Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
America

The key to being a successful American player is manifest destiny. Controlling the American continent is the key to winning an emperor level game as the Americans. Starting off on the banks of the Potomac River, the American Civilization begins behind the 8-ball. Due to limited contact and terrain designed to limit your growth early on, it is key to gain each of the goodie huts prior to the AI doing so. To the north lay the Iroquois, a civ who will not expand quickly, but due to its UU will be tough to conquer early. Peaceful early expansion is the key.

Once you have built your early warriors for defense, for the native barbarians roam freely to the west, it is time to decide where to expand first. The best choice is probably to the north to help reign in the Iroquois. A good location would be the hills directly north of the mountain on the shores of Lake Erie, or just to the NW. DO not be afraid to pack your cities closely, as there is lots of future production to be had.

With your science growing slowly, send your warriors or archers west to explore the terrain and scope out your next city locations. To the south, the Florida panhandle on the river is a good location for the next city, and there is excellent terrain on the western frontier. Once you have learned the secret to build swordsmen, and have developed a nice size army, it is time to conquer your neighbor to the north. Once Salamanca and any other cities the Iroquois have built are a nice shade of blue, it is time to sit back, continue to build cities and wait for the Europeans to arrive.

It is true that your scientific research will lag behind, but as you gain in technology, and explore to the west and south, you will contact other American civilizations that should be behind you in tech.

Once European ships are seen on your shores, the real fun begins. There are resources that the euros will want, including tobacco which is only found in the new world, rare spices and dyes from Mexico, and Iron. These resources can be traded to the European powers in exchange for the technology that you lag behind.

While wonders of the world have never been a huge need or desire until now, there are two that are specially made for your civilization. With the discovery of Military tradition, Mustangs (American horses) become available, which will help you to build a mobile army. Also this resource allows you to build the Statue of Liberty, a Great wonder of the industrial age which will help you to keep America at the top of the world power list by giving you any technology already owned by any other two civilizations!

With the technology gap bridged, and your industry growing, it is time to build the modern American war machine. Once Europe and Asia see your transports on its shores it will be too late! The invasion by the American Armies will have begun!

The American unique units are both in the modern period, and while they come late, are excellent in helping to build the modern American war machine.

America is a wonderful civ for the builder, the trader and the warmonger alike. Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war! I give the Americans a 5/5 on the power scale.

I felt a little forced to make assumptions here. Else I wouldn't make any of these "claims" either

Oh totally true! I did not mean to cast aspersions on your claim, merely on my thoughts!

Stupid forums always making me look like a jerk ;p

Sorry!

@Barak: did you attempt to restrict early Iroquois growth, or did you conquer what they made?

I am asking because I typically do my best to position warriors to simply prevent them from being able to move south. I am worried that this may have a detrimental effect on my tech growth when playing as America, so I figured I would ask.

(PS: have you tried it at demi-god? The AI ran Europe perfectly when I did! I was so proud ;p)

I do try to limit the Iroquois growth. In fact I have played America twice, once with 1.21 and once with a previous version that crashed around 1000AD. In both tries, when I took Salamanca I captured 2 settlers who were afraid to leave due to my warriors and archers and the barbarian hordes.

Since I cannot post past 5998 :( , I have to mention here that I viewed the 5/5 on a strength scale. NOT a difficulty scale. I would rate America not for the noobie player, as it is a challenge once Europe is met. In terms of strength though, they are a industrial machine, which can overrun Europe in the modern age.

Will there be a new Thread?

Thanks Barak, the guide is great.

But...5/5 for America? No, I don't agree. American civs are known as the most difficult: for sure America is the strongest of their continent, but 5/5?
IMO 3.5 or 4 fit better America, but I could be wrong. What do you think?

Aeon221 said:
Stupid forums always making me look like a jerk
No, not at all! I have my share of experience with misinterpretation of communication over the internet. The ";p" behind your sentence made it perfectly clear to me there were no "hard feelings" involved, don't worry ;)
The "wink" behind my reply was supposed to acknowledge that I didn't feel offended in any way, but apparently that didn't get across very well :)

Sorry for that, and for the off topic post :p

It was october 15 I think (I am keeping notes of my boarding school life for a book or something... just my luck that I broke my hand and dont have an exact date ;p)

I have no clue when that would be in postland haha.

@Perikles: clearly, we are both insane haha

@Barak: iiinteresting

@Rhye: the AI for the Americans never blocks in the Iroquois. THis means that they fail to expand at the same rate the humans do as America, meaning that they are always at a disadvantage.

Could you put a few barbs on the important chokepoints to give the AI the same advantage as the humans? It might give us a stronger than normal American AI civ in the late game, which would be a lot of fun to conquer or to bow down to haha

@ALL: LAST 15 POSTS!

Get em while they're hot!

Rhye, America is a killer even in the hands of the AI.
You may recall the visual tour of the world from my Germany beta game... America owns all of N. America, and a bit back they were powerful enough to drive the super-colonialist Spain out of S. America within less than five turns of fighting (iirc).
Seems to my, by Barak's guide, that 5/5 is perfectly fair, assuming we're talking about the strength of the civ for a human player...

I understand that it refers to the player, but consider that the aim is the newbie (to the mod) player. Just two pages ago we were sayind david how america was a hard civ to start with, and how england was instead very easy. America was made to become powerful, but it hides a few inital problems, and if you don't know the tricks you'll be left behind, unlike top euro civs. So it can't be 5/5.

BTW do you like the new fonts I used in the strat page of the site? Thanks to Blas, that site was very helpful :)

Rhye said:
I understand that it refers to the player, but consider that the aim is the newbie (to the mod) player. Just two pages ago we were sayind david how america was a hard civ to start with, and how england was instead very easy. America was made to become powerful, but it hides a few inital problems, and if you don't know the tricks you'll be left behind, unlike top euro civs. So it can't be 5/5.

BTW do you like the new fonts I used in the strat page of the site? Thanks to Blas, that site was very helpful :)
1. Well, if the strength scale is in fact a learning curve scale, it should be called that. Perhaps it would make sense to make a slightly more complex rating system, that states how powerful the nation is when played by: AI, new player, and advanced player. Or you could have a seperate strength rating for every era, and a "learning curve" score. Otherwise, choose the one you wish to use and make sure it's clear which one the rating refers to.
2. I like the use of the fonts, but you may want to make a dark-orange or reddish outline around the egyptian one ("Stroke" in photoshop) because it's a bit hard to read on the background that the site uses.

Blasphemous said:
1. Well, if the strength scale is in fact a learning curve scale, it should be called that. Perhaps it would make sense to make a slightly more complex rating system, that states how powerful the nation is when played by: AI, new player, and advanced player. Or you could have a seperate strength rating for every era, and a "learning curve" score. Otherwise, choose the one you wish to use and make sure it's clear which one the rating refers to.
2. I like the use of the fonts, but you may want to make a dark-orange or reddish outline around the egyptian one ("Stroke" in photoshop) because it's a bit hard to read on the background that the site uses.

If I remember correctly, there was a discussion a while a go, about changing the strength scale to a difficulty scale. I think it even was decided on, but never carried through.

...Soon this thread - my morning companion - will be lost to the oblivion that is "Completed Modpacks, page 2"...
It looks like most threads will now be closed around 1000 posts, so atleast no one will be able to contest for the longest thread anymore.

No one will even come close... but we gotta be careful. Maybe we should stop at 5998 and let Rhye have the next to last... just in case we screw up ;p

Anyway, I think America is a 4 at best on the scale, simply because of the difficulty of catching up to the Euros. Except for that (and the randomness of the difficulty of the opening) it has the potential to be really strong.

We really must decide whether the strength is based on potential or difficulty... America isn't the only nation with enormous potential that is hard to capitalize on.
About the next-to-last post, I agree. Whoever makes post 5998, please include a huge, red, bold "DO NOT POST AFTER ME UNLESS YOU ARE RHYE!" to make sure nobody screws up the end of this glorious thread.

WARNING: THE END IS NIGH. DO NOT POST AFTER #5998

in writing the arab strat guide, i gave them a 4 out of 5 because i was under the impression we were using difficulty level for the ratings. in terms of strength, i'd give them 5 out 5 in the hands of a good player. but that said, just about any civ will be strong in the hands of a good player.

comparing arabia and egypt, i would say arabia is about 10 times easier. the early settling sites are obvious and uncontested by AIs or barbarians, swiping goody huts is pretty easy, and the saracen bowman makes them untouchable at least until colonial infantry come along.

with the help of the strat guide, i'll give egypt another try though :D

EW

edit: wooohoo! 200th post, in the thread where it all started. what a way to go.

It is tradition to end with a speech Rhye! Post something SPECTACULAR!

Sorry, no more posting!

PS: I had to do it :(

Past here, there be dragons...

In the end, I think we all wish we had said this more:

Thank you Rhye

something spectacular?

take this:

Attachments

• napoend.jpg
    napoend.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,557
Status