Second Leaders: Which Civs Need Them?

Don't know that much about Philippe Augustus, but the few i read makes it would be a good choice, even if my preference is for Francis I. Louis XIV is good one to take low risk.
I like Francis I as well, but the problem is that CdM was his daughter-in-law. :p

The problem is the idiotic design of the civ as it stands at present. At present, there is no Sumer in game; there is "Gilgabro and Enkidu at Uruk." :wallbash: The Sumerians don't just need an alternate leader; they need an entire redesign. (But yeah, Gudea and Ur-Nammu, in that order, would be my preferred choices for Sumer.)

Oh yeah I forgot about that non-sense...

Still I had a question would you say the Kushans count as Scythian, Indian or better placed in their own category since I did suggest that scythia should have an alternate leader before

Still I had a question would you say the Kushans count as Scythian, Indian or better placed in their own category since I did suggest that scythia should have an alternate leader before
As far as I know, the Kushans were, in their day regarded as foreigners and invaders by the people in the Indian subcontinent (who themselves did not have a true sense of national, ethnic, linguistic, religious, etc. unity until the Indian Independence Movement during the British Raj). However, I don't know if they were specifically "Scythian." There's a LOT of confusion over who was who among the peoples who spanned from Antiquity to the early Modern across a vast geographical lumped together, for these purposes and their nomadic, pastoral, cavalry tendencies, ONLY, as the Eurasian Steppe Nomads, which include (not exhaustively) the Scythians, Sarmatians, Cimmerians, Alans, Avars, Huns, Hephalamites, Kushans, Bulagars, Magayrs, Khazars, Tatars, Kazakhs, Mongols, Cumans, Kipchiks, Jin/Manchus, Dzungars, Tuva, Altayans, and, though not their own ethnicity and nation with their own separate language, in some lists, also Cossacks.

edit

The Kushans spoke Bactrian, an Iranian language, but I don't think that makes them Scythians, either. A quick glance at its Wikipedia page suggests a closer relationship with Sogdian and Khwarezmian than Scythian. (I'd still love to see Sogdiana as a civ.)

The Kushans spoke Bactrian, an Iranian language, but I don't think that makes them Scythians, either. A quick glance at its Wikipedia page suggests a closer relationship with Sogdian and Khwarezmian than Scythian. (I'd still love to see Sogdiana as a civ.)

The Kushans were Yuezhi/Tocharian but brought Bactrians and Sogdians with them, as they had incorporated them into their empire. Their empire was rife with cultural and religious syncretism.

Might actually be a really interesting civ. Definitely a group we've never seen before. Kanishka would have to be the leader.

The Kushans were Yuezhi/Tocharian but brought Bactrians and Sogdians with them, as they had incorporated them into their empire. Their empire was rife with cultural and religious syncretism.

Might actually be a really interesting civ. Definitely a group we've never seen before. Kanishka would have to be the leader.
Are you sure about that? My understanding is that the Tocharians have never been successfully identified with any specific political or ethnic group. We don't have any record of what they called themselves or their language, and the name Tocharian from Greek Tokharoi was a misidentification. Even their association with the Tarim Basin mummies is speculative (though the evidence is pretty favorable: right place, right time period, and the Tarim mummies were clearly Caucasoid).

And of course, everybody is infatuated with the 3 Kingdoms period (it's even getting it's own Total War game) so there's Cao Cao the warlord. A very different playstyle from Qin.

No, please, keep them to the Japanese video games. I have seen them enough, MORE THAN ENOUGH.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? My understanding is that the Tocharians have never been successfully identified with any specific political or ethnic group. We don't have any record of what they called themselves or their language, and the name Tocharian from Greek Tokharoi was a misidentification. Even their association with the Tarim Basin mummies is speculative (though the evidence is pretty favorable: right place, right time period, and the Tarim mummies were clearly Caucasoid).

Well, the Kushans were definitely Yuezhi.

Whether the Yuezhi were Tocharians is technically still up for debate, but it's the predominant opinion at the moment.

The shoe fits, anyway.

Well, the Kushans were definitely Yuezhi.

Whether the Yuezhi were Tocharians is technically still up for debate, but it's the predominant opinion at the moment.

The shoe fits, anyway.

Sorry I re-read the wiki article and it said they they displaced the scythians I had missremembered

Would still be an interesting addition

I like Francis I as well, but the problem is that CdM was his daughter-in-law. :p
But weren't all the royals of Christian Europe interrelated by blood or marriage (or both) from the 15th Century until the end of the World Wars? They weren't all as infamous for it as the Royal House of Habsburg, however, whose remaining members, stripped of all royal title and dignities since 1918, have apparently been investing large amounts of their ancestral fortune into genetic engineering research of late, no less. :p

But weren't all the royals of Christian Europe interrelated by blood or marriage (or both) from the 15th Century until the end of the World Wars? They weren't all as infamous for it as the Royal House of Habsburg, however, whose remaining members, stripped of all royal title and dignities since 1918, have apparently been investing large amounts of their ancestral fortune into genetic engineering research of late, no less. :p
No, no, I'm not objecting to the fact that they're related (by marriage). I'm objecting to the fact that they were nearly contemporaries. We can at least put a century or two between the alternate French ruler and CdM. :p

No, no, I'm not objecting to the fact that they're related (by marriage). I'm objecting to the fact that they were nearly contemporaries. We can at least put a century or two between the alternate French ruler and CdM. :p
That doesn't disturb me that much, far less than getting a Napoleon again. :D

That doesn't disturb me that much, far less than getting a Napoleon again. :D
Honestly, I'll take Joan of Arc before welcoming Napoleon Boringparte back. :p Besides, France already has one Italian leading it. :p

Honestly, I'll take Joan of Arc before welcoming Napoleon Boringparte back. :p Besides, France already has one Italian leading it. :p
So being military genius and conquering half of Europe is boring? Well, I've learned something new today :p

But I think we can all agree that the Sun King would be a safe choice for alternate French leader. He could bring Versailles with him :p

So being military genius and conquering half of Europe is boring? Well, I've learned something new today :p
Frankly, yes, military geniuses are boring. :p But Napoleon is worn out. He's appeared more than enough times. Plus after CdM, France should have a more...well, French leader. Like Louis XIV, Philippe Augustus, etc.

The only Napoleon I would have liked to have seen was Louis Napoleon, but not after CdM.

But I think we can all agree that the Sun King would be a safe choice for alternate French leader. He could bring Versailles with him :p
Let's not go too far. Napoleon does beat her, but not by much. He at least led France. Let her stay as a relic producing general. :p

Let's not go too far. Napoleon does beat her, but not by much. He at least led France. Let her stay as a relic producing general. :p
I definitely don't want her back--I'm just bored of Napoleon. :p Honestly, if I were at Firaxis and told that for whatever strange reason France must have a female leader, I would've chosen Eleanor of Aquitaine. :p

Napoleon can sit Civ6 out and come back for Civ7/8.
I would like Louis XIV to get a voiced appearance, not necessarily as an alt leader for France in Civ6, but in a future game.

Joan of Arc, I won't accept as French leader. I feel bad for her, she was like 16 when she got burned to death, but I don't think she qualifies as a French Civ leader.

Top Bottom