1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 3.0 (final version) design discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Mar 27, 2010.

1. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

My biggest issue with 2.91 is all the Obsolete buildings.
    My suggestion is to make them part of upgrade paths whenever possible.

Another thing about the upgrade paths : Why not give a bonus for construction if earlier building is in the city. F.ex : The Port gets +25% :hammers: if Harbour is in the city.

2. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

And change the buttons for Guided and Precision Missiles.

Some suggestions :

Guided :

Precision :

They are both DDS 5, with alphachannels and without mipmaps, so they should look nice in both high and low res.

Edit : Might as well change the V1 as well ;)

Dbl edit : Wasnt so happy about the V1 so here it goes without insignia :

3. Xagrim

Xagrim Chieftain

Perhaps for a Modmod are WaterTowns and settle in the Space are avaible?

4. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Nice icons vincentz!:goodjob:

5. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I am sure that there were water towns at one time in RoM. There is work happening on space exploration and settlement see The Ascent of Mankind

6. Killtech

Killtech Discutator

i concur with that. the idea is good, or even very good and i think there's a much greater problem with RoM in general which could be eased with such building upgrade chains. it seems to be the core problem with AIs weakness too:

the economy became too much boosted with all the additional buildings. this results in a excessive bonus in production, commerce & food. players who don't focus on economic buildings that grant these bonuses fall back with everything. and of course the AI does not focus on economy that much.

i've started a thread about this originally in the AND forum:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362181

and opened a new one here in the RoM forum as this problem originates here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362204

7. Grapa

Grapa Warlord

Make it faster. It's painfully boring once you reach the Transhuman Age, which is the best part. It's not very fun when you have to wait 5 minutes for the next turn. But besides that, the mod is fantastic. Great work!

8. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

The aluminium factory is still in the "old" format, being able to build 5 national wonder factories each producing 1 aluminium instead of the 1 factory with -1 aluminium resources.

BTW the Aluminium factory is spelled Aluminum missing the i.

Another thing :

How about giving Navigation I Promotion double move coast but without +1 movement
    Nav II remove double move coast

and remove the +1 movement from Navigation tech and Refrigiation.
    Also reintroduce the 3 move ocean and 2 move coast.

Could also give Nav I to shipyard, Nav II to drydock and Nav III to Naval Academy.

This way the ships will "loose" 3 movement points, which makes them better balanced as they are VERY fast in modern era.

9. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I believe that IUPAC spells it "aluminium" as well :)

10. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

Just a couple of icons ;)

Stiletto Boat

Biological/Chemical Missile

Galley or War Galley Up2U

Coal Power Plant

T95

11. Talin2009

Talin2009 King

12. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

Yeah, I know. I tried to contact the Uralvagonzavod design bureau, but they where kind of cheapy dealing out pictures of the T95 ;)

I just made the icon as the T95 had the same icon as the Modern Armor, and as long as no one knows how the T95 looks like, I think its ok. (Though might change it as they apparently reveal the T95 in the summer 2010)

13. Killtech

Killtech Discutator

wow, you are really perfectionists :). for me its even hard to tell the difference between a WW2 tank and a modern one - especially from such small pictures.

very nice works vincentz.

14. Talin2009

Talin2009 King

as i said there are no reliable photos/designs out there because its highly confidential as of now. As for summer 2010, i think we wont be seeing it as it deveopment program along some other programs (i'm speaking of arms programs in general) were delayed, strategic decision was made to focus on selected number of programs which can be ready for mass production in next 2-3 years and deployed in troops in 2013-2015. Among other systems new artillery complex "Coalition-SV", supposed to replace "Msta" was also put on second priority now.

As for t-95, several prototypes have been made, and there were quality tests by ministry of defence, some parts of tank passed those and some did not meet requirements. While program was not closed altogether, priority right now have been made for producing t-90s modifications with new optics, electronics, guidance systems etc. and to deeply modify existing t-80s. Also, as of now we have around 20k tanks deployed in troops and parked in bases, and after planned decrease there will remain around 12k total. Probably that was part of decision - that we don't really need more tanks now.

p.s. sorry for offtopic :)

15. JanissaryRush

JanissaryRush Warlord

It is good for the game and historically accurate that weaker civs pull together more. The opposite is just as true. The strongest civs get a rivalry and animosity between each other. Maybe the top 3rd, not slight above 50%. The 2 strongest should have even more negative between each other, this -rep shouldn't start for 100 turns or so. Throughout history the 2 most powerful in a region have really disliked eachother. Other strong ones should dislike the strongest a little more than average strongest civs.

This should apply to known civs, say your on a continent, you could be 5th more powerful overall and an opponent 8th with 4 other weaker civs. Your opponent doesn't known he's 8th, from his view point he's second and your first. Until he sees other civs its like they don't exist.

The Aztec were way weaker than European nations, until they met them their biggest rivals were the second most powerful as they didn't know or even think other more powerful nations existed.

Weaker civs should be more willing to trade techs and sign defensive pacts.

If one civs is really pulling away, other strong civs should be more tempted to work together do something to slow him down. Like agree to cancel trade treaties, trade techs more with each other and less with leader, possibly ganging and starting a war against him. That is only if he has a significant lead, not a small one.

16. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

Some upgrade suggestions :

Upgrade seaplane to A10 Warthog only (not to bomber)

Don't upgrade Transport & Landing Ship to Stiletto*

*Might have a look at my Troop Transport

Bazooka should give interceptchance. Not AntiTank

Don't upgrade Grenadier to Infantry.

Machine Gun upgrade to Marine (or modern marine) not Armoured Car or Mech Inf.

Javelineer upgrade to both spearman and pikeman

17. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

more suggestions :

How about making the Zeppelin into an early "helicopter" not upgraded by cavalry but will upgrade to helicopter. Reason : That way they can actually see Subs and their flying style made them available to land and refuel anywhere, and keeping them airborne for a long time.

and Cavalry at Steam Power? Why? Maybe make it Military Tradition (and still rifling and stirrup) instead.

and how about making the Paratrooper and Marine upgraded from Infantry but in a similar fashion as the Special Forces (national units). Maybe make # of Paratroopers x2 (6) of S.F and Marines x3 (9) of S.F. And maybe even make S.F. upgradeable from Infantry. Reason : These units are fun, but rarely ever built (especially from AI). (And ofcourse do the same with modern infantry and modern marine/paratrooper)

18. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

And now....... some more Unit Icons... (Triple posts. tsk tsk...)

EMP SAM

AA Halftrack (other one too dark)

Modern Marine

WWII Paratrooper

Light AA Gun

And a new healers hut (otherone too dark)

19. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Vincentz is on a roll!:goodjob:

20. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

Hehe. Not done yet ;)

French Dragoon

French Foreign Legion

Navy Seal

What if the Navy Seals and Foreign Legions were made to Special Forces instead of Marines. Reason : The Marines will be upgraded to Modern Marines, therefore "removing" the NavySeals and ForeignLegions.

Edit : on a Unit Icon sidenote. I think (but it might just be my screen setting) that almost all of the "new" tanks, where the icon is taken from civilopedia, is too dark and too much contrast. It can be very hard to spot the difference between them. If you still have the pictures, I'd suggest somewhere around +100 brightness and -20 to -30 contrast (photoshop setting). If not, you can post the dds and I'll brigthen them up.