1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot analysis!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Camikaze, May 11, 2016.

1. Cephme

Cephme Chieftain

I found I almost always got Destroyers before subs. Maybe it was just the tree I selected. Are you saying it is the easiest to rush? Also the Eureka for subs requires 3 privateers (which I am guessing upgrade to subs now instead of destroyers which is cool and gives them a more unique feel than they did in civ V vs frigates), which we are thinking requires mercantilism, a civ not a tech, so requires a completely different branch. I think the cross over eurekas are going to be harder to groc and get when figuring the fastest path to a tech.

FYI Subs (1885) were deployed before destroyers (1892) as we know them so honestly subs coming first is probably right.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine#20th_century_submarines (see Nordenfelt I)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroyer#Development_of_the_modern_destroyer (see Daring Class)

2. Rob Airdrie

Rob Airdrie Chieftain

How about Russia? The unique encampment could be Kremlin.

3. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

That would be perfect! :goodjob:

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The Castra could be a Roman Encampment or the Forum could be a Roman Commercial Hub.

5. Cephme

Cephme Chieftain

I am pretty sure it just goes to Bombard since the boost for metal casting (bombard's tech) is to have to 2 crossbowmen. Catapult may be a dead end (since in civ 5 walls had no effect on gun power units) or go to bombard (more likely...... dead end units suck.... cough civ V scout cough)

6. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Or Swordsmen don't require resources either. It was speculated only Knights need it.

Several possibilities...

7. fmm

fmm Warlord

No... Swordsmen definitely require Iron:

The red text here indicates they don't have the requisite Iron to build the Swordsmen (or Horses to build the Horsemen, which so far seem to be the only unit to require Horses).

8. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

Swordman require 2 Iron.
    1 if you have Encampment district

same for Horseman

9. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

That's a strange design decision? :confused:

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Horseman requires Horses, not Iron, but it does seem to be the case that resource-bound units require double resources if they are not built in a city with an Encampment.

Thus far in the playthroughs strategic resources have been quite rare.

11. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

In Gamescom build it looks like we have much more Iron.

12. Metecury

Metecury Prince

nah, actually it makes it important to have encampments to get more powerful units. In civ 5 you could forgo building military buildings and still spam all units even if you went for a peaceful game. Now you got to be really careful with the districts you build, if you play a pacific game without focusing on the military now you are actually going to be at a serious disadvantage against militaristic players/civs also considering that now military activity leads to eurekas for military techs.

13. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

It still doesn't make much sense from a logical pov. for me. Why does the unit consume less iron/horses, because there is an encampment in the town? I can see that it's a push to force the player to build the encampment, it just seems very contrived.

14. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Because it's indicative your military being better equipped and better supplied. Just like the experience boost is indicative of your military being better trained. One of the buildings is even called an armory.

I don't think a nation without that sort of military infrastructure would have the same efficiency at war as a nation without one and the resource bit feels in line with that completely.

15. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

they bring weared equipment to the camp where its recycled ;)

16. King William I

King William I Prince

Consider this: an encampment is like a professional smith and thus can create better armor and weapons with less material.

17. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Iirc upgrading doesn't require 2 copies of the resource.

18. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

Norway's UU is Viking Longship!

Spoiler :

...and you could build Barbarian Galley -_-
    or maybe that means Barbarian can now attack you with Galley.

19. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I think both City States and Barbarians have "tech trees" of their own that are unlocked (I believe that Archers spawn in Civ 5 when majority of civs have unlocked the tech for it)

So if majority of Civs have Sailing, then Barbarian Galleys spawn.

I also wouldn't assume that we get "Vikings", I am fairly certain that the unit is simply the Viking Longship.

20. eMeM

eMeM Chieftain

Nice catch!
    I don't think seeing barbarian units in the tech tree is any stranger than seeing Norwegian UU there while playing as Germany ;)