1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Russia First Look [Peter]

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 5, 2016.

1. SpaceCommunist

SpaceCommunist Chieftain

One thing I'm not seeing mentioned: is it just me, or does Peter seem about as robotic as a Disney world animatronic? Something seems a little off about the way he's animated.

Considering that the tile bonus is starting with 8 more than normal, that's pretty nice. Shoshone had about 6 or 7, right? I guess that's an improvement.

Still furious about the UI/UU/LA though.

2. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Chieftain

I'm pretty sure some of the scientists and engineers could be. They vary depending on their abilities. Likely some artists too.

3. Civbra

Civbra Chieftain

The extra tiles and Cossaks I love it but everything else, I don't know, it's kind meah

4. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

even better, you can early start to accumulate faith (+faith from tundra) to buy great persons! ;D I get it that the faith costs dont get the more expensive the more you used it?

5. wanglishi1

wanglishi1 Chieftain

Judge from civ v, the UA is very powerful, LUA helps you catch up with others earlier in high-difficulty game.
    UD is weak, its only value is it's an UD after all.

BTW, I haven't visited this forum for couple of days. Can anyone tell me what the 'Persia Leak' is all about? Many thanks:)

6. homan1983

homan1983 Chieftain

What a terrible and uninspired civ.

1 Extra tile per great person? And only to 1 city? How many great people do they think people will get? Frankly if it gave +1 tile to all cities it would still be pretty bad.

Ironically the only real bonus of their unique district is the generic ones (half price, doesn't use pop-limit, doesn't increase price).

Tundra are +1p +1faith? That's still terrible, unless they have rebalanced grassland-hill tiles then at BEST, it's just making it on-par (and that's assuming you want faith). That still lacks any food for growth, yields matter but yield type is also important.

I don't even know where to begin with:

I can imagine people would say: "but it's useful on deity", to which I'd reply: "that's terrible balance, you don't balance a civ around unfair advantages, and you certainly don't force deity players to play an even smaller subset of the game (as we know from civ5 deity meant pretty much ignoring the wonder feature of the game, the diplo feature of the game, the trade feature of the game).

It's uninspired and very situational. It's like a less thought-out version of Morocco from civ5.

Overall verdict: This is literally the only civ I have seen released that I think is downright terrible, not from just a balance perspective but also a design perspective.

P.s. how insulting to Russians, the first country to send people to space, the second nation to develop Nuclear technology (after the German scientists who developed it in the US), the country that still provides rockets for NASA missions, to make their unique trait some sort of "behind in tech" variant.

SpaceCommunist likes this.
  7. Sylmarr

Sylmarr Chieftain

I like Russia's abilities : more lands for free, make bad tiles a bit better and a unique district (even if the unique bonus is meh it is still a district at half cost and that do not count toward population). Cossak look s a bit disapointing (mostly because I'm bored of seeing this unique in every civ games) but powerfull enough.

On the other hand I really don't like the leader ability : the bonus seem weak and very dependent on the difficulty you're playing and you need to be behind. I mean a bonus for being bad ? come one Peter deserve better.

8. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Chieftain

Peter looks good, although once again his fashion sense seems to have declined since his last appearance.

Don't start placing bets on them coming up soon either. Incomplete stuff, ideas cut from the final game., are left in the game files all the time especially in this series. For instance in cIV, Gilgamesh and Sumer took two expansion packs after being in the base game files to show up again. Could be years. Or a month after release. Who knows.

There aren't going to completely change a civ in one week. And the biggest controversy' about the game, that's kind of a stretch in a game where Norway, Brazil, and Kongo are presented as some of the greatest civilizations of all time.

9. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

Lavra is great not only because it's half-price and not count towards district limit/cost. Russia could really focus on buying Great People with faith, which has synergy with Lavra, growing borders even more.
    LUA is generally meant for beelining. You get less eurekas, but compensate this by getting more science/culture from neighbors.

The only problem I see is the Tundra bias start. While Tundra is cool and Dance of Aurora has a lot of synergy, they still have not enough food.

10. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

UD's don't count toward district limit? Otherwise they're tied for Japan with half-priced holy sites. Greece probably gives some early religion competition too being able to triple (assuming one holy district) their GPPs with a mysticism beeline.

I didn't realize that UD's don't count toward the limit then. In this case there's virtually no reason not to build one in every city apart from space constraints.

11. upi00r

upi00r Chieftain

I think they record these First Looks much earlier than releasing dates.

12. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

So Russian tundra tiles get 1f/1p/1faith. This makes their base yield better than cities founded on plains. That's pretty competitive. A Russian tundra/forest/hill will be a 1f/3p/1faith tile without improvements.

Ranias and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  13. AntoineS

AntoineS Chieftain

Seriously, how bad is that Lavra?? 1 extra tile whenever you use a great person in a city with a Lavra? Is it for real? Is that the complete bonus?

So Russian cities get 9 extra tiles to start with and this is the UB bonus?

Besides that Mother Russia ability is great, Peter looks great, Cossacks are average and Peter's UA useless except if you play on deity

Truly disappointed by Russia overall, the UB kills everything and the LUA is too situational. It is the first civ that I feel is not complete... and I still can't believe that UB

14. Tinker

Tinker Chieftain

Don't underestimate how strong getting tiles for free is. Culture borders are much slower in Civ 6, you see people buying a lot of tiles all the time. I'm guessing the Lavra is actually pretty underestimated.

15. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

As Russia Every city should have a Holy Site
    Because UD
    -don't count against the pop limit
    -increase the cost of other districts
    -are 1/2 price

Ranias likes this.
  16. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

The bonus is for every GP spent in that city, not on the tile.

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Between the Tundra Faith and the early and cheap Lavra, you should have plenty of Faith to buy Great People with.

That and the land-grabbing are the true strengths of the civ.

18. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

gotta admit in the Russia first look video was the first time I saw a resource and went, you know what I am so harvesting you, goodbye Rice

19. fmm

fmm Chieftain

We don't have any official confirmation of how much science/culture is obtained from trade routes, do we?

20. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Chieftain

Did we ever find out what got nerfed? Maybe the Lavra had some flashier ability that was OP?

21. Magil

Magil Monarch

That demands the space and time to produce it, and works against city specialization. Surely not every city is going to have a good spot for a holy site. Just because it's half price doesn't mean it's always a good idea to build it.