Save scummers beware!

Jomackson

Chieftain
This might already be a known issue, but the game across all civ 4 installations hate it if you quick load and save, in case you want a better result to an outcome. This likely do to the file integrity becoming unstable. I know some of you would shun this, because rl this or xcom that, but for those who struggle too, DON'T save scum!

edit: too many ands in one place

Ummm...how about regular save/restore? I've never used quick save.

Quicksave/Quickload has always worked fine for me. And I ah, "test" it quite liberally, since this game is extremely complex and time consuming to the point I'm still not comfortable playing without using it. I think the game has only ever crashed once, and since I have autosave set to every turn, it's hardly an issue. Much worse is if the computer itself loses power or restarts, then it will wipe out all the custom settings in the .ini file and load all the defaults, which can lead to some....interesting occurrences when you load up a save that had all graphical settings turned down with all of them turned on again. I had units flying around, running out of the ocean back into their positions, etc. Crazy stuff.

BTS on Win 7 for informationals.

When I used to save scum, I would save, quit to menu and load the save from there. It would load so much faster and never crash. When I would try to save/load one right after the other in-game, it would take so much longer to load even early in the game and sometimes would crash. Even today, in the rare instance where I save scum, I quit to menu to load the save.

That would sort of defeat the purpose of a quick save, I would imagine.

Not at all. Shift F5, menu, quit, load quicksave and system loads game in 3 seconds. When I would save scum in game, it would take almost a minute to load in the mid game. Perhaps it's my impatience but saving 40 seconds was worth it.

Maybe you meant quickload though...in which case, yes, it does defeat the purpose... But still faster lol

I don't know, then. I don't find the need to reload that much; sometimes I feel I would save more time just by looking at things more carefully.

Though I guess it's nice to branch out and see if something would have worked.

Yeah I don't save scum much anymore. Learned to stop with EU4 ironman which totally blocks you from doing it without using Task Manager to kill the game's process... that really makes it feel like cheating haha

Ironman is probably a bit too hardcore for me. Misclicks do happen. Like that time I thought Sitting Bull didn't have an army so I accidentally declared war. Total misclick. :mischief:

Lol yeah but real misclicks are a little different. I dont mind Task Manager process kill (or save scum in Civ) for an actual misclick that will cause real problems. Pretty rare, though, especially since I adopted absolutezero's UI techniques in Civ4. I never right click to move military units in Civ4 anymore!

Top Bottom