1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 3.0 (final version) design discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Mar 27, 2010.

1. BlackZiggerat

BlackZiggerat Chieftain

Also,
    If it's not too much trouble. Ive been working w the techs & units, and I'm having difficulty w the build cost of Settlers. It tacks on 127 production above base cost to make a settler, and I don't know where that is coming from. It puts my cities about 800 years to build a settler. I've explored the following files, but cannot find the culprit:
    XML-GAMEINFO-CIV4ERAINFOS
    -CIV4GAMESPEEDINFO
    -UNITS-CIV4UNITINFOS

I've adjusted all percentages to 100% (or standard no adjustment) to find the discrepency, but it eludes me. All the other units produce out fine, but not settlers.
    I presume there is an overriding file in one of the module paths, but have not yet found it.

Anyone, any advice, any time... welcomed.

2. i_diavolorosso

i_diavolorosso Prince

Zap, for the sake of aesthetic, could you please, please, please scale down karnak temple complex, so it would at least look as normal as other building. Currently, i really avoid to build karnak, because it ruin my city beauty:sad:

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

There is an AND option on the last tab of the Cntl-O options that exactly this. IE anything that you can't build right now does not appear in the city build list.

4. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Indeed RoM (even without AND) is going to still be way better than anything civ 5 will be. I would like to keep modmoding for AND even after civ 5 comes out.There is just so much we can still do and I am really not all that impressed with civ 5 yet.

So thanks Zappara for making such a strong base for us modmods to build upon. Anyone can make a mod but it takes a special person to get others to want mod your mod.

5. BlackZiggerat

BlackZiggerat Chieftain

Thanks 4 that Dancing Hoskuld. Already applied. Anyone else know about the RoM.AND settler production?

6. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

Tell that to the Faroes Islanders and the Japanese :cry:

7. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

True, there's always people who don't follow the rules set by international laws... it's just not those you mentioned, there's overfishing done all over the places - except perhaps in Iceland where they use different and better system.

8. BlackZiggerat

BlackZiggerat Chieftain

How difficult would it b 2 set the game to produce 1 great person point per level of culture per city? It seems somewhat appropriate, since the culture level of a city is innately such a profoundly powerful factor. It could b woven into Civ4CultureLevelInfo, just under the iCityDefenseModifier. This would fit nicely for modding, though I'm not certain what effect this would have on the core program functions. Any thoughts?

9. BlackZiggerat

BlackZiggerat Chieftain

Is there a way to express in game the cost of maintaining technologies? They aren't, after all, self-sustaining. A technology that isn't taught, vanishes. Also, the body as a whole doesn't contain every nuance of every technology. The various factions, guilds, and corporations fight ruthlessly to keep and conceal the techniques and technologies that they acquire. Some go to the grave w the users. How might this also be reflected? I've been interested in tech-loss since Civ 2, many year back. And now there is a mechanism to show the decay of buildings and the like. If a tech might cost 1 science point per turn to maintain, or a certain percentage of the discover cost, minimum 1, then this would certainly reflect the slowing of development without certain supportive measures. Such as writing; ergo... libraries... schools... etc.
    Hmmm...

10. delez

delez Chieftain

hi, do you recall Alpha centauri?
    well, I loved the name of the rivers, the mountains, etc with a little white lettering... like a map.
    Is it possible to have it on RoM?
    Thanks

11. spad85IT

spad85IT Chieftain

Hi!

I've just started playing RoM and I like it very much. I have a question about religion... and maybe an improvement.

New religions are fine... but what happens in the modern era? I mean... in my game (590 AD) 43% of people is Zoroastrism. Is there any reason why AI players would change that "ancient religion" with a "modern" one (islam, christianity...)? If the answer is "no" I think that ancient religion should be penalised (or modern religion should have more bonus) in order to make it more realistic: personally I don't like to have zoroastrism as the first religion in the world in 2000AD
    Otherwise, if there is already a mechanism to encourage players (edit: both AI and Human) to abandon ancient religion and move to modern ones... well, in this case I'm sorry, I will play until the end of the game and see what happens.

I hope my english is not too bad...

12. lukey52

lukey52 Chieftain

So spread your own religion? I find the AI always goes for the 1 founded by Ceremonial burial (name slipped my mind). So I will go for polytheism for the nice +3 culture bonus of Hinduism. Great for early game culture expansion. Most of the time I will then switch as soon as I get Hellenism because once your unit production cities has the temple the units pumped out get that nice promotion. Usually not more than 30 minutes after that the entire known world is following Hellenism and I've got a lot of happy civ's ;) Definitely works well for my favoured game play (large water maps where there is often plenty of contacts after optics) as you've got a lot of allies by this point backing you up.

Talking of that I guess it depends how you play. I started a map the other day where I was getting a crazy large number of bulbs a turn from the time I settled so I went ahead and was the first to found all the early and middle religions. Unfortunately the area was perfect for settling and I had a lot of expansive neighbours and not wanting or being able to take them out I was forced to expand to islands to stop them suffocating me. Naturally led to rebellions and cash flow problems causing me to slow right down on techs. This left the 14 odd AI with Islam, Taoism and Christianity to fight over and by the 16th C Christianity was up to almost 40% of the world (until me and my Hellenist brothers declared a holy war and razed the holy land, made the founder capitulate and got him following the true faith :goodjob:)

13. spad85IT

spad85IT Chieftain

Of course. But I'm not talking about that.

My opinion is that it is strange to see religions like hellenism or zoroastrism in 2000 AD (I mean as "main religions"). I think that religions like christianity, islam and the other religion that still exist nowadays should have more bonus. Otherwise in most of the games the first religions to be "discovered" will be every time the most widespread.

14. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Civilization is not a historical simulator, it is a game. I personally enjoy those "what if" scenarios.

15. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

You can add signs to mountains and rivers etc. (works even in regular BtS).

16. spad85IT

spad85IT Chieftain

I know... maybe you are right :goodjob:

17. delez

delez Chieftain

oh please find a little time to explain me how to do this!!! :rolleyes:

18. konradcabral

konradcabral Prince

I don't just enjoy the "what if" scenarios. For me, Civ is these scenarios.

19. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

This is one of the features I've put some work into, and is up for vote as to when it should be added in A New Dawn. You can see preliminary work here, and vote here.

Exactly. People that want a purely historical game can go play RFC. ;)

20. spad85IT

spad85IT Chieftain

I know it's not a historical game :|

As I said it's my first game using this mod and I wonder if "ancient religions" would always be the most widespread or not. Anyway forget my post.