SGFN-08: Random AWM Succession Game

I will go to turn 13 to get us even, and the next player can take it home. I think that this can almost be won either way, getting a little bigger artilllery stack and more Infantry can make this a fast win. Alternately, rushing some coastal libraries will probably put us over the top.

Done. The settlers have settled, and most of the rest needs taken to win this. I've spent lots on upgrades, so not much in the kitty. I left most stuff unmoved. Here is the turnlog:
Spoiler :

Pre-Flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Open the save, look things over.
Do some MM'ing. Rush a couple harbors on our east coast to get some galleons to open a new front.
Raise tech slider to 50% to get Electricity in 2 turns...I want RP! Rush some settlers.

Civilian units:
Workers 57
Slaves 61
Settlers 11
Explorer 1

Military units:
Warriors 7
Spears 20
Horsemen 7
Longbows 17
Trebuchets 25
Cannons 8
Armies 10, 1 Spear(4), 1 Horse(4), 2 mixed(4), 1 Longbow(4),3 Cavalry(1, 3, 4), 2 Empty
Muskets 18
Cavalry 29
Crusaders 8
Caravels 5
Frigates 3
Galleons 9
Privateer 1

Unit Support:
Total Units: 236
Allowed Units: 272
Support Cost: 0 gpt

Enemies:
Dutch=>Eliminated
Vikings=>Eliminated
Greeks=>Eliminated
Persians=>Eliminated
Russians=>Strong compared to
Babylon=>Strong compared to
Aztecs=>Strong compared to

Hit Enter=>

IBT: Uncommon sight, Russians land a credible group near Tyre, 2 Muskets and 2 Longbows.
Many builds fnish, nothing of note.

Turn 1, 1340 AD Artillery ineffective, Cavalry Army smashes Muskets. No leaders from killing Longbows.
Defended by 2 rRifles, Ixtapaluca is easily taken by Zetien-Husaren army.
Defended by an rSpear and an rWarrior, Sippar falls easily to 2 Cavalry.
Defended by 2 fiesty rPikes, it takes 3 cavalry to take Zariqum.
Worker moves. Build some towns.

IBT: Russians decide to land 2 muskets, a Mace, and a Longbow beside Ixtapaluca. Suddenly that island has a swarm of Russian boats nearby. Otherwise, very little enemy movement.
I will only note important builds.

Turn 2, 1345 AD: Kill the Russian landing party.
Begin reducing defensive troops at Aarhus, should make a fine place to reinforce from.
Cavalry army takes out 2 pikes there.
Set up to take Magadan. Worker moves. Build some towns.

IBT: Ouch, enemy has Privateers and grab a Galleon of ours.
Russians decide to land a Cossack and 3 Maces beside Ixtapaluca.
Babylonians land 2 Knights and a Longbow at Zariqum.

Turn 3, 1350 AD: Magadans 3 rRifles hold off 4 Cavalry.
Defended by an rPike, vSpear and vBowman, Aarhus taken by 4 Cavalry.
Crap! Lose a 4 Cavalry army with 17 hp to a vRifle at Tlalmanco.
Kill the Russian landing party.Worker moves. Build some towns.

IBT: The enemies strike back hard, lose a lot of units to Cavalry and Knights and get a 5 Cavalries, 3 ACs and a Longbow landed by Sippar.

Turn 4, 1355 AD: Take out the Cavalry with armies, but they are both yellowed.
Next ibt may be very rough, we need those Infantry.Worker moves. Build some towns.

IBT: Lose wounded army to an AC, Other barely survives. We need to get pillaging again.

Turn 5, 1360 AD: I don't remember what I did here. Obviously, nothing Important

IBT: Russians land 2 settlers guarded by an MI and a Musket in the Tundra near Murmansk(now THAT is an appropriately named town). Russians land near Tyre again.

Turn 6, 1365 AD: Kill 2 ACs and a Longbow with Cavalry, retake Sippar. Smash the Russian landing. Also, kill the Musket guarding the settlers. Worker moves. Build some towns.

IBT: Not bad, only lose 1 Cavalry to an Aztec.

Turn 7, 1370 AD: Attack the Mace guarding the Settler, get a Leader Richtofen, this will replace 1 lost army.
Worker moves. Build some towns. We are now at 51% land, 55% population..

IBT: The town of Zariqum is in serious trouble, Cossack, Knights menace. Aztec Frigate sinks Galleon nearby. Replaceable Parts researched, slider turned to zero, Industrialization now in 15 turns.

Turn 8, 1375 AD: Begin railing with a vengeance. Worker moves. Build some towns.
We are now at 52% land. 56% population.

IBT: Russians want to talk...no! Zariqum surrounded, it looks bad for that town.

Turn 9, 1380 AD: Decide to let them have it for now, we can take it back with Artillery and defend it with Infantry soon. Land a new pillager army in Rusia.
Worker moves. Build some towns. We are now at 53% land. 57% population.

IBT: Aztecs grab Zariqum, but leave our troops alone, attention shifts to Aarhus, which is well-defended.

Turn 10, 1385 AD: Begin pillaging Russia, with 1 army and 3 loose cavalry, this should be very effective.
Worker moves. Build some towns. We are now at 54% land. 58% population.

IBT: Russians land a Cossack near Tyre and on Island of Death. Aztecs make a beeline for Aarhus.
Privateer sinks a Galleon.

Turn 11, 1390 AD: Kill as many enemies as I can reach. Upgrade several Cannon and Muskets.
Worker moves. Build some towns. We are now at 55% land. 58% population.

IBT: Russians land 4 Cossacks near Tyre.

Turn 12, 1395 AD: Worker moves. Build some towns. We are now at 55% land. 59% population.

IBT: Russians land a Cossack on Island of Death.

Turn 13, 1400 AD: Stop here with most units unmoved. Next player gets the finish with some conquering. Farewell to a fun game.

Civilian units:
Workers 99
Slaves 71
Settlers 5
Explorers 2

Military units:
Warriors 7
Spears 21
Infantry 5
Horsemen 7
Longbows 17
Trebuchets 23
Artillery 11
Armies 9, 1 Spear(4), 1 Horse(4), 2 mixed(4), 1 Longbow(4), 2 Cavalry(1, 3, 4), 2 Empty
Muskets 14
Cavalry 27
Crusaders 7
Caravels 5
Frigates 5
Galleons 13
Privateers 7

Unit Support:
Total Units: 279
Allowed Units: 336
Support Cost: 0 gpt

Enemies:
Dutch=>Eliminated
Vikings=>Eliminated
Greeks=>Eliminated
Persians=>Eliminated
Russians=>Strong compared to
Babylon=>Strong compared to
Aztecs=>Strong compared to

Sliders10/0/0, Industrialization in 10 turns at 359 gpt, 20 in the bank.

The save:

Excellent job on the settling front! CivAssist sees only 11 unclaimed tiles left. (I guess part of the credit here also goes to DWetzel, whose reorganization and completion of a rail backbone certainly helped a lot)

115 tiles to go to reach 66% territory. For some reason CivAssist claims we are already at 68% population (not 59% as you said on turn 12)?! :confused: So either the F8 screen is wrong, or CivAssist. But either way, we can join tons of workers to our towns if necessary.

The game will be over in less then 10 turns, so Industrialization will be too late anyway. Let's switch all scientists to taxmen. There are a couple of libraries and settlers, which can be rushed next turn to gain us another 25 tiles. Then a concentrated attack on the 5 northern towns north of Cempoala and 5 more libs will push us over the limit.
How tough is the resistance up there?
(I guess, now the 40 tiles from Nippur & Novosibirsk would be handy to have, but getting & settling those islands now would probably take too long?!)

Next in line is GamezRule. Are you ready to go or still on the "disabled list"?

Lanzelot

His sig still says he is, so I'd guess he's still disabled. Let me just check the last roster...

edit:
1: Overseer=> Just Played
2: GamezRule=> On Disabled List
3: Lanzelot=> UP!
4: Splunge=> Eagerly awaits the Win
5: Sparthage=> Eagerly awaits the Win
6: DWetzel=> Eagerly awaits the Win

My Civ 3 disk is still in my computer that won't turn on... until now. (fixed)

Although I literally have no idea what the game looks like right now.

It's really going to be pretty simple: capture and/or settle approximately 12 cities on the other continent. I think we can gain 20-30 tiles on our continent with some library rushes also.

Thought: if we can somehow get three armies over to the other continent, there is a 3-tile choke there which runs SW-NE through Cempoala (sp?). If we can raze that town, we can set up an army barricade and cut off any reinforcements (and we can probably use those armies in the very late game to capture one or two final towns).

Dunno if it's really even necessary -- but it feels like that's be easier than trying to play whack-a mole with our existing troops up there.

It's really going to be pretty simple: capture and/or settle approximately 12 cities on the other continent.

Capturing 5 and rushing 5 libs in them may be faster. Perhaps even 4 is enough (4x21 + 31 on the home continent = 115. There are still 2 good spots for a quick settler back at home.) Gold should not be a problem. We just need enough units to quell the resistance quickly.
The idea with the Armies sounds good, if the empty Armies are close enough to arrive in time. Basically we need ship everything we have to Arhus now...

I guess I'll take it.

I'm not really sure, but DWetzel may be right, it might be hard because of the limited amount's of units in the battlezone, although I did only give it a quick look, and CAII told me 266 tiles are required to win, and there were 142 unclaimed tiles? Also, Overseer, take a look at the title of you're save. ;)

The title is wrong, but it is the correct save. Getting to Aarhus is not too difficult, if you can do ship-chaining. There is an empty army on Viking island and another on the Island of Death. Right now, we are short on cavalry to fill them. We could rush several per turn to get it going.

I might be rusty on this game or just Civ3 in general, but from what I have been told, it seem's like a win is a little more then 10 turns away, but then a lot can happen in 10 turns, also, water tiles count toward's the win, right?

EDIT: Action plan will be up tomorrow...

Only coastal tiles(light blue), not sea(medium blue) or ocean(dark blue) count toward domination.

Can someone explain how to ship chain? I've heard it referred to but was unclear on the execution. Thanks!

Okay, I could figure this out better with civ3 itself, but...
You have line of ships, each ship carries its load over 1 tile to another ship that the load disembarks onto. Repeat as many times as necessary. The number of units you can ship over is limited only by the ship movement number and how many of them you have. With this method, you get all of the units across a possibly 100 tile ocean in one turn and still have movement points when you land.

Well, at least that's how I've worked it before.

As long as each link overlaps the next, troops keep their movement points. So in this case, troops ride the rails to Konigsberg and board Galleon A there. That Galleon travels across the strait and meets Galleon B there and the troops are swapped directly onboard it. Galleon B unloads in Stockholm and the troops ride the rails to Hans and board Galleon C. Galleon C crosses the strait to Aarhus and unloads there. So troops can be ready to go into action with full movement points. I'd say send some workers over too.

My apologies, a surprise was sprung on me after school in the type that I just got home, so I have no time to type a plan, although it would be helpful if somebody could put in a basic list what our top priorities are in order to win.

Top Bottom