[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Home Slices

Not sure how you MMed it but I get this:

Worker whip / worker chop / granary / start chariot
T17: Size 2, 17/24f, 14/30h chariot, wheat farmed, forest 1NE chopped, iron mined, ivory watermill
MM: work stone instead of wheat for +1h into the worker as applicable, work stone instead of wheat while building the granary until wheat farmed.
Not sure what I was doing either. I got the same numbers as you on a second playthrough. This feels pretty good.
I also need to work on the Yan'an timing a bit. I'm going worker-whip / granary / worker?, and pig-horse with the worker. The timing is not great. We need something to grow on after the granary, I think.

I've done some testing.

Yan'an test:
worker whip / part granary / worker whip / finish granary
T18: size 1, 11/22f, 2h OF, pig / horse / 3 more worker turns

Gua test:
worker whip / granary whip / wb whip / galley whip / chariot whip / LH whip (also includes one chop)
T23 gift and recapture
Worker: corn farm, chop, 2 roads for TR, 3t into rice farm before city gift, completes rice after recapture.
Toku had just mined iron in Manchou by this point. Our bomber can be back for bombardment there after all the recon in the west. We can have 3 chariots from Beijing, as well. Edit: or other units. Beijing is cranking out hammers at this point (pop 4 growing to 5).
We lose the Gua fish tile to Churchill for 2t after recapture

Stole a worker from Stalin, and he was willing to CF after 4t.
DoW'd Toku for a recapture of Gua, sent a chariot to pillage his iron mine at Manchou, and his LB left the city to attack my chariot. He had 2 archers left in the city. After I killed the LB with another chariot, one of the archers also attacked.
When I stole DG's worker with an archer, his LB didn't attack, but there was only one archer in the city (Shanghai builds wb first, so it's behind on production).
It would be great to draw the LBs out. How does this work? Toku has high attack courage, I assume.

We can easily circumnav E-W from Washington. N-S doesn't work. If we use Mongolia and Toku's capital (would need OB for this), we are 3 tiles short.

Stupid question:
How do you attack and cause collateral damage with the bomber? :mischief:

Edit: nvm, I got it. Have to see the city for an air strike (can't be in fog), unlike for bombardment.

Use chariots + bomber for distant chariot rush on Europe?
Sheesh. The bomber is killer. In the test save it needed 2t to bombard 20% to 0% (16+4%) and 1t to knock the lb down 38% or 32% or 42% in three trials. What is the range for that percentage? In any case, the first unpromoted sword was at 61% odd against the 62% lbm. Those cities are dead meat any time we choose. With SP, what are we waiting for?
It is killer!

Looking at this, chariots do poorly against the LB and archers, even after the bomber does its thing. Unpromoted swords are going to be >50% against the LB and >80% against collateral damage archers (and I'm testing against PRO).

I think we should be looking at the fastest path to taking all of Manchou, Shanghai, Tsingtao and Hong Kong at least. Getting those cities and settling gold will get us off to a flyer.

I want to keep the bomber gainfully employed. After the initial recon in Europe and America, it should be back home and ready to attack by T20 at the latest. I don't think we can quite get the swords out on that timeline, but close. The bomber needs 3t to bombard and strike. What does it do until we're ready for the next target? I guess it can rebase and explore for a few turns.

Edit: The AIs also can build nothing better than archers for a while. They don't have Feudalism or IW. Bismarck does have copper in Tsingtao...

I'm thinking I could play T4-7, to advance the game a bit while we discuss other things:
Spoiler :

OB with Mehmed.
Beijing: whip worker this turn / start on 2nd worker working stone
Yan'an: whip worker T5 / start on granary working horse
Gua: whip worker T6 / start on granary working corn
Beijing worker: chop 1NE
Bomber: recon SE of HK, rebase to Istanbul, recon between Istanbul and Bombay
GP - shrine
Mongolia archer - head in the general direction of Moscow
Continue Currency at 0%?
Continue ep on Roosevelt?

We'd see Toku's, Stalin's and Mehmed's capitals and possibly get more knowledge of their free techs.
Thoughts?

Edit: revised builds
Edit: alternatively, I could stop on T6, so we don't need to commit to Yan and Gua builds. We still get to see Moscow and Istanbul.

Last edited:
I've done some testing.

Yan'an test:
worker whip / part granary / worker whip / finish granary
T18: size 1, 11/22f, 2h OF, pig / horse / 3 more worker turns

Gua test:
worker whip / granary whip / wb whip / galley whip / chariot whip / LH whip (also includes one chop)
T23 gift and recapture
Worker: corn farm, chop, 2 roads for TR, 3t into rice farm before city gift, completes rice after recapture.
Toku had just mined iron in Manchou by this point. Our bomber can be back for bombardment there after all the recon in the west. We can have 3 chariots from Beijing, as well. Edit: or other units. Beijing is cranking out hammers at this point (pop 4 growing to 5).
We lose the Gua fish tile to Churchill for 2t after recapture

Stole a worker from Stalin, and he was willing to CF after 4t.
DoW'd Toku for a recapture of Gua, sent a chariot to pillage his iron mine at Manchou, and his LB left the city to attack my chariot. He had 2 archers left in the city. After I killed the LB with another chariot, one of the archers also attacked.
When I stole DG's worker with an archer, his LB didn't attack, but there was only one archer in the city (Shanghai builds wb first, so it's behind on production).
It would be great to draw the LBs out. How does this work? Toku has high attack courage, I assume.

We can easily circumnav E-W from Washington. N-S doesn't work. If we use Mongolia and Toku's capital (would need OB for this), we are 3 tiles short.
Haven't tested Yanan at all but is there any point in building a granary before the second worker?

I'm thinking I could play T4-7, to advance the game a bit while we discuss other things:
Spoiler :

OB with Mehmed.
Beijing: whip worker this turn / start on 2nd worker working stone
Yan'an: whip worker T6
Gua: whip worker T6
Beijing worker: chop 1NE
Bomber: recon SE of HK, rebase to Istanbul, recon between Istanbul and Bombay
GP - shrine
Mongolia archer - head in the general direction of Moscow
Continue Currency at 0%?
Continue ep on Roosevelt?

We'd see Toku's, Stalin's and Mehmed's capitals and possibly get more knowledge of their free techs.
Thoughts?
No point in eps on Roosy. So who? I guess Bismarck. He likes us as much as Roosy and has a decent Peace Weight vis a vis Mehmed.
Might as well 0% on Currency, as long as we started that.

Yes, when you see Toku's capital, take a quick look at whether he has a worker and his SabProd to see if he's making another. That might be our fastest worker steal. Maybe even put the galley before the wb and steal with the archer.

Ok, I played to T8 and uploaded. Only bomber and Mongolia archer moved this turn. Report to follow.

We are Stalin's WE. Nothing else too interesting happened.

We can now see 5 AI capitals. I think we can analyze the demographics and scoreboard a bit more now.

Edit: The archer from Hong Kong disappeared in the last 2t. Could he delete it to save maintenance? Or did I miss a galley?

Edit: Mehmed whipped a worker this turn. Mongolia had grown to pop 2 a couple of turns ago and is down to pop 1 now, so there is a good chance he whipped a worker, as well. DG just finished a wb in Shanghai, as expected. Presumably, Toku is building a wb in Tokyo, as well?

Last edited:
Yes, when you see Toku's capital, take a quick look at whether he has a worker and his SabProd to see if he's making another. That might be our fastest worker steal. Maybe even put the galley before the wb and steal with the archer.
I don't know how to do this, so I took screenshots each turn for you.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0108.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0108.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Civ4ScreenShot0110.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0110.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Civ4ScreenShot0112.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0112.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Civ4ScreenShot0113.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0113.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 108
Mongolia had grown to pop 2 a couple of turns ago and is down to pop 1 now, so there is a good chance he whipped a worker, as well.
Unfortunately, I moved that archer already this turn, before realizing this. The worker is probably heading to the sheep first. I don't think we can backtrack to the sheep, but we could look into intercepting at the cow or gold after. Mongolia should also pop its borders on T12, I think, due to the 2t of revolt.

Edit: Mongolia is also a nice city now, with the 5f sheep.

Unfortunately, I moved that archer already this turn, before realizing this. The worker is probably heading to the sheep first. I don't think we can backtrack to the sheep, but we could look into intercepting at the cow or gold after. Mongolia should also pop its borders on T12, I think, due to the 2t of revolt.

Edit: Mongolia is also a nice city now, with the 5f sheep.

if you want to see the save before the archer moved, you're allowed to open the autosave from the beginning of the turn.
Just be careful not to do anything.

if you want to see the save before the archer moved, you're allowed to open the autosave from the beginning of the turn.
Just be careful not to do anything.
It looks like my autosave interval isn't set to 1. How do I do that again? Doesn't seem to be in the Options dialogue.

I do have intermediate saves and there happened to be an autosave on T7. I can tell that Stalin whipped something that completed on T7, but don't have city visibility for it.

Top Bottom