1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Russia First Look [Peter]

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 5, 2016.

1. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

It looks like people here are divided between those who watched a lot of LP videos and those who didn't. First category is very impressed by both tile acquisition abilities :D

2. Abraxis

Abraxis Chieftain

I was just watching a gamespot interview and he mentioned there were meant to be 20 civs upon release. We have 19 including Aztec. Gorgo wouldn't make sense as a second leader is not a Civ. I have to think they have somehow cleverly hidden Persia from us this whole time...

3. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Peter's background is awesomely flavourful.

4. Magil

Magil Monarch

I've watched a lot of the videos. This is still the weakest Civ.

5. Denkt

Denkt Reader

No matter what victory condition you go for Russia is a strong choice:

Religious: You get the most important district as a UD, half price and no slot taken. You can very well be the first to found a religion and all you cities can quickly have a holy district up and running. If you pick the desert and thundra pathernon you should have a rather easy victory. Later on you can work thundra for extra faith if you need to.

Culture: Extra land is very nice because you can build more resorts and more national parks and faith is needed for national parks.

Science: Extra tiles should mean you have the optimal productive cities to finish the space program quicker then the other civs. Extra production could mean a quicker space program.

Domination: More land should give you better opportunities for attack.

So have I and I do not agree that this is a weak civ;)

6. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Exactly. Asking a question like "why do you get a boost for falling behind?" misses the point - you only need a boost if you've fallen behind. What Peter's ability allows you to do is focus on other things - don't forget that science and culture form two separate trees), and still not fall too far behind your neighbours. It also allows you to make the most of snowball science and culture civs like Arabia and Brazil.

The extra territory is huge. You're almost expanded to your second workable tile from the off. Very fitting for late game expansion and settling unexplored territory to grab resources.

Peter also looks very snazzy indeed.

Amrunril likes this.
  7. Babarigo

Babarigo Chieftain

Does somebody know if it's possible to build improvements and districts on tundra tiles ?

8. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Well the trade bonus is peter's ability.
    I think it's useful when you were focusing on religion/great persons early (with your UD) to keep close to your neighbours, with science and culture.

Also, Pedro will hate Peter.

9. MarcoFurio

MarcoFurio Chieftain

Actually Russia is one of my favorites for playing higher difficulties levels.
    I don't think I'll chose then for Prince or even King, but fom Emperor, Immortal or Deity Russia may be the best pick.

10. Lights

Lights Chieftain

Why wouldn't you when there's a pantheon that gives +1 faith for every adjacent tundra next to a holy site disctrict. And Russia UA turns Tundra into plains that give you faith.

11. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

If you start near tundra as Russia and keep expanding along the tundra line, you will gobble up large chunks of the map pretty quickly. Those parts will end up having a lot of worthwhile tiles as the game proceeds and strategic resources are exposed. The Lavra plus the initial additional tiles together mean every city can benefit from a Lavra and border expansion will continue even as cultural expansion slows. I think too many people denigrating the Russian traits are still thinking in terms of earlier versions of civ. This is a powerful civ for the player who knows how to capitalize on it, dominating the northern/southern tiers of the map.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  12. Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark Chieftain

I am really fascinated how so many people decided to ignore the fact that Russia's UI is probably the most important and also the earliest district in the game, which means that the ability to build it for half cost is amazing per se. Its unique ability just cannot be as strong as other UD's have, it is just a small (but definitely not worthless) bonus and its perfectly fine. Also, unique abilities need to be considered as a group and Russian UA seems pretty strong and is effective from turn 1. It seems to me that lot of you need some "wow" factor related to uniques, otherwise they are just "meh" for you.

As for the LUA, we need to wait for the exact numbers. It seams quite weak, but I'd say the intentionally don't say any specific numbers to leave them some room for balancing.

13. Magil

Magil Monarch

Surely you're not suggesting you'll found all of your cities in the Tundra?

14. homan1983

homan1983 Chieftain

It's one bloody tile stealth, one bloody tile for one city for a great person. Come on now, I want to hear you for once say this is frikkin terrible.

Krajzen and Magil like this.
  15. Denkt

Denkt Reader

I would like to know how the trade bonus work as there is a huge difference between getting a bonus if you lack a tech or civic or getting a bonus if you have less techs or civics.

You just need to settle in reach of thundra so you can build the holy district in thundra.

16. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Chieftain

Leaks confirmed. So a really strong and wide Russia. It'll clearly become one of my favorite civs to play as. :)

17. MACKA0ili

MACKA0ili Chieftain

So it looks like Russia is a pretty versatile civ this time around

Extra land grab will mean that playing wide with Russia is a given and that early game settler spam will be even better.

Lavra comes out as the earliest of the unique districts and will help defend against border expansion and religious victories.

Tundra tiles will allow a constant build up of faith for great people and an early pantheon which guarantees dance of the aurora for even more faith from lavras

Overall not the strongest civ we've seen especially with that underwhelming leader ability, but definitely able to ramp up with their territorial gains and eventual Cossack army. But, given how important the religious game is to the AI and the overall importance of having land for districts, I can see Russia being amazing for higher difficulties.

18. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

I must say Russia is growing on me once you work through all the bonuses and how they interact

19. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

I think having several cities with large Tundra zone is great idea for Russia.

They have their own requirements. You surely can build all districts, but not all improvements.

20. Denkt

Denkt Reader

If you look at the LP, getting tiles is not as obvious. I have seen prices reach near 200 gold mark and you do not seem to get many from culture.

So a free tile could be worth like 200 gold and that is just one benefit of the UD.