Screenshot analysis!

It irritated me in Civ V that the Submarine was the first available modern naval unit. Looks like more of the same in Civ VI.

I found I almost always got Destroyers before subs. Maybe it was just the tree I selected. Are you saying it is the easiest to rush? Also the Eureka for subs requires 3 privateers (which I am guessing upgrade to subs now instead of destroyers which is cool and gives them a more unique feel than they did in civ V vs frigates), which we are thinking requires mercantilism, a civ not a tech, so requires a completely different branch. I think the cross over eurekas are going to be harder to groc and get when figuring the fastest path to a tech.

FYI Subs (1885) were deployed before destroyers (1892) as we know them so honestly subs coming first is probably right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine#20th_century_submarines (see Nordenfelt I)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroyer#Development_of_the_modern_destroyer (see Daring Class)

The Castra could be a Roman Encampment or the Forum could be a Roman Commercial Hub.

Well I see a few possibilities

1. Crossbow->Ranger (merging with scout)
2. Crossbow->Field cannon(merging with Bombard)
3. Crossbow->Field cannon for separate line from siege
4. Crossbow->Infantry (merging with Muskets if all gun units have +1 range)
5. Crossbow->AT/AA support unit
6. Crossbow does not upgrade

My personal preference would be 3 ... then 2, because 2 range is drastically different from 1 range.

4-6 I see as very unlikely, and I hope that Infantry are actual Melee units.

1 is a possibility, but I'd prefer that they kept 2 range units upgrading to 2 or 2+ range units

I am pretty sure it just goes to Bombard since the boost for metal casting (bombard's tech) is to have to 2 crossbowmen. Catapult may be a dead end (since in civ 5 walls had no effect on gun power units) or go to bombard (more likely...... dead end units suck.... cough civ V scout cough)

Hmm...

Seems like the tech tree doesn't tell you if units require resources. So maybe Garde Imperiale/Redcoats do take Niter. Also I don't know how we know that Ranger does not require Niter.

Or Swordsmen don't require resources either. It was speculated only Knights need it.

Several possibilities...

Or Swordsmen don't require resources either. It was speculated only Knights need it.

Several possibilities...

No... Swordsmen definitely require Iron:

The red text here indicates they don't have the requisite Iron to build the Swordsmen (or Horses to build the Horsemen, which so far seem to be the only unit to require Horses).

Thus far in the playthroughs strategic resources have been quite rare.

In Gamescom build it looks like we have much more Iron.

That's a strange design decision? :confused:

nah, actually it makes it important to have encampments to get more powerful units. In civ 5 you could forgo building military buildings and still spam all units even if you went for a peaceful game. Now you got to be really careful with the districts you build, if you play a pacific game without focusing on the military now you are actually going to be at a serious disadvantage against militaristic players/civs also considering that now military activity leads to eurekas for military techs.

nah, actually it makes it important to have encampments to get more powerful units. In civ 5 you could forgo building military buildings and still spam all units even if you went for a peaceful game. Now you got to be really careful with the districts you build, if you play a pacific game without focusing on the military now you are actually going to be at a serious disadvantage against militaristic players/civs also considering that now military activity leads to eurekas for military techs.
It still doesn't make much sense from a logical pov. for me. Why does the unit consume less iron/horses, because there is an encampment in the town? I can see that it's a push to force the player to build the encampment, it just seems very contrived.

Because it's indicative your military being better equipped and better supplied. Just like the experience boost is indicative of your military being better trained. One of the buildings is even called an armory.

I don't think a nation without that sort of military infrastructure would have the same efficiency at war as a nation without one and the resource bit feels in line with that completely.

It still doesn't make much sense from a logical pov. for me. Why does the unit consume less iron/horses, because there is an encampment in the town? I can see that it's a push to force the player to build the encampment, it just seems very contrived.

they bring weared equipment to the camp where its recycled ;)

Consider this: an encampment is like a professional smith and thus can create better armor and weapons with less material.

Norway's UU is Viking Longship!

Spoiler :

...and you could build Barbarian Galley -_-
or maybe that means Barbarian can now attack you with Galley.

I think both City States and Barbarians have "tech trees" of their own that are unlocked (I believe that Archers spawn in Civ 5 when majority of civs have unlocked the tech for it)

So if majority of Civs have Sailing, then Barbarian Galleys spawn.

I also wouldn't assume that we get "Vikings", I am fairly certain that the unit is simply the Viking Longship.

Norway's UU is Viking Longship!

Spoiler :

...and you could build Barbarian Galley -_-
or maybe that means Barbarian can now attack you with Galley.
Nice catch!
I don't think seeing barbarian units in the tech tree is any stranger than seeing Norwegian UU there while playing as Germany ;)

Top Bottom