[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Entered my first dark age since playing every day since release. They make this far too easy

I just got declared war on by Spain and Indonesia, both of which I just met 2 turns ago. No reason at all, they just declared on me (Thought they would have fixed this by now). Anyone else have similar events happening to them?

Thought people might enjoy this. This is the first video of a series about the life of Chinggis Khaan.

^^^ they make fantastic videos. Their run through of the Crusades and the Battle of Kursk is fantastic

I wonder why some authors write thousands of pages in their books about a historic topic, when a video series can summarize every topic in 30 min or less. Obviously there are lots of usefull, necessary or useless informations in the books which are omitted for the videos and someone had to decide what to omitt. It is like a picture : Omitt enough colors and you end in black and white. If you like a video, read a couple of books about the topic to get a broader view on the theme. Don't mistake a video or a story with the history, it is more like a teaser or appetizer.

I agree. I have always been a ww2 buff, specifically the eastern front but knew zero about the crusades other than Christians get chapped Butt cheeks when the big bad Muslims moved in. But their video gave me a great entertaining summary that spurred me to read more on the subject

After a Golden Age, I fell into dark age, and then waged war to uplift me into Heroic Age, and continue the war while still accumulating era points to end up in golden age.
That really hammers the point that this game is war-heavy. I am now the only civ left on my continent and pursuing science victory while everyone hates me.
Pretty 180o turn from my previous win that is mostly peaceful religious victory.

I'm trying the Cree for the first time. The Mekewap is kind of underwhelming, but it will get better with further techs and civics.

The UA is kind of nice right at the beginning, but once it's done it's done. The LUA doesn't seem to have a whole lot of value. Just a little extra food and gold per route. And the visibility thing is kind of meh.

The UU is nice for scouting, but pricey. Some have talked about doing a scout rush, but I still think an archer rush is superior.

So what is the big appeal for playing the Cree? Is something better than I am seeing?

The Mekewap is amazing/borderline overpowered. Housing is never an issue and mediocre tiles that would go to waste are now useful because of it IMO.

The Mekewap is amazing/borderline overpowered. Housing is never an issue and mediocre tiles that would go to waste are now useful because of it IMO.

Is the Mekewap the Cree equivalent to an Indonesian Kampung? :D

I'm trying the Cree for the first time. The Mekewap is kind of underwhelming, but it will get better with further techs and civics.

The UA is kind of nice right at the beginning, but once it's done it's done. The LUA doesn't seem to have a whole lot of value. Just a little extra food and gold per route. And the visibility thing is kind of meh.

The UU is nice for scouting, but pricey. Some have talked about doing a scout rush, but I still think an archer rush is superior.

So what is the big appeal for playing the Cree? Is something better than I am seeing?
The appeal seems to be that the UA gets you off to a strong start by handing you a free trade route and free method of expansion. I've seen some pretty crazy Cree borders early on thanks to it. The LA is also pretty decent, if my assumption that the bonus applies to internal trade routes, and that you get gold when people send their trade routes to you. And the Mekewap gives pretty solid yields if they're placed correctly, but those can be hard to achieve at times. They do scale amazingly though. I will say they're not among the best Civs in the game, but they're good and unique, and therefore fun to play.

The LUA can be pretty awesome if you get the right city with a number of pastures/camps (and get those up early), but in general it's minor. The UI is definitely weaker in the beginning (unless you need early housing), but definitely kicks in later. Though a well placed one is great in that you get food+prod (and sometimes gold). There's no defending that UU.

My experience with them was similar when I started where I wasn't blown away at the start, but by mid-game it was a lot more apparent. Between the UI (and it's housing bonus) and the LUA to some degree, you just end up with a lot more significant sized cities by mid-game than you usually do, and this was without building granaries, or farm triangles.

With Cree, it seems AI is more prone to be peaceful simply for that shared visibility for all levels of alliance. Mekewap is nice in the long run as you found more and more resources. That LUA is simply crazy for big Cree civ with tons of internal trade routes. The UU is good for fearless early exploration. It can face barb's scouts and warriors alone in the wild.

What I like most about the Cree is that it's actually realistic to get into a Classical Golden Age because of the 8 Era Points from the unique unit and unique improvement, something that I feel like is impossible to do with other civilizations, at least on deity/standard speed. In fact even with the Cree I feel like I need to scramble for all Era Points and, if possible, build a Splendid Campus or something in order to get there.

Now that I've achieved Civil Service, the Mekewap is a lot better. I think there was an undocumented housing buff as that civic as well. It doesn't show it on the tooltip, but my Housing from improvements number only makes sense if I'm getting 2 Housing from them now. My cities are getting huge.

Also, now that myself and the AI have improved several camps and pastures, Favorable Terms is getting good.

I guess despite getting all its benefits frontloaded, the Cree still have more of a mid-game peak on their power curve.

The unique scout for the cree might be overblown in my case as I use the good goody huts mod which makes goody huts a lot more abundant and exciting to me so getting a quick mobile scout out to get more of them is a lot of fun

I found that the trade route bonus was pretty awesome actually, a lot more than "a little extra food and gold." The +things for camps and pastures are for both receiving and gaining, so you're double dipping on that bonus for internal routes. Going along with the Magnus growth promotion I just sent all of my routes from the outer cities into the capital. I had more money and bigger cities than I knew what to do with. I prioritized the CH though.

After a while I went external, I guess about when you normally start doing that way. WISSELBANKEN policy card is awesome for them, as is REFORM THE COINAGE golden age.

Of course maybe I just got lucky with lots of camps in my capital.

Last edited:
Top Bottom