September Patch Notes Discussion

Something changed in the trade route interface. It seems that 'repeat route' is no longer the default choice, I now have to remember where it went again... If I guess correctly - it will show me the 'repeat route' button though :D

I really like Veterancy now. Faster build time on Encampments, Harbors and their buildings helps with both defense and infrastructure.

Sadly I do miss getting double charges from Great Admirals. Being able to get two charges out of a GA meant one could get two free units out of a GA instead of one, which was pretty useful. The GA changes are still nice though.

I am getting INSANE flanking bonuses right now. 4 ships gave my Redcoat over 30. Is this the new Great Admiral bonus doing something crazy, or is it a mod issue? I only use two mods: increased world wonders and no Sweden needed for Nobel Prize.

Is anyone else having a problem with AI not building city walls? I'm on emporer difficulty, and around the Renaissance. Only 2 out of 7 enemy AI had built any walls in my game.

I'm on my first game back since the patch, and am using a handful of mods, all aesthetic though.

Is anyone else having a problem with AI not building city walls? I'm on emporer difficulty, and around the Renaissance. Only 2 out of 7 enemy AI had built any walls in my game.

I'm on my first game back since the patch, and am using a handful of mods, all aesthetic though.
Normally playing on deity and the civs build walld in mosz cities. At what turn are ye attacking?

I've finally been able to play a full game since the update, and I have to say I'm underwhelmed. Playing on a Continents map script on King just to get a feel for the new changes and while seeing a ton of land units (good) and lots of settling (also good), there hasn't been a single war in almost 300 turns outside of a couple CS being taken. Most disturbing was the utter lack of any naval ships at all. Granted the naval game was always lackluster, but I've never seen the AI build literally zero naval units. Only Barbs + CS seemed to build them. I don't use any of the AI mods and I didn't have any of my mods enabled that would have any effect on this. It's very strange.

I've finally been able to play a full game since the update, and I have to say I'm underwhelmed. Playing on a Continents map script on King just to get a feel for the new changes and while seeing a ton of land units (good) and lots of settling (also good), there hasn't been a single war in almost 300 turns outside of a couple CS being taken. Most disturbing was the utter lack of any naval ships at all. Granted the naval game was always lackluster, but I've never seen the AI build literally zero naval units. Only Barbs + CS seemed to build them. I don't use any of the AI mods and I didn't have any of my mods enabled that would have any effect on this. It's very strange.

A case apart? Move up a difficulty? I'm in the middle of my second game, deity, continents+islands, standard, no mods whatsoever. There's plenty of inter-AI action, AI is also spreading all right, and my dear neighbour Genghis just betrayed my friendship and is invading as we speak with 5 cavalry armies, 1 musket corps and 1 bombard corps through 1 tile opening in the natural mountain range border, where I intended to build a blocking encampment, but couldn't have enough population in time because an unfortunate haboob blew away a quarter of my pop in that city. His vassal CS's ships are bombarding my island colony in the meanwhile. Me happy, so far :)

there hasn't been a single war

Not in my game (same difficulty setting). Genghis is raising up a ruckus putting the hurt on the Cree and the Kongo. I went after him after he took one of my city states (I'm Pericles), problem is I'm way outmatched. My Hoplites stand no chance against his coursers. I admit to a minor little reload. I had no idea his coursers were that strong (I forgot to look at his modifier, but it's probably +6). I'm not sure how to deal with him, currently teching pikeman, but I'm not sure that's enough (my swordsman are pretty much worthless against him). Genghis used to be a pushover and no threat to anyone. Good to see him conquering like he should.

anyone notice turn times are a little slower? My only complaint. Seems to happen right before the start of my turn.

Last edited:
When you could double Nelson with the mausoleum it was worse.
The thing about sea flanking is you can have 2 military units in the same tile which counts as 2 flanking units.

Dang. Shows how often I use ships...

Nubia only built walls in their capital (their only walls) after I had sieged and taken all but two of their cities, with muskets and bombards. This is on deity, and was my third war against Nubia. So yeah, the AI is still failing to build walls at the proper time, just like in the last 2 patches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Emperor here. Recently Australia wiped out the Netherlands, then got declared by Ghengis. Mali and Cleo are at each others throat... Several CS are gone... Enlarge your sample numbers I would say...

I just had a game where Hungary was sandwiched between Cree and Kongo. Each of them took 1 city from Hungary. On the other side of the continent, an Incan city got wiped by rampaging barbarian horses.

My Redcoat just received +38 flanking bonus from a single Cavalry. Mods I use are True Noble Prize (no Sweden needed for Nobel Prize) and some mod which increases natural wonders.

I encountered that as well. Made for a very easy Zulu game.

I encountered that as well. Made for a very easy Zulu game.

I've also noticed this in my post-patch game and in the streams that I've watched since the patch. The AI just isn't building walls until it's much too late.

Additionally, the AI seems to be settling a lot of bad cities that have no water and then not building aqueducts. I think that whatever is causing them to do this is also affecting the city location recommendations when you click on a Settler. This was better before.

Same on the walls. Just played a game on immortal and was able to take out the two nearest neighbors in the classical era with no walls built. Previously they seemed to prioritize them higher, especially when being attacked.

Top Bottom