RifE 1.20 Bug Thread

Thanks for the response.

Back to one of my questions: if your LIVING unit owned by the d'Tesh gets disease/plague, what unit can you use to cure? Or, is that unit diseased/plagued for the rest of the game unless you happen to find Pool of Tears or build Aqua Sucellus?

Are D'Tesh able to get the great people "healers?" Because they are able to cure disease.

Thanks for the response.

Back to one of my questions: if your LIVING unit owned by the d'Tesh gets disease/plague, what unit can you use to cure? Or, is that unit diseased/plagued for the rest of the game unless you happen to find Pool of Tears or build Aqua Sucellus?

Pool of Tears, Aque Sucellus, or a Healer GP, though they're hard (maybe impossible? Need to check what buildings are blocked for them) for the D'tesh to get.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but in the mouse over for the Leaders section in the Pedia, each Leader has Hero: Mother and World Spell: Awaken Mother, instead of their appropriate Heros and Spells.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but in the mouse over for the Leaders section in the Pedia, each Leader has Hero: Mother and World Spell: Awaken Mother, instead of their appropriate Heros and Spells.

It's known. It exists in FF as well, it's a bug in Xienwolf's code. I haven't really looked into fixing it yet, but will put that on my list. ;)

I got another crash ten turns later in the above game. Sure enough, the Khazad had somehow gotten their hands on another healing salve. A search which I really should have done before revealed that this is a known bug with equipment-bearing treasure chests (healing salves in my case) and dispel magic (Priest of Omorr) reported by GIR some months ago. If my experience is any indication, this may be causing more mid/late game crashes than you might expect and should be looked into.

after reading the above post, i went back to my save game posted back a few, searched through the map in worldbuilder..

i found a treasure chest in the woods with Orthos' axe. i deleted it, but i still got the crash on the next turn. i looked around a bit more and decided to start deleting anything unusual. however, i noticed then whenever i deleted a unit, a treasure chest would spawn in its place. no matter what the unit: warrior, worker, etc... always spawned a treasure chest.

there are also a few critters i've not noticed before: elk, elephant, and mini leviathans... not sure their name, there were 3 little ones in a stack.

i'm just going to try to delete a ton more things until i find what works. I'll look for that salve promotion next....

edit: oh, and i noticed a few things in the panel for units. for example, there are two entrees for treaure chest at the top. there are similar duplicate entrees as well, like walls. not sure if there's anything to that.

EDIT #2: OK, i went through it a bit more thoroughly. There were tons of healing salve promotions on the AI units. i removed all those promotions. Looking at the capitols of my two enemies: kuriotates and malikim, they both had apothecaries. (i think i gave them those early in the game because they would die too fast otherwise, i had also given them walls.) And so, all apothecaries deleted. all healing salve promotions deleted... still get CTD on next turn... the search continues...

Pool of Tears, Aque Sucellus, or a Healer GP, though they're hard (maybe impossible? Need to check what buildings are blocked for them) for the D'tesh to get.

I don't think the D'Tesh would be likely to have Life mana, so no Aqua Sucellus. Also, I don't think they can get a Great Healer because of the necessary buildings to get pts. for one.

So, you are really down to the Pool of Tears which

a. May not even appear on your map (unless you choose the option to have all unique features)

b. May not be anywhere near you on a larger map

c. Just not make sense to run back to that feature if your unit gets diseased. Think about having a war with an AV civ who spams loads of Diseased Corpses.

Yes, you will not have many living units, but if you do, it sounds like they are screwed if they get diseased/plagued/withered, etc.

Maybe giving all D'Tesh the Undead promotion...although I'm not sure how that would work with HN D'Tesh units like captured Spiders.

after reading the above post, i went back to my save game posted back a few, searched through the map in worldbuilder..

i found a treasure chest in the woods with Orthos' axe. i deleted it, but i still got the crash on the next turn. i looked around a bit more and decided to start deleting anything unusual. however, i noticed then whenever i deleted a unit, a treasure chest would spawn in its place. no matter what the unit: warrior, worker, etc... always spawned a treasure chest.

there are also a few critters i've not noticed before: elk, elephant, and mini leviathans... not sure their name, there were 3 little ones in a stack.

i'm just going to try to delete a ton more things until i find what works. I'll look for that salve promotion next....

edit: oh, and i noticed a few things in the panel for units. for example, there are two entrees for treaure chest at the top. there are similar duplicate entrees as well, like walls. not sure if there's anything to that.

EDIT #2: OK, i went through it a bit more thoroughly. There were tons of healing salve promotions on the AI units. i removed all those promotions. Looking at the capitols of my two enemies: kuriotates and malikim, they both had apothecaries. (i think i gave them those early in the game because they would die too fast otherwise, i had also given them walls.) And so, all apothecaries deleted. all healing salve promotions deleted... still get CTD on next turn... the search continues...

Yeah, what's up with all those healing salves some AI civs come up with? I'm at war with the bad lizard guys and just about every one I kill drops a treasure chest/healing salve.

One of the best things about the modmod IMO is the variety you get with each game. I really enjoy the different, unpredictable animal sets you get each game. Lots of lizards one game, many spiders the next, another game with Wargs and Hamsters. I am hoping the new version keeps this.

As to the CTDs I have given up opening the World Builder and trying to figure out the cause. If you play on a larger map it is just too tedious of an exercise despite having a good game going. I simply take the save and put it in a folder. I start a new game and play it. Then, sometime later like in a few days, I come back to the one that kept having crashes and sometimes it will actually play on...not always though.

yeah... i used to do that too, just shelve CTD saves... but it happens so often that i really really want to figure out the problem... i don't think i've yet played a legitimate game. i've just been testing, setting up sandbox situations with pleanty of bonuses and good terrain simply to get the units going and the cities built to see how it all works. once i can get one of those through to the end without too many CTDs, then i'll be satisfied and try some actual games (without using WorldBuilder).

i just went through the units again. i found the malikim had more than a few vicars with the Newt's Draught promotion. i deleted all those promotions too, just in case... no dice. persistent CTD. :(...

looks like i'll be able to shovel some snow without interruptions this weekend... unfortunately. ;)

I've been having recurring problems with python exceptions in this mod. My brother, playing the same mod, isn't seeing any exceptions, so I'm thinking I've somehow installed it wrong, or something similar.

In particular, games are usually okay until about the 50-100 turn range. Then I typically start seeing python exceptions during the AI's turn. By turn 300 or so, it can be upwards of 10 exceptions per turn.

It seems like a lot of the exceptions are based around functions being invoked incorrectly, with inappropriate argument lists, which again leads me to believe that I have somehow installed it incorrectly.

Here's an example of one of the exceptions:
File "CvSpellInteface", line 28, in cast
File "string", line 0, in ?
File "CvSpellInterface", line 9338, in spellJotBloom
ArgumentError: Python argument types in
CyPlot.setFeatureType(CyPlot, int, bool, bool)
did not match C++ signature:
CyPlot.setFeatureType(class CyPlot{lvalue}, int, int )

I'm running on the steam installation, so a bunch of folders and the like are whacky when compared with the regular installation. At first I was suffering immediately first turn crashes the moment I built my first city, but after a bit of looking around I found the new .dll and that seemed to fix it. Is there some other hot fix that needs to be applied to make this go? I've tried reinstalling the entire thing (Civ4 base game and up), but it didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

Any help out there?

I got another crash ten turns later in the above game. Sure enough, the Khazad had somehow gotten their hands on another healing salve. A search which I really should have done before revealed that this is a known bug with equipment-bearing treasure chests (healing salves in my case) and dispel magic (Priest of Omorr) reported by GIR some months ago. If my experience is any indication, this may be causing more mid/late game crashes than you might expect and should be looked into.

I'll definitely look into the chests and dispel; Not sure why they'd interact that way. Had forgotten about the bug.

As for how they're getting the Healing Salves... It's the Apothecary building, constructed by a Great Healer. Allows you to purchase several different potions.

I don't think the D'Tesh would be likely to have Life mana, so no Aqua Sucellus. Also, I don't think they can get a Great Healer because of the necessary buildings to get pts. for one.

So, you are really down to the Pool of Tears which

a. May not even appear on your map (unless you choose the option to have all unique features)

b. May not be anywhere near you on a larger map

c. Just not make sense to run back to that feature if your unit gets diseased. Think about having a war with an AV civ who spams loads of Diseased Corpses.

Yes, you will not have many living units, but if you do, it sounds like they are screwed if they get diseased/plagued/withered, etc.

Maybe giving all D'Tesh the Undead promotion...although I'm not sure how that would work with HN D'Tesh units like captured Spiders.

Honestly, given how few living units they get I have no issues with them being hurt by disease. If it was something where the bulk of their units could be affected, it would be an issue... But just captured animals? Not going to do anything about it. It's a legitimate weakness, IMO.

I've been having recurring problems with python exceptions in this mod. My brother, playing the same mod, isn't seeing any exceptions, so I'm thinking I've somehow installed it wrong, or something similar.

In particular, games are usually okay until about the 50-100 turn range. Then I typically start seeing python exceptions during the AI's turn. By turn 300 or so, it can be upwards of 10 exceptions per turn.

It seems like a lot of the exceptions are based around functions being invoked incorrectly, with inappropriate argument lists, which again leads me to believe that I have somehow installed it incorrectly.

Here's an example of one of the exceptions:
File "CvSpellInteface", line 28, in cast
File "string", line 0, in ?
File "CvSpellInterface", line 9338, in spellJotBloom
ArgumentError: Python argument types in
CyPlot.setFeatureType(CyPlot, int, bool, bool)
did not match C++ signature:
CyPlot.setFeatureType(class CyPlot{lvalue}, int, int )

I'm running on the steam installation, so a bunch of folders and the like are whacky when compared with the regular installation. At first I was suffering immediately first turn crashes the moment I built my first city, but after a bit of looking around I found the new .dll and that seemed to fix it. Is there some other hot fix that needs to be applied to make this go? I've tried reinstalling the entire thing (Civ4 base game and up), but it didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

Any help out there?

Unfortunately, that's an actual bug. It's an issue with the Jotnar version of the Bloom spell. It's fixed internally, but the python file has so many changes that I can't release it at this point.

Honestly, given how few living units they get I have no issues with them being hurt by disease. If it was something where the bulk of their units could be affected, it would be an issue... But just captured animals? Not going to do anything about it. It's a legitimate weakness, IMO.

I tried to supplement the poor D'Tesh early game defenders with captured Spiders and Lizards. This works unless they get diseased. It all goes back to adjusting and working with what you have available in the game. Living units + D'Tesh doesn't work out too well so time to find a new strategy with them. You did mention you were working on making them stronger in the early game, and, hopefully, we won't see groups of Minotaurs and Cyclops invading in the first 100 turns.

Getting Archery helps, but making it that far with those weak Warrior defenders can be a challenge. Maybe they need a city defend promotion or stronger city fortifications.

Does this apply to the Scions as well? Do they have a unit that can cure disease?

Alright, so I downloaded the RifE mod, and got the first-turn crashing so I followed the hotfix directions in the download thread. It worked, played as Kane of the Malakim for a few hundred turns then went to do something else. Came back and tried to play again as the Hippus and got the first-turn crash again. Tried the hotfix again, didn't work. Help please?

EDIT: Tried loading the saved game that worked, got the crash again.

I'll definitely look into the chests and dispel; Not sure why they'd interact that way. Had forgotten about the bug.

[...]

well, that's good to know. i thought nobody was listening to my bug report and so i stoped 'whining' about it.

another game breaking thing i found in my current game:
i had a very great marathon game on the highest dificulti level.
then i captured one gigant spider and the mess began.
with this spider i made over ten new spieders (which will grow into gigant spiders) and also 2 gigant spider swarms (str 12!!). now the game and fun is over.
animals and beasts that grow into bigger animals only are fun when you (and the AI) have units (techs) with similar power. in my case (it's really early in the game - best units are archers at the moment) a str 12 unit is uber and kills all the fun. could you plz include some check that you cant get an animal upgrade if you dont have a certain tech or something?
also i think the baby spider rate is too high for marathon games.

well, that's good to know. i thought nobody was listening to my bug report and so i stoped 'whining' about it.

another game breaking thing i found in my current game:
i had a very great marathon game on the highest dificulti level.
then i captured one gigant spider and the mess began.
with this spider i made over ten new spieders (which will grow into gigant spiders) and also 2 gigant spider swarms (str 12!!). now the game and fun is over.
animals and beasts that grow into bigger animals only are fun when you (and the AI) have units (techs) with similar power. in my case (it's really early in the game - best units are archers at the moment) a str 12 unit is uber and kills all the fun. could you plz include some check that you cant get an animal upgrade if you dont have a certain tech or something?
also i think the baby spider rate is too high for marathon games.

If I remember correctly, spiders (in the team version) no longer upgrade from combat, and have either reduced chances to spawn new units, or none.

Animals now upgrade via spell, based on their age.

another thing i noticed:

in a marathon game it is no problem to cover half of the map with your forts + fort commanders. you just need 1-2 great commander/generals. they can build a fort in only 3 turns (even in marathon games and unlike the workers also on forest without removing them). i dont really know what to do about this but maybe they should only be allowed to build a certain amount of forts and then lose the ability (like with the recrute spell).

another thing i noticed:

in a marathon game it is no problem to cover half of the map with your forts + fort commanders. you just need 1-2 great commander/generals. they can build a fort in only 3 turns (even in marathon games and unlike the workers also on forest without removing them). i dont really know what to do about this but maybe they should only be allowed to build a certain amount of forts and then lose the ability (like with the recrute spell).

There should definately be some drawback, aye. Maybe they should only be able to build a weaker Fort clone (and one that doesn't upgrade to anything), rather than the real thing?

Control over just the one tile and a minor defence bonus, perhaps?

Or maybe the commander should be 'rooted' in place; taking up the role of the fort commander - until you move it, at which time the fort would also go? It would fit the idea of it being just a field fortification, rather than something more lasting.

There should definately be some drawback, aye. Maybe they should only be able to build a weaker Fort clone (and one that doesn't upgrade to anything), rather than the real thing?

Control over just the one tile and a minor defence bonus, perhaps?

Or maybe the commander should be 'rooted' in place; taking up the role of the fort commander - until you move it, at which time the fort would also go? It would fit the idea of it being just a field fortification, rather than something more lasting.

It's main use was intended to allow you to build a fort in enemy territory, as a base. I think I'll either require you to be in enemy territory to build it, or go with the rooted commander idea... Only problem with that is the Clan and their boss line.

Hmm... not sure if this is the place to post this, but I played as the Frost last night and noticed a few bugs:

Researching the White Hand religion. after researching it, it get's stuck and continues to research it again after it's already been researched. it doesn't progress the second time, it just sits there and doesn't move.

My units keep getting forced out of their capitol city. I'm not sure what's causing it except that there was a specter floating around the area. could it have scared every unit enough to make them all vacate the city? Even after placing them back there, by the next turn, they're outside again... all on their own.

EDIT: again, i'm sure there's a Frozen bug thread somewhere... but until I find it: I played it a bit more and realized that any time the AI attacks me (me as the frozen), there is no actual battle, whatever units i have in that stack will all move away as if they had retreated. it doesn't matter if they're fortified or not, in a city, a fort, or where ever. they just all move out of the way. in other words, there is no defending of any sort. what's weird is that if they attack a city, all my units vacate it, but the AI doesn't actually capture the city. so next turn i can attack those units in my city, kill them, but the city never changed possession.

Top Bottom