September Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the mask and skull, from Reddit by an employee:

”Those are just items left by the gnomes that live in our studio. WHO KNOWS WHAT THOSE ODDLY OUT OF PLACE ITEMS COULD MEAN?!"

I'm struggling to connect gnomes to Venice or skulls. Argh! THE ENTIRELY FICTIONAL SCENARIO INSIDE MY BRAIN IS COLLAPSING

It's obviously a reference to Gnomeo and_Juliet, an animated movie based off of Romeo and Juliet. The setting (of the play) was in Italy and written by Shakespeare in the Renaissance. He also wrote Hamlet. It all links together. :mischief:

Love the new maps, particularly primordial and terra.

I still think harbors should be split up into separate districts, commercial harbors and naval shipyards.

In facts, after seeing the changes to things like the Veterancy policy, it makes even more sense.

Oh, as a coastal man, there's a lot to enjoy here. :-D A pretty good overall buff for all coastal civs, and some nice opportunities to be sought out. I already love the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, and now it will definitely be my favorite wonder. Reef adjacency for Campus is a great change, which will add some competitive Campus locations by the coast. I originally thought it was +6 per reef, but as was pointed out, that was probably a faulty tooltip in the video. :) It's still pretty good, though.

I will definitely be doing some coastal games once the patch drops. I look forward to playing Norway, Carthage or Indonesia and fully embrace the naval path.

EDIT: Updated according to more probable value of reef adjacency.

Last edited:
sorry for the tone,

im a civ4 dude for 15 years or so, i really want to love civ6 :

but -
squeeze the lemon more.

add more content, invest more man hours and developing more eye candies all on the costs of really improving the awful AI.
instead of releasing the DLL and let the community burst and flourish.

i bought all the civs up to 5, only after the the DLL was release and when fans started to pop amazing modifications.
will not buy 6 until firaxis wont here the modders call.

fact is,
modding makes a game a thousand times better and in my opinion, encourages even more value for money and raises sales.

civ6 is the only civ that after 2 expantions, dlc's that has a "MIXED" review on steam,
at least firaxis did an near perfect result with the xcoms (hopefully a 3rd is in the making)

cheers.

I'm struggling to connect gnomes to Venice or skulls. Argh! THE ENTIRELY FICTIONAL SCENARIO INSIDE MY BRAIN IS COLLAPSING

It's the new MP game mode, "Invasion of the Venetian Zombie Gnomes." Having read the necrognomeicon Enrico Dandolo now has at his disposal an army of undead gnomes which he sets against your civilizations. How long can you and your allies survive their onslaught?

- Ed! Did you see it? The annoucement?
- Yes.
- Bastards! We had an agreement! They were supposed to remain in space/fantasy 4X market!
- Indeed... They entered our turf.
- What are we going to do?
- For starters, we need to speed up the progress on September Update. I will contact Team Delta and their secret project, and intelligence deparment. We need to release third expansion before our newfound rivals arrive.
- And what are we going to do next?
- Well, we'll see who stands the test of time better, humankind or civilization.

Almost....from the description I'm guessing the GA's no longer get an extra charge.

Love the change to Veterancy.
NOOOOOOO
sorry for the tone,

im a civ4 dude for 15 years or so, i really want to love civ6 :

but -
squeeze the lemon more.

add more content, invest more man hours and developing more eye candies all on the costs of really improving the awful AI.
instead of releasing the DLL and let the community burst and flourish.

i bought all the civs up to 5, only after the the DLL was release and when fans started to pop amazing modifications.
will not buy 6 until firaxis wont here the modders call.

fact is,
modding makes a game a thousand times better and in my opinion, encourages even more value for money and raises sales.

civ6 is the only civ that after 2 expantions, dlc's that has a "MIXED" review on steam,
at least firaxis did an near perfect result with the xcoms (hopefully a 3rd is in the making)

cheers.

Xcoms pod stuff is horrible and hopefully changes with the next release.

Civ doesnt have mixed reviews because of ai. Visuals are way more importan for reviews.

But lets keep it on the update and not derail this thread.

Hope this patch drops thuraday really wanna go naval and explore a new continent untouched by all the other civs.

Still not a single word for modding.
I'm suspecting more and more that this is due to imperatives from Take-Two. The common trend in AAA PC gaming the past 10-15 years, has been away from modding communities and towards multiplayer, especially competitive multiplayer. Hosting custom content doesn't make money, hosting e-sport tournaments does

Very happy with what I'm seeing here. The coastal city buffs were much needed, I love the look of the new maps, and I love the improvements to⁠—well, improvements. I like how a lot of them are based in scaling the improvements through tech unlocks; one big complaint I have with Civ VI is how I feel that a lot of the techs in the game sort of don't really do a lot (looking at you, Astronomy). A major reason why this problem exists is due to the splitting of the tech & civic tree (I change I think is overall super beneficial to the game), and requires a lot of the unlocks to be split between more checkpoints. But just giving more techs a simple +1 production or something to a certain improvement makes the game's progression much more exciting. I'd still like to see a lot of the game's techs that don't offer much (such as Printing, Astronomy, Mathematics, Buttress) to give more unlocks to make them more worthwhile teching.

I'm a bit surprised to not see any Civ-specific balance changes in this announcement. I hope there will be at least some Civ buffs in the full patch notes, because Civs like the Khmer, England, France, Mapuche, Georgia, Egypt, and Spain could still use some love. (Also, this is totally off-topic, but does it bug anyone else that Arabia doesn't have a desert start-bias? I mean, the Civ is probably stronger without it, but I want my immersion dammit!)

My biggest problem still standing with Civ VI is that I still think the unit tree is whack. I don't like how there's no unit between Swordsmen & Musketmen, and Musketmen & Infantry. The same goes for Catapults & Bombards lacking Trebuchets and some sort of industrial artillery. I don't like how useless anti-cavalry units feel because Melee units just decimate them; it's a bit of a problem that cavalry units' best counter is cavalry units themselves. And the naval unit progression is just an absolute disaster. This is one area of the game that Civ V just did so much better than VI, which is a shame, considering how great the changes to the promotion tree and combat itself are. Adding more units, of course, means spending more money on upgrades, but slightly reducing upgrade costs will help offset their increased rate of upgrading.

I also dislike how barren the actual city center itself feels. It just seems like the city center gives you only a few buildings in the ancient era, then walls, sewers in the Industrial Era, maybe Flood Barriers, and absolutely nothing else. I'd like to see the return of buildings like the Caravansary, Courthouse, the Police Station, Windmill, Hospital, Recycling Center (heck, even the Spaceship Factory as an extra building in the Spaceport to make that district more interesting, though that's off my original topic). Just anything to make that district feel less barren, because while I adore districts as a concept, they make the actual city itself feel irrelevant.

I don't expect any of those changes I just mentioned to be seriously addressed in the next patch, but hey, I know they've somewhat teased another expansion coming up, so maybe then they'll make those additions. I think a few minor problems hold Civ VI from fully realizing it's potential from being the clear best game in the series, and while the devs have gone on to fix a lot of those problems in the past few patches, I think fixing the unit tree is the biggest one, while making the city center feel less barren and making techs more interesting are a second & distant third priority.

... but they all produce tourism

I'd like to take this time to remind people I have no idea how words work.

Sorry, what I meant is, I meant in regards to PROMOTIONS, so things like the gold/loyalty stuff from concerts, but there's also promotions that increase output from speicfic districts.

Hoping for a Highlands Map. Don't understand their obsession over the tilted axis map. The new Continents and Islands map will be my first go to, however. Nice!

Mask... Venice hype? Venice hype!

(And can we get the Byzantine Empire while we're at it? So I can sack Constantinople while playing as the Blind Doge again :p)

I don't know if they unchained Prometheus or what but in 2019 firaxis has been on a roll with these patch videos.

Integrated worldbuilder HYYYYPPPEEE (and floodable floodplains!!! :love:)

I like the change to Mausoleum a lot.
I've always felt that a core component of "one more turn" play is what behavioral economists would call anticipatory utility, which is the benefit or 'happiness' you derive from believing something will happen in the future.
Thus, with Sea Petra, players can now look at an entirely new piece of the map (coasts) and plan out a glorious city. People just love that stuff.

However, I really wish they would dedicate the Mausoleum more completely to the sea, and drop the engineer part. It is too unbalancing. It's one thing to get an extra "+300:c5production: to a wonder" charge. It's another entirely to get a second charge on James Watt or Korolev or Von Braun. Or use civ5's inspiration and give a little yield every time you use a great person.

Terra map looks great - I wonder how it'll workout being full of city states instead of generally empty.

I cannot wait to see any potential unit or civ tweaks they make.
If they announce new civ packs they can just take my money now.

I’m excited for the new map types, especially the Splintered Fractal map.

I just love, “. . . and mystery”

Another coastal player here, happy to see them buffed.

Excited for the new maps especially Terra.

I also thought of Venice when I saw the mask.
Could also be a hint for the new multiplayer mode though.

Like the sound of the continents and islands map. Also splintered fractal sounds intriguing. Hope they add some more map achievements

More unnecessary sandbox eye candy. They can forget about selling an expansion well if they cannot get the anemic AI to make use of the litany of features they continue to add. It's been too many years and no modding tools. Modding is probably the only thing that is going to eventually save this game. You look at Skyrim and the sheer amount of longevity it has due to the insane amount of modding and you can only hope Firaxis would follow suit. Unfortunately, these days AAA game studios are showing outright jealously, envy, and scorn towards modding. Even Bethesda is becoming more hostile towards modding than they were in the past. These companies want to control the image and the amount of perceived shame they have when some young person comes up with something awesome they could not create with their game. I bet Bethesda had several closed door meetings when trying to figure out if they should sue the kids or send C&D letters to the recent fan made expansion packs for Fallout and Skyrim. Firaxis is probably too corporate and sanitized now to be this open anymore, just like with other companies these days. I would not be surprised at all, if they never release that .dll and the source and come up with some lame excuse, if they even bother to answer the question at all.

I'm happy to see some buffs to coastal cities. I think the great admiral buffs is especially nice.

I still can't help but wish that coastal cities would feel... different somehow. Fisheries feel weird to me, especially in how they are locked behind a governor promotion, and how you need to move her around to make use of them. And as an improvement they are just supremely... unexciting. I think I still would want sea resources to feel more powerful somehow. If I plant down a mine on a source of Iron, I'm pretty excited about that fact. Planting down fishing boats on sea resources, or fisheries, is not exciting to me. The Seasteads feel powerful but of course come very late. Kampungs are awesome and a good example of how it makes coastal cities feel a bit fun and special but yeah, obviously unique to Indonesia.

And I also do miss the little bit of extra micromanagement from Civ V where you actually built a trading ship instead of a caravan, and you really felt how powerful they were. It made the coastal cities feel a bit more special, even though I guess the actual mechanics of getting more gold via the sea routes is similar. But the act of building that special unit gives some extra oomph to that feeling I think.

I mean, this update will definitely make the coastal cities be more desirable overall, and ships can be very powerful of course (and in turn you obviously open yourself for naval attacks as well). But I still can't help but wish there was something more going on in the infrastructure of them. The resources and bounty of the sea still feel quite bland to me. The fisheries are just insanely boring even when buffed with housing.

But this is whining a bit, I'm happy to see the changes and definitely think it improves the game.

Summary of the 3-September video:
Balance Updates
  • Updated Districts
    • Campus
      • +2 for each adjacent Reef (video says +6 but there are 3 adjacent reefs)
  • Updated Buildings
    • Lighthouse
      • +2 Housing if Harbor is adjacent to City Center
    • Fishery
      • +0.5 Housing
    • Shipyard
      • +1 Production to all unimproved coastal tiles in the City
  • Updated Improvements
    • Camp
      • +2 Gold (was +1)
      • +2 Gold w/Synthetic Materials (was +1)
    • Fishing Boats
      • +1 Production w/Colonialism
    • Plantation
      • +1 Food w/Feudalism
  • Updated Wonders
    • Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
      • +1 Science, +1 Faith, +1 Culture on all coast tiles
      • +1 charge for Great Engineers
  • Updated Great Admirals
    • Themistocles (Classical Era)
      • Instantly creates a Quadrireme Unit
      • +20 Production towards Ranged Naval Units
    • Leif Erikson (Medieval Era)
      • +1 Sight Range for all Naval Units
      • All Naval Units can enter Ocean tiles
    • Rajendra Chola (Medieval Era)
      • +3 CS for all Naval Units
    • Zheng He (Medieval Era)
      • +1 Trader Unit
      • +1 Trade Route Capacity
      • +2 Gold to both Cities from Foreign Trade Routes
    • Frances Drake (Renaissance Era)
      • Instantly creates a Privateer Unit w/1 promotion
      • +50% rewards from plundering sea trade routes w/Military Units
    • Ferdinand Magellan (Renaissance Era)
      • +1 free copy of a luxury resource (on single coast/sea tile) to your capital
      • +300 Gold (Standard Speed)
    • Ching Shih (Industrial Era)
      • +500 Gold (Standard Speed)
      • +60% Rewards for plundering Sea Trade Routes w/Military Units
    • Chester Nimitz (Atomic Era)
      • Instantly creates a Submarine Unit w/1 promotion
      • +1 Oil per turn
      • +20% Production towards Naval Raiders
    • Horatio Nelson (Atomic Era)
      • Builds a Lighthouse and Shipyard in Harbor (new)
      • +50% Flanking Bonus to all Naval Units (existing)
    • Grace Hopper (Atomic Era)
      • Unlocks 2 random techs
  • Updated Rock Band Promotions
    • Indie Band
      • Performing a concert causes city to lose 40 Loyalty (was 50)
    • Album Cover Art
      • Performs as if 1 level more experienced on Wonder Tiles (was 2 levels)
    • Music Festival
      • Allows Rock Bands to perform on Natural Wonders (as well as National Parks)
    • Pop Star
      • Earn Gold = 25% of Tourism generated (was 50%)
    • Space Rock
      • Perform at Spaceports (existing) and Campus (new) for
        +500 Tourism or +1000 if Campus has a University
  • Surf Band
    • Perform at Seaside Resorts (existing) and Harbors (new) for
      +500 Tourism or +1000 if Harbor has a Shipyard
  • Government Updates
    • Corporate Libertarianism
      • 3 Military Slots (was 2) 3/1/1/5
    • Synthetic Technocracy
      • 3 Economic Slots (was 2) 1/3/1/5
    • Digital Democracy
      • 3 Diplomatic Slots (was 2) 1/1/3/5
    • Veterancy
      • +30% Production toward Encampment (existing), Harbor (new) and their buildings
New Maps (6)
  • Terra Map
    • A distant continent populated by City States, Barbarians, and "mystery"
  • Primordial Map
    • A chaotic mixture of the game's most extreme terrain types
      • Set your disaster meter on 4 and let us know if you make it out alive
  • Mirror Map
    • Randomly generated world where 4 map quadrants are mirrored for balanced multiplayer starts
    • 2 spawn options:
      • Standard - start at different locations in respective quadrants
      • Mirroreed - start at the same spot in respective quadrants
  • Tilted Axis Map
    • Poles are East/West and center of map?
  • Splintered Fractal Map
    • Fractal Continents instead of Fractal Pangea?
  • Continents & Islands Map
Game Setup changes
  • New map selection UI
  • Single Player Jersey Support
    • Choice of 4 jersey colors for each civ?
  • Mods, Hall of Fame and Credits moved under Additional Content
  • World Builder on main menu
World Builder Updates
  • Normalized order of tool hotkeys and added them to tooltips
  • Hand drawn Rivers can have floodplains added to them
  • Different Continents now have different colors when in continent mode
Platforms
  • Rise & Fall now available on iOS
  • Gathering Storm on iOS by end of year
  • Rise & Fall and Gathering Storm on Switch by end of year
More features yet to be announced for this update:
  • "Exciting New Multiplayer Game Mode" (no details yet)
  • More "soon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom