Screenshot analysis!

A legionary standing in a fort is pretty much unkillable, it will have like 50 strength and it can even attack from the fort while still keeping the fortification bonus so the enemy can basically not counterattack it. This mean a few legionaries in forts can block a whole army.

This is another great point, I didn't even realize it. So like I said, it seems really powerful.

The fort is called Roman fort so it may have special rules such as you can build it in enemy territory and its bonuses only applies to Rome.

It would be extramly potent if you could do so.

Ranged units can take alot of advantage by the fort rule. They can fire and still get the fortification bonuses which make them about as strong as a melee unit of the same age.

Also this is pretty nice: I Garrison: +10 combat bonus when occupying a district or fort.

+4 seems lame considering that a swordsman has something like 35 in CS if I'm not mistaken - so this is roughly a 10 % bonus. You might have a point about the instant fortification bonus being valuable, I never really looked into the specifics on how the Civ5 version worked, but the text says +50 % combat strength for defending unit which to me seems a whole lot better than +4 flat bonus even if you don't get to fortify on the fist turn (couldn't you do that if you had a road, or did it take a full turn to fortify?).

In Civ 6

+4 to a 1 Strength unit (Strength 1 ->Srt 5)
is the same boost as
+4 to a 100 Str Unit (Str 100->Str 104)

Is it possible its called a Roman Fort just so you know who gets the defensive bonuses from it when its in neutral territory? If a French Military Engineer built a Fort, would it build a "French Fort"?

That may be true but if that is the case you can maybe build fort inside enemy territory. It would be pretty cool if you could surround a city with forts while you siege it.

You guys have been locked in the prison for last month or what? How could you possibly not know known details about battle calculations in Civ6 :D

As far as we know there are only +X bonuses in Civ6, and battle outcome depends on difference between units strengths, not ratio. I.e. 40 vs 30 equals 80 vs 70, not 80 vs 60. So fort is equally valuable in the late game and +4 should make a difference.

Ah, my bad :) Either way, I still like the constant buff instead of a %-modifier.

You guys have been locked in the prison for last month or what? How could you possibly not know known details about battle calculations in Civ6 :D

As far as we know there are only +X bonuses in Civ6, and battle outcome depends on difference between units strengths, not ratio. I.e. 40 vs 30 equals 80 vs 70, not 80 vs 60. So fort is equally valuable in the late game and +4 should make a difference.
You called me out on the prison there. :p

I was not aware of the new combat system, no - so, how much of a difference does +4 amount to?

You called me out on the prison there. :p

I was not aware of the new combat system, no - so, how much of a difference does +4 amount to?

We're not exactly sure, ~30 seems to be the one-shot level (we're not sure if there is a difference between ranged and melee or exactly how wounding works)

The fort is called Roman fort so it may have special rules such as you can build it in enemy territory and its bonuses only applies to Rome.

It comes earlier(at the swordsman instead of military engineering) than the regular fort so it may just be denoting this.

To me it looks like fort gives 2 bonuses:
+4 for occupying unit.
fortification bonus for occupying unit even if it's not fortified (+6 in the last gameplay video)

This looks quite strong, being +10 total.

The graphic certainly looks the same as the regular fort, for what that's worth.

Yes. A missed opportunity, IMHO.

Modders should be able to make something different, however. :)

@Arioch

Here's India's badge (from First Look: Rome)

Also, here's an updated China to match their new colour-scheme (from Devs Show Off Religion)

Top Bottom