Rome Sweet Rome (Oct 23, 2008)

WOW! A Camel Trooper. Don`t have expected a unit like these.
Now there are coming really hard times for all those barbarian tribes surrounding the empire!!!
Thx 4 this pack. Great units!

Awesome as always, Sandris. A fantastic job!:goodjob::)

Geeze... I was so excited about the preview there that I closed and reopened the window four or five times and forgot to actually download it every time...

I must admit, I was a bit skeptical when I heard you were making MORE Roman units, but this just blows me away... GREAT JOB!

Fantastic, Sandris. Thank you! I love the camel trooper and the late units. They're beautiful. The only thing missing I'd hoped to see is a Mattiobarbuli (the Ioviani and Herculiani legions spoken of by Vegetius (Epitoma Rei Militari I.17) since it was the plumbatae/mattiobarbuli (little barbs of mars) that replaced the pilum. There's a nice picture of a plumbata here. He'd be a sort of late legionary, coming after the imperial legionary.
I'm just using his late javelineer guy as a Martiobarbuli.

When I saw you were doing romans I thought, I'm not that bothered - we have plenty of Romans anyway. Having seen them I've changed my mind. If they're this good we can never have enough. The early units could be used for other mediterranean civs too, though if you keep going we'll have specific units for every civ anyway. :)

As always, good work. Thank you.

EDIT - Oh, and how exactly do you turn out so many units so quickly??! Do you have access to some supercomputer?

It would be much more harder and longer, if I would use different animations for each new pack of units. :(

You know Sandris, each of your units is so immensely detailed that I don’t even notice that they use the same animations. They’re perfect. And the new animations for the legionaries, javelin attack followed by sword slash and stab is amazing. :)

Unit scale has been discussed in another thread. I've integrated all these wonderful units in my mod, and it appeared to me that they are a bit smaller than Firaxis ones:

What do you think ? Look at Firaxis' archer for example. Doesn't he look tall ?

It is annoying. But don't expect any changes any time soon. Kinda of a minor inconvenience like a woman nagging about you not opening up your feelings to her.

Unit scale has been discussed in another thread. I've integrated all these wonderful units in my mod, and it appeared to me that they are a bit smaller than Firaxis ones:

What do you think ? Look at Firaxis' archer for example. Doesn't he look tall ?

I don't see any glaring problems. Just glancing at the image you provided, none of the units stands out in relation to the others size-wise. The old velites used in RFRE is a monster compared to his comrades but there isn't enough variance here to jar my senses.

A vast amount of the units in my mod are from Sandris, aLthough there are plenty others.:D

[themanuneed] I think that the Firaxis archer looks a bit tall there because he's standing on a shield which makes it look like his feet start lower, if you see what I mean. The Firaxis units certainly aren't all the same height anyway. Look at the warrior - he looks shorter than most of the others. I don't think there are any particular height discrepancies between the different groups of units there, at any rate.

Hmm ... I`m a bit dissapointed... not by fact that my recent units are smaller than other Paperdoll-based units, but with the fact that somebody hadn`t told me about this earlier.

I`ve checked and realised that my previous units (for example, Russians, Spartans etc.) have the same size as Kinboat`s or Plotinus` units, they are the same as Firaxis` units and, actually, they are taller than my recently posted unit packs.

I didn`t play Civ3 for several months, that`s why I coudn`t compare my new units with the previous ones in order to prevent the "wrong scaling".

Now I should check all of my unit packs in order to find the mistake. I don`t exclude the possibility of re-scaling (re-making) all of my "wrong" packs, but it could take at least 2 weeks, maybe a month to do.

Honestly Sandris, I've never noticed it, and I've been putting your new units in a lot. If there's a scale difference, I woulndn't worry about it if I were you. You can make any adjustments you want to for future units, but the past units are completely fine in my view.

Top Bottom