• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Sad News: Gary Gygax has passed away

Kael

Deity
Though the gameplay of FfH was most inspired by Sid Meier, its hard to imagine that FfH would have even been possible without the dreams and ideas of Gary Gygax. His writing and those old hardbound AD&D books are some integrated into my love of gaming and my own thoughts its impossible for me to say where his ideas end and my ideas start.

He will be missed, very few bring as much joy and imagination into the world as he did. I will go out and kill a few orcs for him tonight.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/04/1750206&from=rss

Anyone want to play Dungeons and Dragons for the next quadrillion years?

Sad news indeed.

This is very sad news. Though everyone's time comes sooner or later, Gary Gygax will be one of the most sorely missed in the RPG world. Rather than mourn though, I choose to celebrate his contributions to us by carrying on the tradition of RPG gaming with friends and sharing all the good times and memories those can produce.

Indeed, a lot of the books I've read and the games I play owe their inspiration to Gary Gygax. It is sad to see him go, but he shall ever live in D&D and its legacy...

Thanks for posting this info, Kael. Although it was many years ago, I still have great memories of playing D&D. Amazing what the man gave birth to.

Those of us that have felt his influences have, at times, been labeled geeks and nerds, and we have all spent time defending our hobbies to family members and aquaintances, because we have spent hours of our youth 'wasted' in playgrounds of our imaginations with close friends of like minds.

Society says those hours would have been better spent in the pursuit of sex, drugs, and rock and roll (some of us made time for that, too), and, sadly, only a select few shall know the pleasure of a social activity that combines creative storytelling with acting and conversation to forge tales that are changed and owned in equal parts by all those that have participated.

None of those times would have come to pass without the work of Gary Gygax and those that helped him to create the keystone to roleplaying games, and all of us that share such happy memories owe him a dept of gratitude. His life was important, and he will be missed.

I still remember when D & D first came out. Traditional wargamers like me weren't supposed to play it. The people playing it were weird, supposedly.

After seeing it the highest rated game ever in Strategy and Tactics Magazine, I bought the first edition. For many of you, it may be impossible to understand how archaic the system was back then, coming off the back of a miniatures game called Chainmail.

Well, my 'wargame' club saw the game. I made my first D & D campaign in 1973, I think (sorry, it was so long ago!). By 1974, we were now effectively a role playing club. No matter how archaic the first edition rules were, it WAS D & D. It was an experience like no other. Instead of playing games against each other, the team played TOGETHER. The rules weren't great, but our imaginations were. I may never had the fun of my first two D & D campaigns, which between them lasted 12 years. My notes to my second campaign are over 800 pages long, I still keep them. I have over 100 maps.

D & D is now the 'mainstream' for fantasy; that is, in fantasy books now gnomes are 'good' since they were in D & D. We all know what golems are. We play HOMM and we see the monsters have powers as defined by D & D. In FfH, we have Barbatos the lich. Who would know what a lich is without D & D?

So, to Gary Gygax -- Many people have improved the system, modernized it, made it better organized, made it more realistic - but you were the man who invented it! How many people have given such happiness to so many people?

May you always make your saving throw in heaven,

Your great fan Breunor

Thanks for the opportunity to reflect on those experiences we owe to Gary. Rest in peace, Mr. Gygax.

Ha I remember Chainmail..
as a kid, I had a subscription to Dragon Magazine.

..and now I feel like I've lost an old friend.

very sad news indeed

A lot of people on this forum owe him big :(

Thanks for everything Gary

For those who want to know more about him, the wiki has already been updated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

Such sad news... His legacy will live on in the imagination's of people for generations to come. I wouldn't know so many of my friends if it weren't for him. :(

That was a nice little OoTS tribute.

Top Bottom