[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Home Slices

It looks like my autosave interval isn't set to 1. How do I do that again?

For official games like GotM, tt's very important to set this in case you get a crash. Of course, with SG games, we're saving every turn, so maybe not important.
Anyway, go to your civilizationIV.ini file (in documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword) and you'll fine something like autosave. set it to 1.

For official games like GotM, tt's very important to set this in case you get a crash. Of course, with SG games, we're saving every turn, so maybe not important.
Anyway, go to your civilizationIV.ini file (in documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword) and you'll fine something like autosave. set it to 1.
Thanks, got it. :thumbsup:

We now know everything about JC's power and score. He has 40,000 soldiers (26,000 tech + 8,000 Praet + 6,000 Rome LB) - this is the Rival Worst. His score checks out at 138 (3 pop + 101 base tech + 18 Banking + 16 wonders).

We've probably seen all starting units, except for CG units in Paris, London and Washington. If we assume that they have 1LB each, similar to Moscow, Rome, Berlin and Tokyo, we are left with the following:
Spoiler :

Churchill
Power = 48,000 / Score = 146 (194 actual) - includes 18pts Banking
Roosevelt
Power = 42,000 / Score = 124 (190 actual)
Stalin
Power = 42,000 / Score = 148 (184 actual) - includes MT
Bismarck
Power = 42,000 / Score = 124 (184 actual)
De Gaulle
Power = 42,000 / Score = 124 (172 actual)
Tokugawa
Power = 42,000 / Score = 142 (172 actual) - includes CS
Mehmed II
Power = 38,000 / Score = 120 (156 actual)
Julius Caesar
Power = 40,000 / Score = 138 (138 actual) - includes Banking

Red means unconfirmed, bold means definitive.

This puts the total power rating at 326,000, which is 61,000 below the actual.

I suspect that Churchill has Rifling, which enables his UU. That would put him on the Rival Best 60,000.

Mehmed must have a tech that gives him some power rating, as he is currently below Rival Worst. His UU requires GP.

It's hard to speculate about the others just yet. It is, however, impossible that they all have UU-enabling techs. JC definitely doesn't have IW. Roosevelt and Bismarck would be over the Rival Best if they had Rifling+Industrialism, as would Stalin, if he had HBR+Rifling.

We can also be fairly certain that none of them have Monarchy or Feudalism, as they would have likely revolted by now.

Conclusion: I'm not sure that we can definitively confirm their free techs until we get Alphabet. There are too many missing variables at this point.

I thought LC was certain most had Monarchy.
Okay. I made a mistake. :cry: No one has Monarchy, as witnessed by no one flipping to HR and bbp's observation. My miscalculation? We already have both prereq techs for Monarchy. I calculated with only one. :badjob: Sorry, folks.

So :goodjob: to bbp for picking up on this, despite my carved-in-stone guarantees :blush: because this tells us they're that much farther away from Feudalism.

The big question to me, now, is do other AIs have nasty units lurking. For example, does Stalin have a cossack roaming around somewhere, ready to give us hell if we steal a worker?

We are Stalin's WE.
Yes. His rank went from 4 to 5, dropping him to -3 hidden attitude.

Edit: The archer from Hong Kong disappeared in the last 2t. Could he delete it to save maintenance? Or did I miss a galley?
I think AIs are known to delete units under economic pressure. Ghandi did it in SG10. That's cool.

Mongolia had grown to pop 2 a couple of turns ago and is down to pop 1 now, so there is a good chance he whipped a worker, as well.
Mongolia now has a granary. No worker there yet.

Presumably, Toku is building a wb in Tokyo, as well?
Worker. And what for? What a junk city, junk island. Good for our vassal plans, though.

So it indeed looks like sossos erased the AI workers to nerf the AIs even more. This is playing out more like Settler than Diety. We didn't see any workers at Moscow, did we?

It also appears that sossos might have deleted the AI scouts. Have we seen any yet? AIs are quite slow in meeting each other.

Mongolia now has a granary. No worker there yet.
Ok. That's in keeping with my observations from the test game. The colonial cities started by building either granary or wb, before workers.
The big question to me, now, is do other AIs have nasty units lurking. For example, does Stalin have a cossack roaming around somewhere, ready to give us hell if we steal a worker?
I can’t disprove it, but I do think it is unlikely. All of the AIs obviously have more free techs, as evidenced by their scores. Stalin, for instance, is missing 36 points, which is the equivalent of 3 classical techs OR 2 medieval OR 1 renaissance + 1 classical. I think there is a high likelihood that some of those free techs are contributing a chunk of the unknown soldiers rating.
It also appears that sossos might have deleted the AI scouts. Have we seen any yet? AIs are quite slow in meeting each other.
No scouts. I believe that the AIs only have CG units and the two UU's we've seen.
We didn't see any workers at Moscow, did we?
No. What to do with the Spy? Should it just hang around Moscow for a while and keep an eye on Stalin? There’s not much point exploring with it further, as the bomber is in Europe now.

If there are no objections to the proposed builds, I think that the main issue before playing further is the worker stealing. What are everyone’s thoughts on this? Do we use the 3 archers to stalk workers or wait for chariots?

Edit: I am inclined to keep going towards Moscow with the one near Mongolia. The one in the south could come around Shaghai and wait at 1N of Shanghai rice for DG’s worker there. The one that is currently 1N of that rice could move back north and observe Manchou.

The other question is how do we open up a trade route to Europe. I don’t think we can see the Indian coast without rebasing to Mumbai and recon from there. There could still be an Africa that blocks us from revealing the coastline south of Istanbul. We also want to see London and Washington soon. Which is the higher priority? I think the AI capitals.

The other question is how do we open up a trade route to Europe. I don’t think we can see the Indian coast without rebasing to Mumbai and recon from there. There could still be an Africa that blocks us from revealing the coastline south of Istanbul. We also want to see London and Washington soon. Which is the higher priority? I think the AI capitals.
Do you see us defogging the north using the bomber only? If not, the spy could go where the bomber doesn't reach. Same thing could go for the south, since we're already working the south. The spy could defog south africa.

I'm in favor of continuing our current build plans. Protecting the fish nets is going to be a problem but that's what we have Kaitzilla for. :D

Do you see us defogging the north using the bomber only? If not, the spy could go where the bomber doesn't reach. Same thing could go for the south, since we're already working the south. The spy could defog south africa.
We don’t currently see any of the northern coastline from the NE corner to Moscow. That’s a very long trek for a land unit. Spy has 2-movement, but still…

I think that the thing to do is to spend one turn doing recon to the south of Istanbul (not looking at the game right now, so don’t know exactly where), and try to confirm whether there is an Africa or not. If not, we should be ok spending a couple of extra bomber turns later to defog India.

If there is, then maybe the Spy should trace the north coast of Europe, and the bomber has to rebase ot Mongolia eventually to recon north of there.

Where does the Spy want to end up and when?

And now Kaitzilla will be ok with NOT getting Alphabet :whew:
No Monarchy? Awwww

I am very happy that Gau grew a forest and Hong Kong deleted an Archer.
I'm half tempted to try an Archer rush against Hong Kong on Turn 19 as soon as the city grows to Size 2 and we bomb the Longbow down to 3/6:strength: :crazyeye:
I am also happy that Mongolia turns out to be another strong city we can take.

The Great Spy does nothing that the Bomber can't do.
The bomber can even get us Circumnavigation bonus.
We should turn the Great Spy into a Worker hunter I think.
It can look for Workers near our homeland while the Bomber trashes nice cities we want to take.
There will be a good 12 turn stretch where we are constantly bombing down border defenses and city units, so a 2nd pair of eyes would be useful.

I think our Archer should keep going for Stalin's capital.

===================

As always, I favor the plan that gives us the most benefits.

Weird. Hong Kong had 1h into its build on t4 but on t8 it has 9h. As if it's building a worker at 2fhpt, which is the most fh it can produce. But how did it get just 1fh on t4? That worker will be done on t29 or a turn or two earlier if it gets our clam tile for some turns when we gift it away. Too late for our archer rush?

Mongolia gets us a gold tile without settling another city.

We don’t currently see any of the northern coastline from the NE corner to Moscow. That’s a very long trek for a land unit. Spy has 2-movement, but still…

I think that the thing to do is to spend one turn doing recon to the south of Istanbul (not looking at the game right now, so don’t know exactly where), and try to confirm whether there is an Africa or not. If not, we should be ok spending a couple of extra bomber turns later to defog India.

If there is, then maybe the Spy should trace the north coast of Europe, and the bomber has to rebase ot Mongolia eventually to recon north of there.

Where does the Spy want to end up and when?
Do what you think is best. Maybe time the spy to be at Moscow just when his worker completes to assist the archer capture. That's about t15. Or time it for about when the archer's arriving.

Top Bottom