[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

I found that the trade route bonus was pretty awesome actually, a lot more than "a little extra food and gold." The +things for camps and pastures are for both receiving and gaining, so you're double dipping on that bonus for internal routes. Going along with the Magnus growth promotion I just sent all of my routes from the outer cities into the capital. I had more money and bigger cities than I knew what to do with. I prioritized the CH though.

After a while I went external, I guess about when you normally start doing that way. WISSELBANKEN policy card is awesome for them, as is REFORM THE COINAGE golden age.

Of course maybe I just got lucky with lots of camps in my capital.

To add to this, you mention Magnus, but they also synergise well with Reyna since they're trade route heavy - rank her up and buy districts till they are coming out of your ears.

Now that I've achieved Civil Service, the Mekewap is a lot better. I think there was an undocumented housing buff as that civic as well. It doesn't show it on the tooltip, but my Housing from improvements number only makes sense if I'm getting 2 Housing from them now. My cities are getting huge.

Also, now that myself and the AI have improved several camps and pastures, Favorable Terms is getting good.

I guess despite getting all its benefits frontloaded, the Cree still have more of a mid-game peak on their power curve.

Yes. I had to play a number of games as the Cree to figure that out. I wasn't able to play them well as a fast expander, but they can be a juggernaut by the Medieval era (possibly Classical, too, if you're a better player than me). You can use their uniques to time your first golden age to your preference, as neither are particularly useful, to my mind, in the ancient era, but get better as you go along: Mekewaps when you need cheap housing boosts, Okihtcitaws to form inexpensive corps/armies before upgrading to Rangers / Spec Ops.

Also, moving Traders to new cities is especially good for the Cree. Point those traders towards your nearest neighbours and grab up the land before they can. Mid game, a new city with three Traders can grab a lot of territory without spending any gold.

@Guondao: Yes, the Mekewaps made the Cree feel more like Indonesia than any other civ I've played. Tons of housing, so I focused my mid and late game policy cards on generating Amenities (which now and for always will live in the sea for me thanks to Itccone's grandson) and developed honking huge cities. Totally not efficient play, but my giant golden age cities were flipping neighbouring cities like crazy. Then build up the Mekewaps in the newly joined city, have it's population explode, and rinse and repeat, until you've rolled the borders of all your neighbours back to their capitals.

Yes. I had to play a number of games as the Cree to figure that out. I wasn't able to play them well as a fast expander, but they can be a juggernaut by the Medieval era (possibly Classical, too, if you're a better player than me). You can use their uniques to time your first golden age to your preference, as neither are particularly useful, to my mind, in the ancient era, but get better as you go along: Mekewaps when you need cheap housing boosts, Okihtcitaws to form inexpensive corps/armies before upgrading to Rangers / Spec Ops.

Also, moving Traders to new cities is especially good for the Cree. Point those traders towards your nearest neighbours and grab up the land before they can. Mid game, a new city with three Traders can grab a lot of territory without spending any gold.

@Guondao: Yes, the Mekewaps made the Cree feel more like Indonesia than any other civ I've played. Tons of housing, so I focused my mid and late game policy cards on generating Amenities (which now and for always will live in the sea for me thanks to Itccone's grandson) and developed honking huge cities. Totally not efficient play, but my giant golden age cities were flipping neighbouring cities like crazy. Then build up the Mekewaps in the newly joined city, have it's population explode, and rinse and repeat, until you've rolled the borders of all your neighbours back to their capitals.

Yeah, the high population potential makes it likely that they can flip their neighbors. I'm angling to flip my Egyptian neighbor later. Unfortunately, I don't think little miss Golden Age (Tamar) to my south is going to be readily flippable.

The Ancestral Hall is good for the Cree. The free Builder can help you get a Mekewap or two up in your new cities. Transfer a Trader there and run the route back to the capital and it will be good size in no time flat.

Yeah, the high population potential makes it likely that they can flip their neighbors. I'm angling to flip my Egyptian neighbor later. Unfortunately, I don't think little miss Golden Age (Tamar) to my south is going to be readily flippable.

The Ancestral Hall is good for the Cree. The free Builder can help you get a Mekewap or two up in your new cities. Transfer a Trader there and run the route back to the capital and it will be good size in no time flat.

I had Tamar as my neighbour and ally in my latest game. She slipped into one little normal age during the Renaissance and it was like Saturday morning at Smitty's (IHOP for Americans, not sure the rest of the world has dedicated pancake houses?) She stayed my ally through the whole ordeal. Nice of her not to blame me for the fecklessness of her people.

I see that 2kqa_a updated on Friday so hopefully a patch is on the way. I'm hoping for further AI improvements. I watched some of Civtrader6's videos and learned enough that I'm finding it hard to lose :)

They had 2 updates last week. So they are working on something. Next Thursday is the 1 month anniversary of R&F. I wonder if they will do a 30 day patch like they did after vanilla launch.

They had 2 updates last week. So they are working on something. Next Thursday is the 1 month anniversary of R&F. I wonder if they will do a 30 day patch like they did after vanilla launch.

R&F was released on 2018-02-08. Today is the 26th, so R&F is just 18 days out.

R&F was released on 2018-02-08. Today is the 26th, so R&F is just 18 days out.

Next Thursday is March 8th, 28 days after release. That would be a likely date for a "30 day patch" since the 20th day is a Saturday and they tend not to release things on Fridays.

Has anyone been playing the Europe map? I'm on my first game on this map. Are there any goody huts? I don't see any so far. I'm guessing no since the Earth map had none. I take that back, I just found one.

Not a lot of polder locations. I wonder if I can build one by the cliffs of dover

Today is the day I finally get to try Rise and Fall! I went on holiday for three weeks just two days before release, so that's some bad timing there.

So, how has it turned out? Are people happy with the expansion?

I am at least surprised. Like the loyalty system a lot, as it works perfectly against forward settling. FS made me ragequit so many times. No more.

Today is the day I finally get to try Rise and Fall! I went on holiday for three weeks just two days before release, so that's some bad timing there.

So, how has it turned out? Are people happy with the expansion?

One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn. One more turn.

I'm pretty happy with the expansion. Though I will slow down now I'm done with the achievements and playing every leader/civilization. I'm playing the Europe map I mentioned above. It's not the most interesting game. I running with AI+ mod which has a few weird quirks. You can't expect the European lowlands to have much production, and they don't. Thankfully I get river adjacency as the Dutch, I'm starting industrial zones now. They will be the only things to save me, everything takes forever to build. And it's a slow map, I'm not sure what size it is, large maybe? The game is taking a while. I probably won't play this map again. Poor Scythia had the worst starting position, not a single hill or forest I think, she put her unique improvement on nearly every tile in her starting (and only city), barbarians did a number on her.

To add to this, you mention Magnus, but they also synergise well with Reyna since they're trade route heavy - rank her up and buy districts till they are coming out of your ears.
and you likely want harbors in coastal cities anyhow, so Harbormaster will probably work out.

Related--has anyone figured out what "acquire new tiles in city faster" actually means?

Has my first crash to desktop just now. Playing Europe TSL map with AI+ mod, it may be the mod that caused it. Not sure. It's a repeat crash, just crashed again. This game is lost. Most likely it was the mod that is causing this crash.

If anyone is interested it is on Europe TSL map as the Netherlands turn 414 (which is around 1804 or so) only mods are Yet (not) another map packs and AI + mod. I'll be disabling AI+ mod for future games. Game crashes between 414 and 415, cannot progress any further.

Has my first crash to desktop just now. Playing Europe TSL map with AI+ mod, it may be the mod that caused it. Not sure. It's a repeat crash, just crashed again. This game is lost. Most likely it was the mod that is causing this crash.

If anyone is interested it is on Europe TSL map as the Netherlands turn 414 (which is around 1804 or so) only mods are Yet (not) another map packs and AI + mod. I'll be disabling AI+ mod for future games. Game crashes between 414 and 415, cannot progress any further.

I've had several crashes running a handful of mods (including AI+) but haven't gone through them one-by-one yet. Thanks for the update.

Related--has anyone figured out what "acquire new tiles in city faster" actually means?
I just assumed it was akin to the Religious Settlements Pantheon (border growth is x% faster). But I don't know that for certain.

Top Bottom