1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot analysis!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Camikaze, May 11, 2016.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

He's probably back-forming a verb from the adjective "warmonger" which is in the same style as fishmonger and other related titles for salespeople.

2. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Also, I'm not native speaker, but isn't the word "mong" is offensive if used to mark Mongols and Mongoloids in general?

3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

The only term there that isn't offensive is "Mongol"...

I wasn't sure if you guys were joking or not, but there's absolutely nothing of relevance in that Tweet :lol:

4. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

Some of you are really grasping at straws. He was making a joke on the word "warmonger", pretending that it derived from an imagined verb "to mong", and that a "warmonger" would be defined as "one who or that which mongs war". It's not a hint about Mongols.

5. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Isn't that what people are supposed to do... Grasp at straws. Make everything out of nothing.

That's what the internet was made for, right?

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

6. m15a

m15a Emperor

Uhh..in case any of you missed it, he posted this shortly after: "attn cfc: sometimes a tweet is just a tweet".

But I'm sure he's just adding another layer of deception to the super secret Ottoman/Mongol DLC ARG puzzle.

7. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Maybe he's trying to put the rumors back in his "Perse"! :groucho:

(I'll let myself out.)

8. eMeM

eMeM Chieftain

Yeah, I read it as a "This is a Flammenwerfer. It werfs Flammen"-type of joke.

9. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Hmong Civ confirmed. :D

Spoiler :

10. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

No. Think about it. What else do you mong? Cheese of course. It's gonna be the Dutch.

PS also iron, fish and hate. So maybe Hittites, Indonesia and... uh...

11. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

Israel?

12. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

The most logical explanation is - "mong" just means "mongrel" and we'll have Cynocephallic people of Indica announced as a civ.

13. dturtle1

dturtle1 Prince

Yeah same, Was Marathon different in Civ4. I used to play only Marathon in Civ4 but i cant handle it in Civ5(Games take a month :(), maybe it has something to do with 1upt-Micro. I did play Marathon for my Mongols Warmonger game on a small map. That was over before 1AD though :)

Epic feels pretty good though. Normal is just too quick for me now, especially if want some combat. I hate building an army only for it to be obsolete by the time you engage :(

14. Magil

Magil Monarch

It's generally a common observation that V is a slower game than previous titles in the series in most respects, because of 1UPT. If units were produced at the same speed in V as they were in past games, the map would fill up very quickly. And yes, it is slower to move those units.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

16. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

That seems really good. Seems to prefer a balanced tech strategy too (as opposed to beelining) because you don't really want rewarded a "cheap" tech.

17. Magil

Magil Monarch

Certainly interesting, because you'd be tempted to put it off to get higher-value techs, but the +20% science is more useful the sooner it is built. And as world wonder, there's always competition to consider. Will be valuable as its the first example of "free techs" we've seen (rather than free Eurekas), as well as one of a very limited number of %-based research boosts (only other one I remember off the top of my head is +yields from excess amenities).

18. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Why don't they change the name? :cry:

By definition it's not Oxford University if it's built in Mainz, and Oxford isn't even that good a university.

19. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

same reason they don't change the name of C.Itza

Also, Oxford University will not be in the city of mainz (or New York or Kyoto) it will be on a tile... that tile will be the "town/minor city/suburb of Oxford"..which was totally unimportant until a University was built there.

(now why a outlying city of Tenochitlan would be called Oxford...well same reason they call their wondorous holy site stonehenge.

20. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Because basically every university in the world is named after where it's located, or someone who founded it, and so in trying to represent one specific one as a wonder, you're always going to run into that problem :lol:.

Also "not that good a university"? It's consistently pretty high up in the rankings, and as the oldest university in the English-speaking world, it was the model for all the other ones that currently beat it (MIT, Cambridge, Harvard, Imperial, etc.) In terms of Wonder status, as someone who grew up in Oxfordshire, I can assure you it still draws plenty of tourists to this day.

They could've picked similarly historic ones like Bologna and the Sorbonne, or gone outside Europe like Civ IV's University of Sankoré, or the Al Quaraouiyine madrassa in Fes (strictly the oldest, but didn't become officially a University until the 1960s). But Oxford is a decent enough choice.