Scripted City Handover in Scenario

Patine

Deity
I've been thinking of how to tackle this idea, but maybe others you've already wet their feet with Lua might have some advice. Although this is a matter of two specific instances in my Pacific Rim scenario, there is probably bountiful use out there for such a mechanic, especially in strategic, long-term, large-scale scenarios. in scope. The two instances specifically in question here are the pre-arranged handover of Hong Kong in 1997 and Macau in 1999 to China. Since the scenario begins in 1990 and ends in 2020, both will happen mid-scenario. However, I WOULDN'T see it logically occurring if, for whatever reason in the course of the game, the Chinese and NATO/ANZUS were in a state of war at the time. Plus, barring a state of war, I would want it to end up occurring regardless of whether the Chinese and/or NATO/ANZUS players were both human, both AI, or one of each. Does anyone have any suggestions of the best way to approach this idea?

Lua can handle this. @Grishnach and @McMonkey have implemented this feature in the Philip of Macedon scenario we are developing. You have numerous options for how to trigger the take over and can make the circumstance quite complex, or totally optional from the player's perspective. It may be a good use of the dialogue boxes lua allows for. I think I made a video about this awhile back in the Philip thread.

Definitely possible. You can have the city be "captured" automatically via event, or simply change the owner when certain conditions are met. You may have to move any units stationed in the city.

Lua can handle this. @Grishnach and @McMonkey have implemented this feature in the Philip of Macedon scenario we are developing. You have numerous options for how to trigger the take over and can make the circumstance quite complex, or totally optional from the player's perspective. It may be a good use of the dialogue boxes lua allows for. I think I made a video about this awhile back in the Philip thread.
Definitely possible. You can have the city be "captured" automatically via event, or simply change the owner when certain conditions are met. You may have to move any units stationed in the city.
Thanks! I'll have a definite look into this!

Aha!
I'm interested! I've always wanted CIV2 to be able to offer cities as a trade-able commodity.

One of the things I'd like to explore/see another designer explore would be how dialogue boxes could be utilized in a multiplayer scenario for players to "talk" to each other. For example, you would think it would be possible for the United States player to initiate some action (possibly a key press with a "diplomat" unit) that would call up a dialogue box for the US player to choose "offer to buy Louisiana from France" or "Offer to buy Canada from England" etc. This would then initiate a state (flag) that would then allow the French or British player to call up their own dialogue box with options of what to sell it for. This would set another state that would let the US player accept or decline.

It would be an interesting way to conduct diplomacy in multiplayer games and "might" work (with one trigger or another) with the AI too.

Top Bottom