SGOTM 23 - Lurker thread

BSP, well done on designing the whole map and especially the starting area. PR and TA settled different but equal spots and followed different initial tech paths that were roughly equal. That speaks to the quality of your design. :goodjob:

I forgot about the missed Philosophy bulb. Would have hit T105 easily without that... J/K. ;)
Hard to know how much that cost us. We got ~10b-bpt 1hpt from the settled scientist and we would have had to save more eps and do that whole rigmarole again.

Still not worked out where GLH was built on your game TA?[/B] Like us you don't appear to have built it. Did you capture GLH from an AI?

You made the sensible decision not to attack the Russians. I think this was a big stumbling block for our game. Sal had little or no metal. Same for Indians. Mehmed had metal but small empire. We chose to attack strongest Ai on the map! Suicide!!

Russian had 2 iron resources which we couldn't pillage. It was a blood bath taking Stalin's 3 walled cities. This cost us many turns and many HA. Transporting units and waiting for a stack of 16HA to start the war. It was also this point we realised just how few units we actually had to complete the game.

I think in our games if either China or Mongols settled an island city near end this would of set us back 5-10+ turns.

On a plus side nice to finish only single digit turns behind TA. Doesn't happen often. Like you suggest we lost our way around the Russian attack. Be it buildings or attacking the wrong AI to reach conquest quickest.

:wavey:

Congrats to all the teams who's finished and special congrats to Turbo Ants for winning -- well done!

Also big thanks to BSPollux for great map design. If you keep up this level of maps I will continue to play for sure. ;)

Hard to know how much that cost us. We got ~10b-bpt 1hpt from the settled scientist and we would have had to save more eps and do that whole rigmarole again.

That's how I see it. I think it was a blessing in disguise. We ended up bulbing Philo, so we didn't waste any resources on EPs, and that settled GS was nice.

For those that don't know the whole story. The plan was to have Hatty bulb Philo and we steal it. But we neglected to gift her the pre-req techs so she settled it. We planned to do gift the techs, but didn't.

How many civic switches did you make outside of golden ages?? Guessing none?

We seemed to of teched a lot of unwanted techs. We did music, aesth, lit, Nationalism, MT. Among others. We never quite got that killer instinct. We were expecting a 200 turn game at one point. At times you forget how quickly you tech on Monarch level. Teched CS too. :(

Oh hatty bulbed philosophy for us but we never got round to stealing it. Had to self tech this. She was never going to trade it.

Like you suggest we lost our way around the Russian attack. Be it buildings or attacking the wrong AI to reach conquest quickest.

I don't know. In LowtherCastle's rumored replay attempt, I think he hinted he wants to go thru Stalin and chop his way to T105 conquest.

How many civic switches did you make outside of golden ages?? Guessing none?

We seemed to of teched a lot of unwanted techs. We did music, aesth, lit, Nationalism, MT. Among others. We never quite got that killer instinct. We were expecting a 200 turn game at one point. At times you forget how quickly you tech on Monarch level. Teched CS too. :(

Oh hatty bulbed philosophy for us but we never got round to stealing it. Had to self tech this. She was never going to trade it.

well, we switched to slavery, but that was probably it.

We did music, aes, lit, but no CS and Nationalism (so no Taj for us:(). Plan was to double-GM bulb RepParts, but we didn't end up doing that.

and Great Light House was built in...........

I think with some chariots/HA to pillage metal the Russian route would of been fine. We just hit stalin and he already had a border force of 6-7 metal units. That with city walls, spears and an endless stream of units it did not go well. His metals were well protected at other end of his empire. Our attack on Moscow cost us 4-5 HA. We only took it with our final unit.

With a chariot approach you could of easily choked Russia and stopped him from getting metal. Given where we were in game Russia was a big decision. I think he would of gone red fist on us anyway. So maybe we had no choice? Have to look back. Probably taken out Germans too avoiding metals. Early on I guessed the German mine was copper.

Our Russian attack wasn't that bad. It ran out of steam and forced us to take a cease fire and wait for reinforcements, which gave him time to reinforce as well (which he most certainly did). Had we had even a couple more units to start with, Novgorod would have fallen with the first wave and it would have been a lot easier. Also, we brought no chariots when several of his cities were defendef byta only axes...

The other problem was that at the same time we were building up units for English and Portuguese war, meaning not enough reinforcements heading east. I think attacking them at that time was a bigger mistake than attacking Russia. We could have taken them out at any time later.

Another question for the Ants:
Seems you delayed revealing coal by teching Steel before SP. Why? (or did I misread your thread?)

Our Russian attack wasn't that bad. It ran out of steam and forced us to take a cease fire and wait for reinforcements, which gave him time to reinforce as well (which he most certainly did). Had we had even a couple more units to start with, Novgorod would have fallen with the first wave and it would have been a lot easier. Also, we brought no chariots when several of his cities were defendef byta only axes...

The other problem was that at the same time we were building up units for English and Portuguese war, meaning not enough reinforcements heading east. I think attacking them at that time was a bigger mistake than attacking Russia. We could have taken them out at any time later.
Agree, and the main reason for this was us underestimating the game pace. We wanted to capture those cities early because we wanted them to contribute to the empire's research, but in fact we already had plenty. In hindsight we should've left these for later/last.

Overemphasis on infrastructure and lack of units in Russia all came from us underestimating victory date. Will need to keep this in mind for next game (if there is one).

@Gumbolt: They told you when and where they got GLH on previous page (Darius). That's one area where the game certainly did us no favours -- having it built in China. Protective capital on a hill on the other side of the world......
It wouldn't have made up for the turns by itself, but maybe having it nearby would've made us think differently regarding warfare and what our bottleneck would be. As it were we were pretty set on capturing it.* Anyway, our own fault regardless for misinterpreting the situation.

*Part of the reason we went for Stalin early was to clear a path towards Beijing. If it had been built in Persia then we'd likely go the southern route as well and vassal Stalin. Classic case of the butterfly effect.

BSP, well done on designing the whole map and especially the starting area. PR and TA settled different but equal spots and followed different initial tech paths that were roughly equal. That speaks to the quality of your design. :goodjob:
Thank you very much :)

Thanks for the nice scenario BSP. Maybe the level should indeed have been at least emperor or immortal, this time the monarch AIs were pushed over a lot easier than in the previous game.
I'm not sure, but my gut feeling says if I start that map with immortal AIs, it becomes unwinnable. Egypt is set up to be the early game research monster and Russia is set up to be scary size-wise. If they get boosted some more they might become too strong.

Here is the start on Immortal

Edit: Wait this will have the tech bug that AlanH has to fix all the time... what was it again? AI loses techs somehow and it has to be manualy given to them, I just don't remember the exact details.

Edit2: Fixed the lost techs bug. This should be ok now.

Attachments

• Immortal_Express_Star_fixed.CivBeyondSwordSave
    36 KB · Views: 350
Edit: Wait this will have the tech bug that AlanH has to fix all the time... what was it again? AI loses techs somehow and it has to be manualy given to them, I just don't remember the exact details.
There are two possible lost tech features.

1. Barbarian techs are not set when you start from a world builder save. What this means is when we create the xOTMs we need to set the barb techs "manually" appropriately per level. Also, anyone playing an old xOTM from the WB save would need to do so as well.

2. If you just edit the WB save to change the level, then the AI techs won't be changed. So you need to do this manually in WB save as well (what I suspect you did with edit2).
AFAIK, if you start a WB save at a different level, the techs are set correctly (for AIs not barbs).

So is time up now or are Xteam going to be allowed to complete their game?? Assuming they have not done so already?

There was an earlier version of my "build a railroad" scenario. You would have started on a big, twisted/blocked continent with two settlers far from each other with the goal to found both cities within 5 turns and to connect them by railroad before winning the game.

I changed the concept because the question where to settle the capital was way to important for the game result. And you wouldnt have enough info, so it was very random. But the map is basically done. If someone wants to try it, here it is!

Washington, Emperor.

Attachments

• railroad_1st_concept.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    254.4 KB · Views: 156
Top Bottom