[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

how do you actually use the builders charge to rush district projects with royal society. i bought a bunch of builders in prep for getting the society. got it. put them on the spaces where i am either building a new district or adding to it (bank in commercial district etc) but there is nothing in the command bar for the builders that shows how to use the charge....nothing in the civopedia to explain it. so, how do you use them in this manner?

how do you actually use the builders charge to rush district projects with royal society. i bought a bunch of builders in prep for getting the society. got it. put them on the spaces where i am either building a new district or adding to it (bank in commercial district etc) but there is nothing in the command bar for the builders that shows how to use the charge....nothing in the civopedia to explain it. so, how do you use them in this manner?

If it's anything like the Chinese and Aztec builder utility, the button should be located on the top of the unit bar, rather than the improvement sidebar.

It's for district projects, not districts themselves. If you are running a district PROJECT (typically a space victory project if you want to use this ability) you can move to the district tile and add the production to it. The option, as EP said, is located on the top of the unit bar.

So building districts or buildings in districts doesn't count.

Royal Society really does make it cheap. My last game, each 6-charge builder, combined with Pingala's bonus to space projects (they stack, maybe? I dunno) seemed to be giving about 1/4 of each space project. So 4 builders and a project is done, is an awful lot cheaper than buying a great scientist. Yeah, it takes 4 turns to complete, but still is a lot cheaper when builders at that point are probably only 600-800 gold each.
HOW do you actually USE the builders charges with Royal Society? i put them on the spaces where i have districts, but there is no command symbol for the builders to use their charges in this manner? how did you figure out how to make that happen?

It sucks that you can use only one builder per turn though.
HOW do you use the builders in this manner? i have royal society, i put builders on a bunch of spaces with districts i am building or building up...but there is no command to use the charges...where is that command?

Last edited by a moderator:
in the game i used it, it let me do the GP district projects, but didn't seem to like the space race ones.

Yup, only district projects (most useful for space ship parts which count as projects). Put the builder on the spaceport while building Launch Earth Satellite, Apollo Mission, or any of the 3 Mars spaceship parts and use the little icon with a + on it when the builder is selected.

The other thread got me wondering, is anyone building water parks? I've built a few. But the major problem with these for me is I don't get the Inspiration for Professional Sports with them like I do with Entertainment districts. Not to mention being able to build Colosseum (though that comes earlier usually). I've built a few in coastal cities, but honestly I feel entertainment districts are better. Now on space restricted maps (like Earth map as Rome), these will be far more handy.

Yup, only district projects (most useful for space ship parts which count as projects). Put the builder on the spaceport while building Launch Earth Satellite, Apollo Mission, or any of the 3 Mars spaceship parts and use the little icon with a + on it when the builder is selected.

The other thread got me wondering, is anyone building water parks? I've built a few. But the major problem with these for me is I don't get the Inspiration for Professional Sports with them like I do with Entertainment districts. Not to mention being able to build Colosseum (though that comes earlier usually). I've built a few in coastal cities, but honestly I feel entertainment districts are better.

I built one to try them. Its usage is a bit more diverse than the Entertainment Complex. If I am going for a Cultural Victory, I would build a Water Park over an Entertainment Complex in coastal cities. The Ferris Wheel and Aquatic Center give Tourism. The Aquarium gives Science.

The other thread got me wondering, is anyone building water parks? I've built a few. But the major problem with these for me is I don't get the Inspiration for Professional Sports with them like I do with Entertainment districts. Not to mention being able to build Colosseum (though that comes earlier usually). I've built a few in coastal cities, but honestly I feel entertainment districts are better. Now on space restricted maps (like Earth map as Rome), these will be far more handy.

The Water district regional effect stack with the entertainment district, so I always try to cover as much cities as I can with both.

HOW do you actually USE the builders charges with Royal Society? i put them on the spaces where i have districts, but there is no command symbol for the builders to use their charges in this manner? how did you figure out how to make that happen?
HOW do you use the builders in this manner? i have royal society, i put builders on a bunch of spaces with districts i am building or building up...but there is no command to use the charges...where is that command?

The answer is literally given in the very two posts about your very annoyed double post.

I tend to build one Water Park as central as possible (if it's available in a lake, otherwise somewhere on the coast) because it stacks with Entertainment Districts. Imo they just take too long if you don't have at least an average production city though.

Personally I'd rather build a Water Park over an Entertainment District every time in a coastal city, the buildings just seem more versatile than the standard ED ones, so why not take advantage when the chance arises? I find the Aquarium science for Shipwrecks interesting since it gives you a use for them if you're not going for a culture victory.

The answer is literally given in the very two posts about your very annoyed double post.

3 posts in 8 years and they're all in this thread today? He's not coming back, we can only hope that he saw the posts and realised what he was doing wrong :sad:

Anyone make the mistake of accepting Mongolia's delegation and embassy then trying to declare war on them? Dear lord, +12 combat strength from intel on enemy movements. Pro-tip, if you try that, you're gonna have a bad time.

Anyone make the mistake of accepting Mongolia's delegation and embassy then trying to declare war on them? Dear lord, +12 combat strength from intel on enemy movements. Pro-tip, if you try that, you're gonna have a bad time.

Heh heh...clever diplomatic Mongols. :D

Delegations and Embassies are removed when you declare war, so he will lose any strength from intel that he get from it. Only sources of intel that stick when you declare war have actual effect on military combat (Printing Technology, Listening Post, Catherine's UA, Mongolia's UA). Sources that are removed like embassies have effect only while at peace, so it's only useful for religious combat.

Delegations and Embassies are removed when you declare war, so he will lose any strength from intel that he get from it. Only sources of intel that stick when you declare war have actual effect on military combat (Printing Technology, Listening Post, Catherine's UA, Mongolia's UA). Sources that are removed like embassies have effect only while at peace, so it's only useful for religious combat.
That wasn't my experience. Perhaps it's a bug but after declaring a formal war (Emperor difficulty if that means anything), that +12 still showed up, it was incredibly difficult.

That wasn't my experience. Perhaps it's a bug but after declaring a formal war (Emperor difficulty if that means anything), that +12 still showed up, it was incredibly difficult.

Are you sure the source was the Embassy? He gets double from each source if I got this right, so a trading post would give him 6, if he already researched the printing tech that's 12.

Are you sure the source was the Embassy? He gets double from each source if I got this right, so a trading post would give him 6, if he already researched the printing tech that's 12.
I didn't realize it came from trading posts as well. That must be it. It displayed as intel on enemy movements and it allowed his crossbowmen to basically 1-shot mine. That was a rude surprise. So could I cancel that out at least slightly if I had trading posts of my own in his cities?

I didn't realize it came from trading posts as well. That must be it. It displayed as intel on enemy movements and it allowed his crossbowmen to basically 1-shot mine. That was a rude surprise. So could I cancel that out at least slightly if I had trading posts of my own in his cities?

No, the trading post intel is part of Mongolia's ability. You can send a spy to one of his cities and run a listening post mission, which give intel while you run it.

Top Bottom