1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Roads and resources:

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by henrebotha, Jun 19, 2010.

1. henrebotha

henrebotha proud Fender owner

That's nice, dear.

2. v8_mark

v8_mark Prince

Next in the series: units. Not only can they move around the map, but if you move next to an enemy unit, you can kill it! Sweet.

3. Don Carnage

Don Carnage Chieftain

Those tips should have spoilers around them, they simply make the game to easy to beat, or at least one or two levels lower in difficulty.

But thanks! Now I can win DIETY! :goodjob:

Edit: I experimented around with the road and unit "cheats" mentioned, and found something incredible, I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet: put a military unit on a road tile, then move it to another road next turn - it can move two tiles! Somehow the road seems to accelerate movement, so a foot unit has two or more moves, and a horse unit just flies! Wonder if you can do the same with railroads, although I haven't played that far...

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

That is a pretty truthful statement indeed :p If you don't make roads and don't connect resources, the game will surely seem one level or two harder :p

5. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

If what the OP says is true (and frankly I find it hard to believe, but I'm jus' sayin') then it would seem that roads are the superior.

I'll have to look into this.

6. nishant1911

nishant1911 *hugs*

attacko you have a contender to your throne.:lol:

7. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

sounds like an interesting idea r role. play awhole game without building roads. lol

would be interesting to try. maybe i will do one on settler. probably will try mongels on earth 18

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

It was already done. Check the SG subforum for RBtS 4

9. Don Carnage

Don Carnage Chieftain

Try chieftain, it may be easier than you think. To get around not using roads, simply view it as you got fewer settle-able resources than the AI, plus a likely decrease in viable city sites. The basic improvements like farms, mines, towns, etc. still work, and every resource that is settled on or connected to a city by a river still works. Then there's the game mechanic problem of roads not built by you, not to mention trade. So I think basically you'd be fine. But of course it's still very silly not to take advantage of roads :)

With mongols I'd settle on horse, grab china, a build only coastal and river if possible. Everything else is barren wasteland or simply patrolled barb territories. You only need one of each resource, so it's kind of a different city placement strategy if you ever need to settle - could be very fun actually. </masochist>

10. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

it couldn't be more difficult than a OCC.

On the Original Topic:
    To put troops onto ships, you have 2 methods: Either put the ship on the coast and have the units move into it, or put it in a city and have units in the city use the Load command. All of those units immediately lose all of their movement, so you can't land them on the other shores until next turn. To land them, use the exact same method as before but in reverse: Move the stack of ships onto land, or use the unload command!

Doing this will allow you to conquer other Islands or even Continents!

11. DreamworK

DreamworK Chieftain

wtf is a road?

12. bobbyboy29

bobbyboy29 I was saying boo-urns...

I definately think that we need a separate thread in which one person states the obvious and then 1,000 civ fanatics can vent all of their frustrations in the form of sarcastic backhanded comments. Surely the world would then be a much better place!

P.s: Roads are overrated, just use forts!;)

13. jokoneli

jokoneli Warlord

WTF is a fort?????

14. Alki

Alki Prince

It's just a fancy wall joined up to other fancy walls.

Speaking of walls... did you know that if put a wall around your city it makes it harder to kill the warriors cowering behind it!?

15. Herb0815

Herb0815 Chieftain

I heard about the roads, but my settles only found cities and never build roads. :sad:

16. Alki

Alki Prince

17. FlyingSwan

FlyingSwan King

Unless your Roman of course...then you can get Engineer Bigus Fastus Roadus about 450BC.

18. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Yeah, next the Via Apia will be a World wonder for Civ, so those players who don't understand roads can just build a wonder.

The Autobahn will probably take the place for Railroads.

19. Kwik E Mart

Kwik E Mart Chieftain

check out airports...that will REALLY twist yer melon!

20. Alki

Alki Prince

For ships that fly instaed of float I suppose? You're yanking our chain!