RifE New Feature Speculation

oh and in the situation that brought about the brain hemorrhaging about ice spread earlier, it turns out Auric wasnt even in the illian player's stack. it was either the million priests of winter or the summoned ice elementals themselves that were spreading the ice, and they were even doing it to Desert tiles same-turn. Impossible to defend against.

Request: more spells with cast time please or AT LEAST make casting a spell also consume the unit's movement for that turn. Fireball should require 2 turns to cast and consume moves for all the turns, more because of the luchirp's one-turn firefarting iron golems than because of mage fireballs, but it's still valid. Being able to fireball and attack same turn makes Luchis more or less godly at ironworking+sorcery.

spell cooldowns would go a long way to making Multiplayer sane as well.

Yes normal auric is turning everything near him into snow which is really mindblowingly powerful in battle.

If he is spreading ice, it will be removed. That's only meant for Auric Ascended, and would be too strong on the standard Auric.

Give chalid back his pillar! It's his unique ability! That's like Hemah without Hastur's Razor!

No, that's the Seraph's ability. In both FF and RifE. I'll be keeping it that way, as Pillar of Fire doesn't go with the Sun religion. :p

I like the sound of stronger priest units. I really really dont like Arcane empereror's premature oontz oontz from relying on necromancers... it doesnt take at all long until necros aren't killing ANYTHING to get balefire. Hell by the time you have them the enemy probably has champions and archers on walls...

Arcane will be a desirable trait. That is all I'll say on the matter for now. :p

Still campaigning for a higher initial Awakening rate and a Marksman unit korrinna the black here.

Korinna as a marksman was very strong; Will not be bringing that back, honestly.

Higher Awakening rate is a possibility, but will hold off on that for now; Stronger priests may or may not affect population levels. It's something that has to be balanced carefully.

Oh, and on the subject of the black..... Hauntstalk ( black korinna's upgrade form) needs rebalancing. 9-13 first strikes, cannibalize, and 90% withdrawal actually had the Khazad player in my team send four Phalanx, Bambur, and a stack of the khazad Champion unit all mithril upgraded and buffed with enchanted blade at her THEN THE MITHRIL GOLEM ( which needs it's armageddon counter requirement back btw, it was only turn 220 and he was running around with it) and they all died, including the mithril golem.

Will look at it; Hauntstalks weren't something I ever really used.

On the Mithril Golem - Why should it be tied to AC? It has nothing to do with Armageddon whatsoever. Higher cost/tech reqs, maybe, but not an AC requirement.

oh and in the situation that brought about the brain hemorrhaging about ice spread earlier, it turns out Auric wasnt even in the illian player's stack. it was either the million priests of winter or the summoned ice elementals themselves that were spreading the ice, and they were even doing it to Desert tiles same-turn. Impossible to defend against.

IIRC, Ice Elementals cause a temporary freezing when they die. Thought I removed it, but it may have slipped past... Will look at it when I look at the White Hand.

Request: more spells with cast time please or AT LEAST make casting a spell also consume the unit's movement for that turn. Fireball should require 2 turns to cast and consume moves for all the turns, more because of the luchirp's one-turn firefarting iron golems than because of mage fireballs, but it's still valid. Being able to fireball and attack same turn makes Luchis more or less godly at ironworking+sorcery.

If anything, I would nerf just the Luchuirp version. Mages as it stands should be strong (though we ARE adding a way to combat them, beyond just an Assassin... And a way to protect them, as well. ;)), and will stay that way.

spell cooldowns would go a long way to making Multiplayer sane as well.

The plan we have will work better. Will have a clear way to combat mages/priests (yes, priests too. Tsunami is hardcore. :lol:), without actually limiting their utility or leaving them as instant kills.

Mithril golem requires 60 AC in normal FFH iirc but like I said players can abuse the hell out of many things in rife to get really far ahead in science and production. Does the mithril golem need to be walking around at turn 220? RoK already needs some nerfbat.

Korinna the Marksman would actually be useful though. The martyrs of patria are korinna wannabes and they're marksman units. What point in making Black a hero Hunter? Pro animal capturer? Leave that junk to the austrin. Red korinna is superior in every way to Black until you unlock Hauntstalk, which is just overpowered (invisible unit that prettymuch can't die and can kill entire LARGE armies by itself on defense thanks to skads of first strikes, cannibalism, and 90% withdrawal. If Hauntstalk form black korinna could actually kill units on attack she'd be the god unit of the game. Normal black K shouldnt suck and upgraded black K shouldnt be imba. Prettymuch all the problems with the Scions are because the creator thought way too hard about balance and forgot that the other civs sure as hell aren't designed with all the zero-sum balance mechanics the scions use aka the frekkin alcinus tower's potential huge happy/health penalties just to give you your palace mana and a small training rate boost)

The AI never seems to build the mercurian gate and rarely researches the Veil in Rife and I've STILL never seen Acheron or the guardian of pristin pass in any of (many) multiplayer games in it. I dont know why. And if you build the mercurian gate in multi it's either hideously useless if you just let the mercurians do their thing, and it makes the game OOS if you switch to them.

Multiplayer balance shouldnt even include the Infernals or the Mercurians, they are a non-factor. Give Chalid back his unique ability or make mercs/infers playable by humans from turn 1 with mechanics to support playing them as a real civ.

The reason spells need casting time or cooldowns is because multiplayer tends to boil down to who clicks faster or who didnnt get a "this constellation that has nothing to do with you" popup.

and the ice is some kind of passive. I had to re-Scorch my desert every turn to prevent it from upgrading even when I wasnt being attacked, and it suddenly became Tundra and allowed the horde to walk right on in. No elemental dying was required.

and the ice is some kind of passive. I had to re-Scorch my desert every turn to prevent it from upgrading even when I wasnt being attacked, and it suddenly became Tundra and allowed the horde to walk right on in. No elemental dying was required.

I thought that the climate changed in only Illian lands, and the only thing that could spread ice out of that would be either blizzards (which are pretty rare now, but can be dragged along by priests of winter), ice elementals dying (including when they disappear at the start of next term - counts as them dying and so spreads ice), the deepening ritual or frozen lands spell. There's also that event about a 'cold winter' which temporarily changes the climate of a few tiles.

By the way, are the tiles changed by the deepening ritual permanent or will they revert back to their original climate in ~10 turns? If so , it makes it pretty ineffective for the hammers put into it.

The plan we have will work better. Will have a clear way to combat mages/priests (yes, priests too. Tsunami is hardcore. :lol:), without actually limiting their utility or leaving them as instant kills.

This sounds interesting! I wonder if the AI will make good use of this, it would definitely help balance out the obvious magic superiority that a player has over the AI.

On an aside, I was looking at the Orbis board and they're talking about reforming the spell system.. :scan:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356191

I thought that the climate changed in only Illian lands, and the only thing that could spread ice out of that would be either blizzards (which are pretty rare now, but can be dragged along by priests of winter), ice elementals dying (including when they disappear at the start of next term - counts as them dying and so spreads ice), the deepening ritual or frozen lands spell. There's also that event about a 'cold winter' which temporarily changes the climate of a few tiles.

By the way, are the tiles changed by the deepening ritual permanent or will they revert back to their original climate in ~10 turns? If so , it makes it pretty ineffective for the hammers put into it.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's the Ice Elementals dying, not Auric.

Deepening is temporary, I think... Will check it.

This sounds interesting! I wonder if the AI will make good use of this, it would definitely help balance out the obvious magic superiority that a player has over the AI.

On an aside, I was looking at the Orbis board and they're talking about reforming the spell system.. :scan:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356191

Actually, as the system is partially a modification of existing Firaxis code, and partially new code by us (the counter-counter part :p) which will be on promotions (which can be valued so the AI knows it's important), it should be used fairly well.

Edit: On the Orbis spell system change... I don't particularly care for it. I don't want to depart from the traditional 21 spheres. Some of his ideas, though (more spells per promotion, passive effects on the promotions, etc) could be useful; I'll see how he develops it before I make up my mind on any of it. ;)

The tester social group has some info yeh? Its open for public and for anyone to read ;)

I knew it wasnt the intention, which is why I pointed it out! Did I make your heart beat faster? Did you panic somehow? Hahah

It popped up as the 'random social group' once i was browsing something else.
But im very much looking forward to the updates *drooooooooooolh*

With Opera joining the Rife Team I hope more parts of LENA (Especial the Gnolls) will make it to RIFE and maybe in some futere release even the Plant Race she planed.

The landwalking 14strenght sharks with blitz?? No, they'll experience those soon enough.

More padding for the AI. Perhaps a system where the AI gets a passive tech bonus based on the difficulty the power has selected and the amount of research the top researchers have. Kind of like tech spreading in Rise of Mankind but stronger for the AI.

Fewer sources of research-slider independant income ( markets, gambling houses, runes of kilmorph and its temples, stonefire guild). Too much un-taxed (post-tax?) pile icon money in rife and ffh in general but it's most notable in rife and fall further because of settling animals and the guilds.

rebalance scholarship to a lower power. It's so good you dont need to run anything else.

Buff Theocracy, it has nothing but nerfs right now. Never used.

Reconsider zero-sum balancing in general. Gaining 3 of one thing but losing 3 of something else is no net gain so why ask the player to do it.

More padding for the AI. Perhaps a system where the AI gets a passive tech bonus based on the difficulty the power has selected and the amount of research the top researchers have. Kind of like tech spreading in Rise of Mankind but stronger for the AI.

Tech diffusion might be a good idea to keep AI civs in the game - especially those that have been unlucky with orthus/zarcaz/acheron/140str-sharks, it might be worth trying this out to see if it works. :)

Fewer sources of research-slider independant income ( markets, gambling houses, runes of kilmorph and its temples, stonefire guild). Too much un-taxed (post-tax?) pile icon money in rife and ffh in general but it's most notable in rife and fall further because of settling animals and the guilds.

I've always wondered why markets have had straight-up gold bonus, I always thought it should have a commerce bonus instead. I think that RoK does need to have the gold though, it's an innate part of the religion's benfits. Guilds are being reworked, as is the animal settling - it's been said that it won't be as desirable in the next version.

Buff Theocracy, it has nothing but nerfs right now. Never used.

I disagree on this, I like the change to theocracy. It's a good encouragement to keep just one religion in your civ instead of founding several and it buffs all your disciple units.
That, and it makes it easy to go for an altar victory :)

Top Bottom