1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Russia First Look [Peter]

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Tinker

Tinker Chieftain

One bloody tile seems to usually mean a 150-300 gold you don't spend, considering how far the borders spread to start with. For how plentiful GP are in Civ 6 that's pretty good.

Also, can we assume that it will spread the borders beyond workable range? If so, it's really good for grabbing those extra luxuries or strategic resources easily.

2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Russia's UA is definitely quite good IMO. The 8 tiles you get from founding a city is great! Honestly, the 1 tile per GP is the only thing that bugs me. Everything else is good enough.

3. Denkt

Denkt Reader

The extra 8 free tiles could be worth over 1000 gold and have many other advantages as well such as you could be working better tiles in the early game.

The UD free tiles could during a game mean several thousands of gold saved depending on how many great people you get.

4. Danzo_87

Danzo_87 Chieftain

you get 12 tiles with 2 normal cities, you get bloody 14 tiles with 1 Russian city, tell me that's not good

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  5. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

Which normally costs 100 Gold or more. It's free Mausoleum of Halicarnassus from Civ5 generally.

6. upi00r

upi00r Chieftain

'He' means who exactly?

7. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The UI is definitely good, although most of its goodness is the default "its a Unique District" factor (so its not very interesting, because the interesting part duplicates the UA)
    The UA is good...tiles +first pantheon and "Tundra is ok now"
    The UU seems bad, (although move after attack seems good..... but if regular light cavalry units don't have that what benefit do they have....unless all cavalry class units ignore ZOC)

The LU can be pretty good...depending on details
    is it "per tech/civic they have & you don't have"..ie benefit from beelining (good)
    OR
    total tech/civics more than you (no benefit from beelining=bad)

it also depends on the total amount... for the LU to be good I'd hope for a 1:1 1 science per tech and 1 culture per civic
    (although perhaps it is 1 science AND 1 culture for every 3 techs or civics combined)

8. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

No, in fact, in the video we only see instances where it yields:
    - 1 science and 1 culture
    - 1 science
    - No extra yields.

It will be funny if the extra yields are capped a 1 each. :D

9. juanpavo

juanpavo Chieftain

Yes, agree. And with the saved gold, you can do many other things

10. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

Russia comes over as a decent OCC civ.

11. SpaceCommunist

SpaceCommunist Chieftain

The large tile bonus from founding a city shouldn't completely eclipse the fact that they have the hands down worst uniques in the game (arguably Kongo has another poor unique in the form of their LA but Russia takes the cake for total badness). A good UA is no excuse for a horrible UI.

12. Midori

Midori Chieftain

This seems like a civ that will be strongest if you expand quickly in early game. Take all of the good tiles first, then take the tundra that nobody else wants, and you'll have an enormous empire.

Ranias likes this.
  13. Lights

Lights Chieftain

I find surpising the amount of people that was expecting science bonuses for Russia and not Faith based bonuses. That's delusional. They've never been a paragon of Science, only because Peter tried to westernize Russia doesn't mean it should be raining in science bonuses (and the Leader Unique Ability already takes care of that).

They've got bonuses to production, expansion and faith. I think that's the most accurate representation they could've done for Russia in a civ game.

14. Magil

Magil Monarch

Nah, Halicarnassus gave you gold that you could spend on anything you wanted. I can't watch the video now, but can you even control which tile is acquired, or does the game pick for you? Because if it's the latter... well, I don't trust the automatic tile acquisition one bit to along with my plans after playing Civ V for almost 1000 hours. I just know it's going to expand to some stupid, useless tile more than half the time.

15. homan1983

homan1983 Chieftain

Sometimes I despair at people's ability to see what's in front of them instead of reality. Some people in this thread and on this forum have their head so far in the sand it makes me sad.

No one tile that you can purchase for 50-100g THAT YOU NEED TO SPEND A GREAT PERSON FOR, is not good, its not neutral, its not even bad, it's terrible. Don't take my word for it, look at russians other UA, +8 free tiles when you found cities. Surely according to the people defending every design decision YET AGAIN, would be happy if it only gave +1 tile? Why is an ability you you much more often, 8 times as powerful? Available much earlier?

The trade route ability may only be useful if it always gives at least +1science +1cultre (it gives +1 of both in the LP vid). But then again this would be sad, since like their unique faith district, it would mean the actual bonus is not the designed bonus, but generic behind-the-hood advantages.

SpaceCommunist and Magil like this.
  16. Denkt

Denkt Reader

All tiles are valuable in civilization VI. District placement, improvement placement and so on.

You also get what the great person give you in addition to the tile and many great person have several charges and I guess each charge give a free tile.

17. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Chieftain

Russia is very strong Civ. Unique Districts are extremely strong and their UA is also extremely strong. Their UU is ok, at least its not as bad as some other UUs like U-Boat for example. In the big picture it doesnt matter that Peters LUA is total trash. It seems to be the worst in the game.

18. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Lots of GP have multiple charges. Great Artists will give you 3 tiles, some Great Engineers have 2 charges for 2 tiles. In the late game one tile can cost over 300 gold, a Great Artist saves 1000 gold, assuming those are tiles you'd otherwise buy.

I think he can end up being a very strong leader, and the special ability of the Lavra can prove very useful. Especially when farm adjacency bonuses kick in, you need a lot of tiles. Peter will save thousands of gold every game on tile purchases, which can be used to buy other stuff instead.

19. Magil

Magil Monarch

Not the point. The point is that if you want a tile RIGHT NOW, and it doesn't expand there, you're not saving anything.

20. Babarigo

Babarigo Chieftain

Good to know but pure tundra cities will struggle to grow if you can't build farms.

Doesn't it looks a little bit weak compared to all the tiles you can get with the UA ? Anyway I don't know if it's possible but it would be nice if you could chose the tile where the borders are going to expand when you use the GP.