 Y:46 with the fifth being their capitol at X:96 Y:38.

Austria would not manage to expand northeast like they usually do, just southeast. Realistic, I would say.

Germany would end up with most of it's bulk along the North Sea. I would personally move their capitol from X:89 Y:33 to X:89 Y:35 in order to allow a city near X:91 Y:29.

Russia would still have a good deal of cities. Even if they don't expand as much southwest, they still have plenty of space to expand elsewhere.

Greece and the Ottomans would get what you would expect them to get. They'd just eat a little further towards mainland Europe, getting about one or two more cities a piece.

The only country that would be weakened by the addition of Poland is Germany. Greece and the Ottomans would definitely benefit, Austria and Russia wouldn't be affected, but Germany could possibly end up with one less city. A move of the Polish capitol from Krakow, the traditional seat of Polish govt to the modern seat of Warsaw (Around X:98 Y:32) could solve that by giving Germany a chance to squeeze a city between Austria and Poland, although it would be a little less historical.

Geographically, this solves more problems than it creates.

13. Aeon221

The Masovia district? That wasnt till the 1600s though, so no go. Haha that was in a Calvin and Hobbes, KRAKOW KRAKOW! Hahah

I have some spare time before a study date, so I will copy that list and start working on it ;p

14. Aeon221

Galley - Unireme, Bireme, Trireme, . . .
    Droman
    Cog
    Caravel
    Carrack
    Galleon (apparently the Man of War is an outgrowth of the Galleon, not the frigate)
    Longship
    Junk
    Galleass

are all on this site with great detail

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/1820/WSP/ships.html#galley

I WOULD copy all the data from it, but you should really just look at it all. It is HIGHLY worth your time, and may ENTIRELY change your perspective on ships implemetation.

15. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Curragh ?
    Canoe - native americans only?
    Sampan the Chinese - East and SE Asia - ? until nowadays
    (one oar) Galley - the greeks? - Mediterranean? - ? to 1500
    Unireme Greek and Phoenicians - ? to 700BC
    Bireme - the Phoenicians - ? - 700BC to ?
    Trireme - ? - Mediterranean? - 500 to ?
    Quadriremes and Quinqueremes - Mediterranean - 300BC to the end of the Ancient age
    (one oar) Galley Mediterranean only? - dark ages to 1500
    Junk - China - ? to 1200AD
    Kublai ?
    Tongkang Singapore only? - ?
    Dhow - ? - Arabia, India and East Africa - ? until 1500
    Longship - Vikings? - Vikings - 800 to 1200
    Dromon - Greeks or Byzantines? - Byzantines? - 200BC to more than 600AD
    Cog - the Dutch - northern Europe - 1000AD to 1300
    Hulk/Holk - the Dutch - northern Europe - 1300 and 1400
    Galleass - ? - southern Europe only? - ?
    Caravel - the Portuguese - Mediterranean only? - 1400 and 1500 (it's a smaller carrack)
    Carrack - the Genovese - Spanish and Port. only? - 1400 and 1500
    Turtle Ship - Koreans - Koreans - ?
    Corvette ? - Europeans only? - ? - (it's a smaller frigate)
    Frigate ? - Europeans only? - ? - (it's a smaller ship of the line)
    Galleon ? - Europeans only? - ? - late 1400 to early 1800
    Baode Luan/Treasure Ship (what's the real name?)? - China - 1500?
    Man-o-War ? - Europeans only? - ? (a faster galleon)
    Ship of the Line - ? -
    Ironclad ? - Europe and far east? - mid 1800 to ?

16. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I need to know something more about Middle Eastern and Far Eastern Medieval&Renaissance naval warfare

17. Aeon221

Bah you just won't read it will you ;p

Everything about the renaissance is there. as is early stuff. I will find out about the middle eastern ships, but I cannot transcribe it all onto this forum as it will eat up all the space!

18. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Hello, Rhye!
    I have just played 2.62 with the Incas, and hey, I just love this mod now even better! :) Before I played with around 2.4 and that slowed down to 1-2 mins in the years 1400 or so. Now It is indeed faster and I am in year 2000 and with waiting time around 3 mins in modern times, which I believe is quite fair :) /I have Athlon 1600, 256 RAM, built in Sis VGA graphic card/

Some observations, maybe some corrections needed:

A wine resource appears east of the Andes - well, there seems to be no Civilopedia for it (no texts, pics - just empty blocs), and this wine seems to be not the same as the wine of, say, Rome, Rome could sell me the wine even I have this one... hm?
    Below this wine, also east of the Andes mountains there is a tile which supposed to be a marsh tile and behaves like one but by graphics it looks like a grassland! Could you check that?
    On the very north of the American continent I once got into a barbarian camp and discovered Carib people where Eskimos should dwell! :))

Soma

19. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

1. That's the 2nd wine resource, which appears later.
    When i found that the duplicate resources caused for example dye-to-dye trade, I removed the duplicates (except the horses).
    As wine was in America, nobody seemed to notice it, and I forgot to remove it. Now it's time to do it! Thanks.
    2. There's a hidden marsh in the lower left. It is inherited from the standard graphics. I'll correct the tile of my graphics, thanks again.
    3. There are no barbarian camps there in North America, except those created automatically after the uprisings. And that camps are empty after 2.62. What version are you using?

20. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

That means Incas will not have their own wine? Poor fellas...

As for the "eskimo" camps:
    I think I use 2.62 - but I will check the files back at home in the evening...
    The barbarian camps I found in the very north of America and well (tundra all around) were all empty but numerous, about three or four of them I stepped into and got the 25 gold for each. Never got angry barbs. It was into 17th century or later. Isn't that supposed to be 2.62? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.