Role PLay Challenge: Chairman Mao's Revised Plan

I prefer to axe rush suryaman asap. He's annoying as hell, better to get him out of the way early.

Seconded, if possible. He'll DoW you when you're in the middle of war. And he's one of the most difficult to trade with.

"Sure Suryaman.... Give me Drama and I'll give you Electricity and 1000 gold, right..."

Spoiler tags!

You can atone by helping me out with my question above :p.

Not a spoiler, MadScientist already met him.

Seconded, if possible. He'll DoW you when you're in the middle of war. And he's one of the most difficult to trade with.

"Sure Suryaman.... Give me Drama and I'll give you Electricity and 1000 gold, right..."

Yeah, and any time you don't help him he's one of the few that gets -2. Very difficult to get along with.

If sury were closer, I'd agree, but after the last game I think the last thing mao needs is to over stretch himself.

Plenty of space to peacefully expand for a bit and actually get some kind of an economy going this time.

It's too late for a chariot rush to work anyway. He's got two cities up. It'd have to be an early war instead. For that he should grow at the moment.

-abs

Spoiler :

Sury had something to say about worldwide communism, eh? I couldn't prep my army in time. What I hadn't realized, due in part to bad play and also to universally bad relations on my continent, is what kind of damage Sury was doing to Willem.

I'm sure, judging by the score screen, that you can figure it out though.

To add insult to injury, look at Sury's SoD. Yes, he had some wellies to counter my massed knights. But, just to rub it in, HE HAD MORE KNIGHTS THAN ME! I seriously let him get too big. Only having had BTS for a week, I did not know how dangerous this guy can be early game.

Shall I try this a 4th time (well, really a 3rd since in one of them i just broke a rule by building the oracle)? At this point, I'll not post any more pictures unless I actually show some success. Or, should I just edit out my older posts with each new try (even if it takes 10!) so as to not spam the board? What's more kosher?

You'll notice I'm stubborn. Very, very stubborn. I'll probably keep redoing this until I win. Maybe I'll learn something along the way. Maybe I'll just go back in time and stick a knife in a certain annoying leader's eye......! :p

OK, my view on this cahllenge. I need some patience as that was my key mistake the first game, plus the RPC settings were too difficult.

Since we need the most population to win, eventually we need to war and most likely clean shop on our continent. Surymanan is the most agressive here but all three are know for taking up the Sword. Sury also is usually the most dangerous later on as he continues to build military constantly.

Also Mao is one of those leaders with no built in economy traits, or UB. So we have to go wisely, plus we cannot rely on religion for cash (or merchants!). SO I say we peacefully expand the number of our cities, leverage espionage against predominantly 1 AI (willem?), build military to stay at least level in power numbers, and be ready to dogpile when the eventual war comes. My chief concern is that all three adopt the same religion and get us in a diplomatic corner.

The Khmer cares about religion a great deal, so if he gets one and the other two share it, you'll be his target for sure. On the other hand, he and Justinian might both found one, leading to a holy war between them. Well, just prepare for a war either way, either defending yourself from the Khmer or helping him pummel Justinian.

I think one mistake of the first game was going for war too early and too much though, you took to long to settle all the land to your west. In memory of this, here now I'd prepare a small army for a defensive war against the Khmer (letting them come to you and earning many great general points from fighting in your own territory) or for use against the Byzantine (Justinian doesn't build big armies in my experience), while making sure you keep expanding, seizing the prime locations at least. Avoiding religions limits the size of your cities, make up for it through empire size.

Justinian without religion yet? Very strange. And too bad all your neighbours have religious favourite civics. This time you can give priority to IW/MC/Machinery/Hunt/Archery. Lets see this awesome drill2 UU in action!

BTW Justinian is not creative.

Ummm thats one sexy start with all those cows. I've said it before but I love to see them in my BFC!

With out checking the save Id say settle city 3 first so you envelop Justin. You can apply some cultural pressure and see what happens!

I think one mistake of the first game was going for war too early and too much though, you took to long to settle all the land to your west. In memory of this, here now I'd prepare a small army for a defensive war against the Khmer (letting them come to you and earning many great general points from fighting in your own territory) or for use against the Byzantine (Justinian doesn't build big armies in my experience), while making sure you keep expanding, seizing the prime locations at least. Avoiding religions limits the size of your cities, make up for it through empire size.

I agree with Mesousa. I suggest refrain from waging war before you got CKN. Strategic settling and good econ/teching rate is more important during the classical period.

Once you have gotten CKN though, you can try to kill off one AI totally.

Chairman Mao's Revised Paln: Part II

We have a rather short round here, as I wanted some advice. Nothing really catastrophgic but more of a long range planning type of thing. There are numerous sources of Iron available and I want some ideas on what to claim, delay, and whether we can delay a bit. Read, you'll see what I mean.

First off all, tech path: finish pottery/hunting/archery/IW/started writing.

And as usually Willem is teching right off the map, coming up with this deal meaning he has alphabet.

Also Justinian founded Judaism. Willem already converted, let's hope Sury can pull out Confusianism but I doubt it. We are getting the vile religion spread to us so our cities are producing culture. This should get interesting, as Willem is already a Judaist brother.

We settled city #4 which did stretch our economy a bit, however the gems are a nice happiness addition.

But we are definitely able to handle it as we are cottaging pretty agresively and all our cities are on rivers except the Shanghai which is out dedicated production and eventual military city.

Also Justinian settled that northern wheat/silver area although we should get the marble with the border pop, so the Great Library is a possibility.

We built a settler preparing for the eventual iron mad dash, we also built a little of the pyramids which we lost to but not util we got 140 gold!

So after teching IW, here's the view

Iron in three obvious spots. One is way too close to Sury, one on the west coast but I would not be able to get both seafood and the iron in the BFC. Now Nanjing will claim the iron in 5 turns on a pop, but my concern is that one of the creative AI seizes the Barbarian city and wins a culture war to claim the iron from us.

There is a close iron source to Bejing but in bad lands which are going to conflict with Justinian.

The next city goes somewhere here I think.

My thinking is to settler where the warrior is for city #5. I know that there is alot of jungle but two happiness resources and some prime river area once chopped. And regular Jumbos are the best counter attack to the Khmer UU. I think I would need to quickly settler the seafood city as #6 to assure we get the iron at the third border pop. We don't want Sury sneaking in do we. City #6
could also be the barbarian city but we need some troops first, and that would eliminate the concern with the creative AIs although it is sort of exposed to attack.

OK, let's here some suggestions on settling!!!

Techwise, I think writing and alphabet followed by HBR and Aesthetics. HAs make a real nice addition to the army.

Settle for he iron 1S of dye picking up banana as well. You get rive, and pretty good production too. The mountains make pretty good defensive feature as well.

Personally I would settle the 1E from the warrior for the dye, banana and ivory city. 1W from the archer would give you 2 clams + iron also consider moai in this city.

After these I would consolidate your land and try to get the economy a bit better before settling any more cities. Most immediate benefit would be more workers ;).

Looking forward to the next round and good luck.

I think there is a neat spot on the coast for a production city, straight east from the clam. You'll get 2 clams and iron in the BFC, plus a few hills, and there's a forest you can chop for a monument or a workboat.

I wouldn't bother researching Alphabet, just finish writing then go Aesthetics > HBR. You can trade for Alphabet with Aesthetics usually.

I Agree. If I were you, I might not even want to research HBR but trade for it, but depend on the situation then.

On no of city: I think you can easily afford 2 more cities as you still have +60% research, can crash it down to +40% and slowly recover to +50%. Six cities are very good for first wave of REXing.

On city placement: I will definately go for the 2xbanana + dye + jumbo city site where your warrior is now. Can't see clearly from the map, is there a way to settle further south to seal of a large piece of land together with 2xbanana city? Can back fill for seafood+iron city later. You don't need iron so early if you can build archer & jumbo.

I like the two banana's city as it is where the warrior is, I would settle the clam city 1 west of the archer, you said in the last post you didn't have any coastal cities yet, well get started then! ;) Banana city 1st, clam city 2nd (just don't tank your economy too much).

The barb city, I would just raze it and remove the possibilty of the AI nicking it.

1S of the archer can be a monster city -- 2 clams, sugar, bananas, ivory. Other alternatives seem ok, but are compromised by that mountain range.

If you're worried about Nanjing's iron, why don't you just destroy that barb city yourself? I can't see what size it is, but remember that it gets auto razed at 1 anyway if anyone captures it...

I will wait until you get up to where I lost before saying anything in terms of advice =P.

Also, I'm going to give this another go on epic speed, since apparently slower games speeds mean a LOT to warmongering.

Top Bottom