1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Home Slices

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Jan 13, 2018.

1. babybluepants

babybluepants Deity GOTM Staff

Not sure what I was doing either. I got the same numbers as you on a second playthrough. This feels pretty good.
    I also need to work on the Yan'an timing a bit. I'm going worker-whip / granary / worker?, and pig-horse with the worker. The timing is not great. We need something to grow on after the granary, I think.

2. babybluepants

I've done some testing.

Yan'an test:
    worker whip / part granary / worker whip / finish granary
    T18: size 1, 11/22f, 2h OF, pig / horse / 3 more worker turns

Gua test:
    worker whip / granary whip / wb whip / galley whip / chariot whip / LH whip (also includes one chop)
    T23 gift and recapture
    Worker: corn farm, chop, 2 roads for TR, 3t into rice farm before city gift, completes rice after recapture.
    Toku had just mined iron in Manchou by this point. Our bomber can be back for bombardment there after all the recon in the west. We can have 3 chariots from Beijing, as well. Edit: or other units. Beijing is cranking out hammers at this point (pop 4 growing to 5).
    We lose the Gua fish tile to Churchill for 2t after recapture

Stole a worker from Stalin, and he was willing to CF after 4t.
    DoW'd Toku for a recapture of Gua, sent a chariot to pillage his iron mine at Manchou, and his LB left the city to attack my chariot. He had 2 archers left in the city. After I killed the LB with another chariot, one of the archers also attacked.
    When I stole DG's worker with an archer, his LB didn't attack, but there was only one archer in the city (Shanghai builds wb first, so it's behind on production).
    It would be great to draw the LBs out. How does this work? Toku has high attack courage, I assume.

We can easily circumnav E-W from Washington. N-S doesn't work. If we use Mongolia and Toku's capital (would need OB for this), we are 3 tiles short.

3. babybluepants

Stupid question:
    How do you attack and cause collateral damage with the bomber? :mischief:

Edit: nvm, I got it. Have to see the city for an air strike (can't be in fog), unlike for bombardment.

4. babybluepants

5. babybluepants

It is killer!

Looking at this, chariots do poorly against the LB and archers, even after the bomber does its thing. Unpromoted swords are going to be >50% against the LB and >80% against collateral damage archers (and I'm testing against PRO).

I think we should be looking at the fastest path to taking all of Manchou, Shanghai, Tsingtao and Hong Kong at least. Getting those cities and settling gold will get us off to a flyer.

I want to keep the bomber gainfully employed. After the initial recon in Europe and America, it should be back home and ready to attack by T20 at the latest. I don't think we can quite get the swords out on that timeline, but close. The bomber needs 3t to bombard and strike. What does it do until we're ready for the next target? I guess it can rebase and explore for a few turns.

Edit: The AIs also can build nothing better than archers for a while. They don't have Feudalism or IW. Bismarck does have copper in Tsingtao...

6. babybluepants

I'm thinking I could play T4-7, to advance the game a bit while we discuss other things:
    Spoiler :

OB with Mehmed.
    Beijing: whip worker this turn / start on 2nd worker working stone
    Yan'an: whip worker T5 / start on granary working horse
    Gua: whip worker T6 / start on granary working corn
    Beijing worker: chop 1NE
    Bomber: recon SE of HK, rebase to Istanbul, recon between Istanbul and Bombay
    GP - shrine
    Mongolia archer - head in the general direction of Moscow
    Continue Currency at 0%?
    Continue ep on Roosevelt?

We'd see Toku's, Stalin's and Mehmed's capitals and possibly get more knowledge of their free techs.
    Thoughts?

Edit: revised builds
    Edit: alternatively, I could stop on T6, so we don't need to commit to Yan and Gua builds. We still get to see Moscow and Istanbul.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  7. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Haven't tested Yanan at all but is there any point in building a granary before the second worker?

8. babybluepants

9. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

No point in eps on Roosy. So who? I guess Bismarck. He likes us as much as Roosy and has a decent Peace Weight vis a vis Mehmed.
    Might as well 0% on Currency, as long as we started that.

Yes, when you see Toku's capital, take a quick look at whether he has a worker and his SabProd to see if he's making another. That might be our fastest worker steal. Maybe even put the galley before the wb and steal with the archer.

10. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

ok

11. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

sounds good. Green light from me.

12. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I'm happy with the plan.

13. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

green light

14. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Right, Longbows will only heal 0.9:strength: (15%) in friendly territory per turn without a medic.

2 bombards should get it to half hp unless a 2nd unit stronger than Archer appears.

15. babybluepants

Ok, I played to T8 and uploaded. Only bomber and Mongolia archer moved this turn. Report to follow.

We are Stalin's WE. Nothing else too interesting happened.

We can now see 5 AI capitals. I think we can analyze the demographics and scoreboard a bit more now.

Edit: The archer from Hong Kong disappeared in the last 2t. Could he delete it to save maintenance? Or did I miss a galley?

Edit: Mehmed whipped a worker this turn. Mongolia had grown to pop 2 a couple of turns ago and is down to pop 1 now, so there is a good chance he whipped a worker, as well. DG just finished a wb in Shanghai, as expected. Presumably, Toku is building a wb in Tokyo, as well?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  16. babybluepants

I don't know how to do this, so I took screenshots each turn for you.

Attached Files:

17. babybluepants

Unfortunately, I moved that archer already this turn, before realizing this. The worker is probably heading to the sheep first. I don't think we can backtrack to the sheep, but we could look into intercepting at the cow or gold after. Mongolia should also pop its borders on T12, I think, due to the 2t of revolt.

Edit: Mongolia is also a nice city now, with the 5f sheep.

18. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

if you want to see the save before the archer moved, you're allowed to open the autosave from the beginning of the turn.
    Just be careful not to do anything.

19. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Tokyo is building a worker at 5 fhpt: 9-14-19-24. (Unless he can work 5 hpt, haven't seen the save yet.)

20. babybluepants

It looks like my autosave interval isn't set to 1. How do I do that again? Doesn't seem to be in the Options dialogue.

I do have intermediate saves and there happened to be an autosave on T7. I can tell that Stalin whipped something that completed on T7, but don't have city visibility for it.