Screenshot analysis!

So, do both scout and crossbow upgrade to ranger?

Also, did someone check if infantry is a melee unit or has a ranged attack? :p

Well I see a few possibilities

1. Crossbow->Ranger (merging with scout)
2. Crossbow->Field cannon(merging with Bombard)
3. Crossbow->Field cannon for separate line from siege
4. Crossbow->Infantry (merging with Muskets if all gun units have +1 range)
5. Crossbow->AT/AA support unit
6. Crossbow does not upgrade

My personal preference would be 3 ... then 2, because 2 range is drastically different from 1 range.

4-6 I see as very unlikely, and I hope that Infantry are actual Melee units.

1 is a possibility, but I'd prefer that they kept 2 range units upgrading to 2 or 2+ range units

That reminds me, in the dev livestream yesterday I noticed that Iron gives 1 science!

Jade gives Culture as well.

Really like this change, reminds me of Vox Populi among other things they have borrowed. :lol: Hope Gazebo's on the Frankenstein Team. :lol:

Yes, but my impression was that it was a reconnaissance unit and might use similar promotions (ignores terrain cost for hills, etc). It's possible this is not the case, however, as the tooltip seen here does not suggest this, so my assumption may well have been in error. 3 move is fairly significant, but not as much as if it also had access to scout-line promotions.
I wonder if itll upgrade to machine guns in the atomic era? Or sniperw

I presume that the "Stepwell" must be a civilization unique improvement.

Marble apparently gives culture (not listed in well of souls, so I guess it is new).
Yeah, we haven't really had any information on luxury resource tile yields. It's tricky to try to infer them from tooltips, because there are so many possible modifiers from unknown unique abilities, tech effects, civic effects, and policy card effects.

Have we seen the tool tip for the "steam power" tech? If not, here it is:

We have, but the tooltips are changing from build to build. The previous version didn't mention embarked movement bonus.

And... is it just me, or is it a bit odd that the guys doing a (presumably popular) YouTube channel called "Civilization" seem to know literally nothing about Civ VI?

Does this mean Garde Imperiale does not require Niter? Do the tooltips tell you that? If so it seems that Musketmen are the only units that require Niter (as apparently ranger does not either, and Redcoat unlocks at Military Science as well so presumably would be analogous to Garde Imperiale).

Spoiler :

Does this mean Garde Imperiale does not require Niter? Do the tooltips tell you that? If so it seems that Musketmen are the only units that require Niter (as apparently ranger does not either, and Redcoat unlocks at Military Science as well so presumably would be analogous to Garde Imperiale).

Bombard might....

Hopefully it enables a food/production boost building/effect for later in the game

Huh. It would be interesting if the infantry line became ranged. It would make historical sense, after all rifles can certainly fire further than crossbows! But it would certainly affect balance!

EDIT: Also, from what I've seen of the Promotion so far, it doesn't appear that units switching from melee to ranged or vise versa will have any wasted promotions. I don't recall seeing any mention of melee or ranged attacks in any of them.

Clearly this moron has no clue what he's talking about, because the Volley promotion is a ranged bonus. What a total noob! :rolleyes:

And... is it just me, or is it a bit odd that the guys doing a (presumably popular) YouTube channel called "Civilization" seem to know literally nothing about Civ VI?

The Yogscast plays a lot of games not-Civ, their Civ series just became so popular they decided to branch it off into its own channel (with other strategy games). Frankly I'm not all that surprised they don't devote a lot of time following all the new information released about VI.

The Civ fanatics forum tends to have somewhat unrealistic expectations in that regard. These guys aren't fanatics :p

I presume that the "Stepwell" must be a civilization unique improvement.

Possibly for India?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepwell

Perhaps it will replace the Aqueduct and provide amenity bonuses/bonus populataion growth? Essentially the 'Population Growth' ability from V in a new form.

EDIT: Ooops - hadn't seen that someone had provided the wikipedia link already.

The Yogscast plays a lot of games not-Civ, their Civ series just became so popular they decided to branch it off into its own channel (with other strategy games). Frankly I'm not all that surprised they don't devote a lot of time following all the new information released about VI.

The Civ fanatics forum tends to have somewhat unrealistic expectations in that regard. These guys aren't fanatics :p

No kidding. Some people need to relax and call off the dogs. Lol.

Huh. It would be interesting if the infantry line became ranged. It would make historical sense, after all rifles can certainly fire further than crossbows! But it would certainly affect balance!

I've thought this before too. Would be weird if all units from gunpowder on had firing range of 2, making all combat ranged. I think what you could do without making it too weird, is have all ranged units have only 1 range, and if a ranged unit attacks another ranged unit, then it is treated like melee combat, with each hurting the other. This would allow ranged units to still be differentiated from melee units early in the game while having gunpowder units count as ranged and eventually having combat return to normal melee-style mechanics.

Hmm...

Seems like the tech tree doesn't tell you if units require resources. So maybe Garde Imperiale/Redcoats do take Niter. Also I don't know how we know that Ranger does not require Niter.

There's a lot missing from the tooltips, so I don't think we can treat absences as positive confirmation of anything. They're also changing quite frequently.

So what you're saying is that they're too busy getting paid to play games to be able to research the games they preview? Sounds like a rough life.

Seriously though, popular professional YouTubers make quite a lot of money, and like it or not, they are the immediate future of games journalism. It would be nice if someday they started acting like professionals instead of kids making buckets of money for free. If Marbozir can do it, so can these guys.

No kidding. Some people need to relax and call off the dogs. Lol.
I really don't "need" to do any such thing. The lack of will to hold YouTubers to any kind of professional standards is part of the reason why the current state of gaming journalism is such crap.

I've thought this before too. Would be weird if all units from gunpowder on had firing range of 2, making all combat ranged. I think what you could do without making it too weird, is have all ranged units have only 1 range, and if a ranged unit attacks another ranged unit, then it is treated like melee combat, with each hurting the other. This would allow ranged units to still be differentiated from melee units early in the game while having gunpowder units count as ranged and eventually having combat return to normal melee-style mechanics.

I like this idea a lot. Range units with 2 range like archers\horse archers are too hard to balance.

So what you're saying is that they're too busy getting paid to play games to be able to research the games they preview? Sounds like a rough life.

Seriously though, popular professional YouTubers make quite a lot of money, and like it or not, they are the immediate future of games journalism. It would be nice if someday they started acting like professionals instead of kids making buckets of money for free. If Marbozir can do it, so can these guys.

I really don't "need" to do any such thing. The lack of will to hold YouTubers to any kind of professional standards is part of the reason why the current state of gaming journalism is such crap.

This only really works if you assume they are game journalists. They are not. They're friends who play video games and record YouTube videos about it. The only standard they need to live up to is the one that entertains their viewers such that they can keep running their channel.

This only really works if you assume they are game journalists. They are not. They're friends who play video games and record YouTube videos about it. The only standard they need to live up to is the one that entertains their viewers such that they can keep running their channel.
Agreed, and as it happens, I find their videos much more entertaining than some of the more researched Civ5 diety players, but that's just my personal opinion.

I have heard that it take alot of work to be a youtuber and Im not sure all of them have that fun either, it may look so but in reality it may be something different.

Yes watching people play civilization V on diety is pretty boring, I rather enjoy people that actually play the game creatively instead of people that try to maximimize efficiency by using monotone, calculated strategies which you know exactly how they play out.

Top Bottom