[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

I'm guessing the expansion will have all female leaders for my Civ guesses below :)

Godasiyo - Iroquois
Seondeok of Silla - Korea
Kösem Sultan - Ottoman
Irene of Athens - Byzantine
Mama Ocllo - Inca
Wilhelmina - Netherlands (Dutch)
Shalom Zion (Salome Alexandra) - Hebrews (Judea)
Dido - Carthage
Esther - Persia

Last edited:
Not throwing shade on those who may not know, as I've seen it on many a Civ thread over the years including this one, but just giving a general point of clarification.. Since many people here have non-American origin, it may not be as familiar to you so I hope I can bring this in the right way..

The demonym of a Native American tribe is the same as its tribal name. For instance:
France : French :: Maya : Maya
Greece : Greek :: Inca : Inca
China : Chinese :: Iroquois : Iroquois
Russia : Russian :: Yup'ik : Yup'ik
India : Indian :: Taíno : Taíno

Let me explain how welcome the idea of Thatcher would be with the following anecdote: When she died my friend's Dad organised a street party in celebration. He was far from the only one.

If you put it in those terms, here's to Fidel Castro!

If we've run out of things to discuss...

How about the fact we're getting 14 new buildings?

Is it safe to assume 3 of those buildings are Governemtn Plaza?. That leaves 11 new buildings, not to mention, we could assume that 2 of them are Unique Buildings (and may not actualy count towards the number)

So what do you think those buildings are? Even with the other district having 3 buildings, that still leaves more buildings that we don't know about.

If we've run out of things to discuss...

How about the fact we're getting 14 new buildings?

Is it safe to assume 3 of those buildings are Governemtn Plaza?. That leaves 11 new buildings, not to mention, we could assume that 2 of them are Unique Buildings (and may not actualy count towards the number)

So what do you think those buildings are? Even with the other district having 3 buildings, that still leaves more buildings that we don't know about.

At least 9 are for the Plaza, one for each form of government.

I wonder how that will work in practice. What happens if I do like I usually do when I go for religious victory and go from Monarchy to Theocracy, only I build Monarchy's building before the switch, for instance? Or if I for some strange reason skip the middle rank of governments completely, can I still build the rank 3 buildings? Do we even have confirmation that the Plaza has nine buildings and not just two generic ones for the first two ranks then unique ones at rank 3?

Do we know if every form of government is getting a certain building attached to it? I could see the first three not necessarily having an associated building with it but building a classical era courthouse instead.
I mentioned this earlier but I would like to maybe see an observatory being able to built on a campus adjacent to a mountain, or if adjacent to rainforest a conservatory. An opera house in theater square to put in both works of writing and music maybe?
If we ever get a health district: Apothecary, Hospital, Medical Clinic. If that pier does turn out to be the second district, I'm not sure what buildings would go on it, other than the Ferris Wheel if that doesn't come with it straight away.

Do we know if every form of government is getting a certain building attached to it? I could see the first three not necessarily having an associated building with it but building a classical era courthouse instead.
I mentioned this earlier but I would like to maybe see an observatory being able to built on a campus adjacent to a mountain, or if adjacent to rainforest a conservatory. An opera house in theater square to put in both works of writing and music maybe?
If we ever get a health district: Apothecary, Hospital, Medical Clinic. If that pier does turn out to be the second district, I'm not sure what buildings would go on it, other than the Ferris Wheel if that doesn't come with it straight away.

Would an Anarchy have a continuous riot in its stead?

I figure there are two possibilities:

<standard first building>
<standard second building>
<choice of 9 government buildings>

Or

<choice of Oligarchy, Classic Republic, or Autocracy building>
<choice of Merchant Republic, Monarchy, or Theocracy building>
<choice of Fascism, Democracy, or Communism building>

Last edited:
Zaarin and PhilBowles:
Churchill is a huge character, he would make a great leaderscreen puffing a cigar and grunting.

You Brits would love this one probably:

She's far less popular in the UK (to put it mildly) than she is internationally, and she's absolutely loathed in former industrial and mining areas of the north. She's well-known and well-regarded outside the UK and especially in the US, so that's actually a realistic suggestion, but certainly not a good one.

She also inspired what's always seemed to me possibly the most nakedly hate-filled protest song ever written:

She's far less popular in the UK (to put it mildly) than she is internationally, and she's absolutely loathed in former industrial and mining areas of the north. She's well-known and well-regarded outside the UK and especially in the US, so that's actually a realistic suggestion, but certainly not a good one.

She also inspired what's always seemed to me possibly the most nakedly hate-filled protest song ever written:

Elvis Costello is English, yet he sounds American when he sings. But, a lot of British singers sound American to me when they sing. :p

I figure there are two options:

Or

The second one seems more likely, as I'm not entirely sure how the first one would work. I.e. if it's like the holy site and you have to build 1 and 2 first, that doesn't leave a long window for you to unlock and build the first two to make use of the first tier government buildings (though frankly if they changed the holy site so you could build your religion building without building 1 and 2, I think that would be a plus).

Also, I'd assume then you'd have to tear down your building (or it just disappears on gov change) in order to build a new one, which seems a bit at odds with their usual game design approaches. Otoh, it is called 'Rise and Fall".

I figure there are two possibilities:

Or

It would be great to list potential buildings for either option.

My guesswork is this:
Autocracy - ?
Oligarchy - ?
Classic Republic - Forum
Monarchy - Exchequer
Merchant Republic - Council Chamber
Theocracy - Synod
Communist - Politboro
Democracy - Parliament
Fascist - Reichstag

Autocracy can be a Domus?
Oligarchy can be a Gerousia?

Not throwing shade on those who may not know, as I've seen it on many a Civ thread over the years including this one, but just giving a general point of clarification.. Since many people here have non-American origin, it may not be as familiar to you so I hope I can bring this in the right way..

The demonym of a Native American tribe is the same as its tribal name. For instance:
France : French :: Maya : Maya
Greece : Greek :: Inca : Inca
China : Chinese :: Iroquois : Iroquois
Russia : Russian :: Yup'ik : Yup'ik
India : Indian :: Taíno : Taíno

I thought it was Mayan and Incan. That's incorrect?

Isn't that just speculation?

My guesswork is this:
Autocracy - ?
Oligarchy - ?
Classic Republic - Forum
Monarchy - Exchequer
Merchant Republic - Council Chamber
Theocracy - Synod
Communist - Politboro
Democracy - Parliament
Fascist - Reichstag

Isn't "Reichstag" specifically the German parliament?

Any guesses at what the second new unique district will be?

Courthouse and police station and another building (something spy related?) into some sort of judicial/legislative district? Courthouse could improve loyalty, police station reduce espionage chances - it seems sort of thematic, but also maybe a little redundant with the government district.

Hotel and visitor center and another building (maybe a gift shop doing % tourism to gold) from 5 could go into a 'tourist' district. Replacing the policy cards with city/aoe culture to tourism boosts to make it more placement based? It doesn't exactly fit with the them of the expansion.

What other 'standard' building sets are we missing? Some sort of recycling center/mass transit district? (unlikely with some sort of global warming mechanic).

Isn't "Reichstag" specifically the German parliament?
It‘s not a fascist name. Reichstage happened in the HRE already. And yes it is the name of the former German Parliament (also before 1933), nowadays the name of the building only.

Top Bottom