1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Rhye, Feb 5, 2004.

?

Rate this mod!

1. I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

203 vote(s)
    66.6%
  2. A good mod, but I won't play with it

54 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. I don't like the map

13 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. I don't like the terrain

9 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. I don't like the additions

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. I don't like the rules changes

21 vote(s)
    6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingOfCiv

KingOfCiv Chieftain

Rhye,

Are you going to update v2.62? Just asking because of you saying that you are fixing marsh tile setting and wine in North America? I also want to work with a completed mod file for a version of your mod. I was thinking of using your mod to create a WW3 game.

KOC

2. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

I started a game as Persia on Emperor (chose Random and hoped for a European/Asian civ) and it's going quite well. I popped a settler at around 2700BC and since then I've been in the lead, score-wise, even though I've been sruggling with science since forever... I managed to trade my way into the middle ages right before conquering India (after a pretty smooth conquest of Babylon) and soon I'm going to probably take out the Hebrews for access to the Mediterranean sea (even though I've already made contact with most of the Europeans through exploration and ROPs with Russia and Austria.)
    I was surprised to find that I'm doing fine even with only two cities above size 4. Elephants and Camels helped alot. I'm hoping to pretty much conquer my way to spaceship victory by simply being the only one big enough to build it. This should be interesting.

3. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

4. KingOfCiv

KingOfCiv Chieftain

Rhye, thanks but I'll wait for the completed mod or mods. If I undertake the WW3 it will take awhile and I want to start work with a completed mod.

Thanks

KOC

5. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

I just had an idea...
    Add a tech called Tourism sometime in the late industrial age, and have it make extra commerce appear in famous major sites of tourism... This could add a little extra realism to modern-day economy where sometimes a (small) country's economy can depend almost entirely on tourism (like Israel, for instance.)
    Just a thought. :p

6. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

Haha, how about making a government called Tourism, where production is hyper limited, but cashflow is intense, and you can build supercheap buildings which add the benefits of stock markets on in addition to the ones you have. Call them Resorts for seaside cities, and Spas for inland ones. Make worker speed really low, and give them no military support (and troop cost of 3), so that they depend almost entirely on stronger neighbors hahahaha

7. Finlandiaciv

Finlandiaciv Supreme General in WWIII

I wonder again, Is there any version for Vanilla 1.29?

8. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

->Finlandiaciv:

there are many people asking for the Xpack, four people asking for Poland, and one (you) asking for the Vanilla version.
    I promised to do it, but I must give the priority to the other works.

In the meantime, I need 2 answers from you:
    1) Would you prefer for Vanilla a basic version or do you want it to include some of the things that there'll be in the Xpack?
    2) Would you be available to make some test when the Vanilla version is ready? The work of adding the things is quick (especially if you don't want it any addition of the Xpack), but the testing and balancing work is quite long. In fact it means watching how a game develops, make the corrections, start a new game, and on and on. You could speed up this process.

9. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

to everybody: I'll start working now, beginning from the UUs and the new unit paths. Expect a biq (with no animation and no civilopedia) soon.

10. Finlandiaciv

er.... I didn't really get that... 1) I think the Xpack... 2) I can test it, but I'm not good at mod-making... =/ but it would be fun if I can help with SOMETHING :)

11. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

The 1) depends on what are the reasons for you'd like in the Vanilla version:
    -for the loading times, the world map and the new graphics
    -or for the units that will be added in the pack (keep in mind that there will be no new Civs in the Vanilla version, as the maximum n. of civs in that case is 16 :( )

12. Finlandiaciv

er... I like Vanilla cause I don't got some expansion :) now, it's time for bed! goodnight!

13. NDCSPURS

NDCSPURS Chieftain

I think someone who knows what there doing (not me) should make a new mod:
    Rhye's and Rule

14. laxpimpj

laxpimpj Chieftain

jigga wha?

15. Metatr0n

Metatr0n Chieftain

I believe there was a vesel called a Gallivat (pronounced galley-wot) used from about 1700 that might be applicable as an Indian pirate vesel UU.

Oh and on early discussions about colonial wonders - one could be the British East India Company.

16. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Thank you very much Metatron, I'll try to find some photos (have you got any)?

After solving the problem of India, I'll send the v0.1 of the add-on to the testers.

Lol that would be a great mod! :lol:

17. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I wonder, what is it about world maps that makes the game slow down so much?

18. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

The first factor is the size: an increase of one side leads to a great increase of area.

100x100 -> 5000 tiles
    140x140-> 9800 tiles
    180x180-> 16200 tiles (can be beared with a fast computer)
    256x256 -> 32768 tiles (unplayable)
    312x312 -> 48672 tiles (you must be crazy :crazyeye: )

but this isn't the only factor.

19. KingOfCiv

KingOfCiv Chieftain

Rhye, why is your location saying USSR when you are from Italy?

KOC

20. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Because Livorno is known as the 'italian Stalingrad'. People from Livorno feel more russian than italian :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.