Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
s3d said:
Hmm, name civ by culture areas ? (South Europian culture (Rome), North European culture (Sacndinavia) South Mediterranean culture (Crathage), North African culture (Ethiopean), South African (Zulu) , Mesopatamian culture (Babilon), North American culture, Mesoamerican, South American, Central Asian (mongol), East Asian etc. And cities by mix of names.

Yes, it is a logical solution - I just don't know how it would feel to have these culture areas names, historic feeling, you know :)
Maybe the names of the civs will remain the same, and city names would be as if the given civ would name it, like Lutitia for Paris for Rome (if I am correct).

i would prefer "proper" civ names and appropriate city names to go with them, as in your rome/lutitia example, instead of general civ names with a blend of modern city names, such as mediterranean/paris.

however, it's not a strong preference :)

EW

i must be missing soem file because i crash out whenever i start this mod .. the error message mentions soemthing about statue of liberty

New day, new develeopments:

Great news about Rome:

AI finally DOES put 2nd city in Greece! :king:
I had to put starting location to today's Venice (what would be the appr. name for it?), and closed the western Alps with barbs, PLUS I put the ONLY iron in Greece - that made it.
Rome now develops just fine, after getting into Germania the AI puts another city in southern Italia and then manages to expand to Gallia and Iberia! :)

The Danube river is a kind of limes btw. Rome and Scandinavia.

Carthage works fine, extending to the Nile along the Med. Sea coast (Alexandria will be the city near the Nile delta).
Just when Rome breaks into Iberia, the puns also send their settler there in the bireme, so Carthage also has claims for that land in Europa! :) Yesterday I again saw anciant age war btw. Rome and Carthage - Rome sent troops to cut off Carthage's elephant resource! :goodjob:

I think all civs do a nice settling of the home area! I strengthened Zulu and Ethiopia a bit, weakened Babylon, but I think I will let Babylon reach into Asia a bit more - so they would meet China more likely...

STRATEGIC RESOURCES
I did a big cleaning on the map...
With the early resources, every civ will have iron, horses.
Real fight will begin only around saltpeter, I guess 1 or 2 civs will miss it, but I placed the saltpeters in a way so that it is not sure who will get it in some cases... :D and they can trade, of course...
Rubber: must be some colonization for this, though the Inca, China and the Zulu probably will have them nearly all - trading, again?
Oil - well, NO oil for Europe, not a single one... let them get it :)
Uranium and aluminium: there will be exactly 11 of them, some civs will have more than 1 :)

TO DO LIST :)

to give equal economic chances to civs (to their first 5 cities). I mentioned this earlier.

To adjust luxury resources.

Give names to cities.
I will stay with the "proper" names, so Rome, Scandinavia etc
Since I have a good guess for their first 5 cities (or 6-7), it can be done but I need research...

Rename barbarians acording to thier location

I plan to do 1 and 2 today - will put here the BIQ tomorrow!

AND THEN for next week:
the big unit adjustion:
- moves
- UUs
- costs
Also, maybe other costs will also be tweaked...
and time scale, too...

Now I will look up some maps for the city names... :)

city names:

I ponder... I should rename Rome to be Adria on the new exact starting location but I simply do not like it - so it remains Rome :)

But I found an ideology to support this:
Capital will be the MOST important city of the civ, a couple of "hundred miles" should not disturb.
On a small map like this, a city means a region in itsel, so I guess I can give the city the name that was the name of the biggest/most important city in the real region.
Maybe the factor that the city is on shore or inland should be considered.

for Rome, so far:

Rome (and not Adria/Ravenna/Venetia...)
Philippoi (north Greece)
Colonia (Germania)
Vibo (south Italia)
Burdigala (south-west of Gallia)
Toletum (central Hispania)
and more...

My Germany beta game is getting exciting again, for the first time in a couple centuries.
I'm preparing for war with the superpower colonist Spain, England is working on a space ship, and Deutschlandszentrum is going to give me a one-city cultural victory in 15 turns (or much less, if I start sacrificing slaves there.)
There's alot of tedium, but I'm trying to micromanage my empire so I can be ready for war with the most powerful nation on my side of the pond (other than me, of course). I can't even predict who England and America will side with, and either could easily tip the scale in my favor or in Spain's. Heck, if Spain properly dogpiles me, even England and America may not be enough to save me... I'm spread a tad too thin, just trying to make sure all of my provinces have no less than three TOW's and Civil Defense. I doubt I'll even have time to build any more tanks and armies before I invade (I've set myself a deadline that's just a few turns ahead, I want to have a good fight before the game comes to a conclusion.)

yes I had - and I had replied, did you read?

I said that you miss every single unit animation.

...and maybe you've got a different version like Civ3 Gold or Complete.

In this case, try to search in which folders you've got Settler, Archer, Artillery and all the stuff you're missing. Try to copy them all those folders into civilization III\art\units.

Rhye said:
In this case, try to search in which folders you've got Settler, Archer, Artillery and all the stuff you're missing. Try to copy them all those folders into civilization III\art\units.

Or add that folder to the path in the biq?

Ciao Rhye, the last few pages have made me think of learning Italian! This thread has probably broken another record for the most Italian posts :lol:

Hi!

As I promised, I now put up the BIQ of this version, see attachment! :)
I left it in DEBUG mode, you can set it and also "map revealed" in the editor's scenario setting.

Yesterday I managed to give kind of equal economic potential to the civs. Well, maybe China and the Iroquois get a bit more than others - but they need it for compensation. This part of the project is far from being finished, needs more tuning in the future.

I also arranged luxuries. Most of the nations will have two, some three - and there will be possibilities for trade (or war).

Changes in the luxury resources caused some disturbment in Europe, settling process is now altered:

Rome goes to Greece, it is OK, but after that the AI seems to get south-Italia, no more Germania. Instead, he heads for Pannonia and south-Gallia.
Well, I erased a northern Gall barb but had no time to see the effect...

Scandinavia, well, I want the AI to get lands next to the Carpathian mountains, so it would be neighbour to Pannonia. I put resource there but again, it was 2 AM and I went to sleep, have to see the result yet...

Carthage: Now it is even better, since it seems the AI puts a city in south-Hispania. In my last test, pun elephants invaded Rome through the Pireneus! :goodjob:

It may be that Carthage and Ethiopes are now too strong, I don't know, need more and longer tests.

I gave Babylon the chance to claim eastern shore of Arabia. But I did not open the chance to get into India...

I changed movement values of ships:
generally they now have a bit less than 2/3 of their original Rhye's value.

City names:
I did some changes to Rome and Carthage - but it is not fully proper, and it may be that this whole naming is a futile effort :(
(I mean, the AI is not ALWAYS the same, so why try to be so precise?
Well, maybe with the first 2-3 cities can be guessed correctly...

Anyway, here is the file...

Attachments

• Rhye standard map for 11.zip
    53.3 KB · Views: 110
Procrastinator said:
Or add that folder to the path in the biq?

Yes, it should work. It's better if we know first where are those files.

Procrastinator said:
Ciao Rhye, the last few pages have made me think of learning Italian! This thread has probably broken another record for the most Italian posts :lol:

Another record is broken? Good! :beer:
Allora imparerai l'italiano?
When your italian training is complete, I'll complete your instruction teaching how to prepare and cook a pizza, and how to play football!
Feel free to ask whatever you need translated :)

Rhye said:
Soma, have you considered the addition of the Celts? They could have a good role in your map (instead of the Mayas)

Hm, I like the Celts, an interesting and mythical civ, but I guess there is simply no place in Europe for mosre civs.

As now, civs get 6-7 cities in a natural way. All of them, maybe the Chinese and Iroqouis have more area. Rome DOES need the whole Western Europe to get the strength.

Where could I put the Celts? Into Britain? They would have 2-3 cities on the isles, then they shouzld manage to get into the continent - but by that time they could get only 1-2 cities, I guess. Would that be of worth?
What is on the pro side:To fill the british Isles and to have a 3rd European civ.

Could it be so that the European civs to be made smaller but with stronger cities?

Hm!... :)

Rhye, was that you "viewing" the BIQ? :)

Do you have some time (and intention) to have a look at it?
I would really appreciate some feedback...

As of the Mayans:

I NEED them, they play a pivotal role in America: they can meet the other two civs and speed up advancement. And they look nice, I like them! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom