Screenshot analysis!

Very good stuff, then. :)

You can take cities with an early rush but once they get walls up you'll need a more sophisticated military to take them.

IGN's own high-res high-quality version of the video is finally up. Huzzah.

Here's something I hadn't noticed before: when the Builder unit is on the Rice tile, there's what appears to be a "harvest" icon. It looks as though you have the option to perform the equivalent of a "chop forest" action on food resources.

The icon also appears when the Builder is on the Stone resource, but it's grayed out.

IGN's own high-res high-quality version of the video is finally up. Huzzah.

Here's something I hadn't noticed before: when the Builder unit is on the Rice tile, there's what appears to be a "harvest" icon. It looks as though you have the option to perform the equivalent of a "chop forest" action on food resources.

Very interesting. I assume it provides a lump sum of food and then you can use the tile for a District or Wonder if you want. Perhaps other resources can be removed in that way.

Great find! Thanks. That makes so much sense too.

Can someone, in regards to city, show us a city being attacked? I oddly remember seeing two bars. It's possible one of them is in fact for walls.

No, it didn't. Sorry. I guess I jumped the gun. I don't think the gameplay video showed a walled city being attacked. But it is possible that there are 2 bars since walls have to be defeated now. It would make sense.

Try one of the China's cities.

(or, I could just look but lazy)

You are correct. walled cities have 2 health bars.

So then I speculate that you will need siege units or melee units with battering ram support in order to reduce the wall hp to zero before you can begin to reduce the city/encampment hp.

Furthermore, we have seen Ancient Walls. There must be more advanced forms of walls with more hp or defensive strength.

So then I speculate that you will need siege units or melee units with battering ram support in order to reduce the wall hp to zero before you can begin to reduce the city/encampment hp.

Yes, I think that would be a safe speculation. I think it makes city walls a lot more useful. No longer will a bunch of ranged units be able to take down a walled city, you will need to really lay siege to it. It also means that if an enemy does not have catapults or battery rams, you won't have to worry about losing a walled city although you would have to worry them pillaging all your districts. Civ6 combat is going to be very interesting!

Nice. I guess that also means that once walls go to 0 HP, they are destroyed and have to be rebuild.

Nice. I guess that also means that once walls go to 0 HP, they are destroyed and have to be rebuild.

which would fit with the 'building destroying' nature of civ6 warfare.

Must say, warfare got a hella lot better.

I am quite excited for this, not just for making war mongering more interesting, but playing defensively against a larger civ trying to hold out for reinforcements from far flung cities.

Has there been any units firing two hexes or more?

I don't have time now to check the video, but I think crossbowen and artillery attack a unit next to them. Don't remember about the battleship.

Maybe no more archers shooting over the English channel?

Has there been any units firing two hexes or more?

I don't have time now to check the video, but I think crossbowen and artillery attack a unit next to them. Don't remember about the battleship.

Maybe no more archers shooting over the English channel?
I hope they only give cities 1 range to attack with (until the modern era with advanced artillery at least). It'd be like boiling oil and stuff like that, instead of the murderous death missiles that took down an entire full health unit with 1-2 shots in Civ V (especially with that godawful pantheon that the AI liked to pick for their civs!). :crazyeye:

I hope they only give cities 1 range to attack with (until the modern era with advanced artillery at least). It'd be like boiling oil and stuff like that, instead of the murderous death missiles that took down an entire full health unit with 1-2 shots in Civ V (especially with that godawful pantheon that the AI liked to pick for their civs!). :crazyeye:

Well I would guess there will be more defensive buildings besides ancient walls.

I could see...

All Industrial units can damage Walls without a Battering Ram

Industrial era defense building that gives range 2 attack, and requires a special unit before it can be attacked

Then another defense building in the Atomic Era giving the city 3 or 4 range + some AA capacity in that range

Which also translates into the City losing its Ranged Attack, which is awesome.

I wonder if Bombers get bonuses against City Defenses. If so then I see end game Warfare being a LOT of fun and very strategic.

Top Bottom