SGOTM2 Maintenance Thread

Karasu

Wanderer
GOTM Staff
SGOTM2 Maintenance Thread

Here is the start position.

The purpose of this thread is to provide a single point of contact between the staff and teams. The staff will post announcements here and the teams can post questions and comments here too.

This month sees the introduction of a new system for scoring and game handover. This will now be done through the GOTM server.

To upload a save file.
SGOTM Submissions.

To download a save file and study the current scores.
SGOTM Save files and scoring data

Please don't use this thread for discussions. :)

P.S. As MB said, the SGOTM rules still need to be finalised. In the meantime, you can see them Here

[I've already posted this in the other thread, but I figure it wwill get spotted quicker here.]

I have a question about the variant. Is the "diplo dogpile" legal or illegal?

IMHO we should make it illegal across the board, because that takes all the challenge out of going for the variant in the first place.

[edit- To keep this thread free from clutter all discussion should go into the SGOTM2-Germany thread. I'll explain what I mean better in that thread, this one should just get the answer.]

Genghis... I hear what you say. Lets discuss it in the discussion thread ;)

The discussion thread is closed. :hmm:

Moderator Action: Re-opened. Finger trouble!

The next stage in the game maintenance process is now live. You can now click a checkbox on the submission listing page to present the Firaxis scores for the teams as a graph instead of as a list. There's not much to see yet as the scores for four of the teams who have started are identical, but it will update and rescale automatically as soon as each file is uploaded, and we should start to see more divergence.

Suggestions, here or via PM, for additional presentation options are welcome, as ever.

Enjoy!

Just to stress what Alan wrote in the last post:

- Alan has put together an automated INPUT page that every team can use to upload and store the save files as the game goes on.
- Of course, there is also the OUTPUT page, whence you can download the saves and check the game progress agains all other teams.

These pages are meant to provide a single reference for storage and retrieval of game saves, and an immediate update on the game status (by checking the checkbox above the data table).
Thanks to Alan's powers :worship: , the games are automatically renamed and stored in the proper way, so we don't have to worry about naming, zipping, attaching etc. etc.

However, the thing will only work and show updated results if we remember to upload our saves there ;)
I know it breaks our habit of posting SG files in the game thread, but we believe that this will help us run the SGOTM more efficiently and ultimately have more fun out of it.
Besides, it is not forbidden to post the saves 'the old way' -just remember to upload them on the SGOTM server too :)

Karasu said:
Besides, it is not forbidden to post the saves 'the old way' -just remember to upload them on the SGOTM server too :)
Is it necessary to upload them twice, or may we use the links to the saves from the submissions page?

The process in words of one syllable-ish :p

1. Download your team's start file from >>HERE<< **

2. Play your turns using PtW or Civ3 1.29 as specified for your team.
Do NOT run the Conquests software.

3. Save your file using any file name you like.

4. Upload your file >>HERE<<.
Type your forum name in the form. ***

5. Copy the url you get back.**

6. Paste the url into your turn log post. **

7. Next player downloads the file using the link in your turn log OR the new link under your team name in the score table >>HERE<< **

8. Repeat steps 2 to 7 until step 6 was for the last turn in the game.

** Right click is your friend.

*** The software cannot currently tell the difference between a conquest defeat and any other save during the game.
So if your final save is for a conquest defeat, check the box to say so at for that save ONLY.

Please let me know if this is not as clear as mud.

AlanH said:
Please let me know if this is not as clear as mud.
I'd say those destructions are pretty well "G.I.-Proof". :thumbsup:

Questions:

1. What is the link to the SGOTM rules? It has been so long since I played a GOTM I should check to see if anything changed.

2. What is the link to the scoring system? Again it has been ages since looked at Jason, or are we using another scoring system?

Hopefully these are on topic.

PF

I'll provide the links tonight when I get home from work. Yes you are on topic.
Most of the rules are common sense I hope.

planetfall said:
Questions:

1. What is the link to the SGOTM rules? It has been so long since I played a GOTM I should check to see if anything changed.
Hello

SGOTM is currently played to GOTM rules. The main GOTM rules are laid out on the introduction page That page includes a link to the permitted and banned exploit list.

2. What is the link to the scoring system? Again it has been ages since looked at Jason, or are we using another scoring system?
The base Firaxis scores are being displayed in the SGOTM progress listings. A Jason calculation is done once the game is over which replaces the Firaxis victory bonus with another bonus that varies according to the victory condition. This aims to make different victory condition scores comparable. There's also a scaling factor to normalise scores for different maps so that scores for different games can be compared.

There's a Jason online calculator >>HERE<< There's a link on that page to an explanation of the system. Aeson is the expert. When you understand it, please come back and explain it to me ;)

HTH

PS: There's a GOTM Reference thread stickied in the main GOTM forum, created by Civ_Steve. The first post contains lots of useful reference links.

If anyone has problems differentiating the colours on the score graph please let me know. I personally don't have any colour colour vision problems, so I can't be sure I've chosen a reasonable palette. But I know some of you do, so please contact me here or via PM and advise which ones are causing trouble and I can try to improve it for you.

[PS Requests to change the Kuningas colour to pale blue will receive sympathy, but no action :p ]

I just want to compliment AlanH and the rest of the staff on the job they do regarding GOTM and SGOTM. That submissions page is top notch.

Keep up the good work fellas!

Mad-bax,

can you please correct my nick, I had to upload the SAVE under the wrong nick Leibnitz (correct is without the t)?

Leibniz said:
Mad-bax,

can you please correct my nick, I had to upload the SAVE under the wrong nick Leibnitz (correct is without the t)?
I have extracted your 't' ;)

As an experiment I have opened a spoiler for SGOTM2.
If it is abused I will close it and there will be no more.

Please adhere to the rules of the spoiler.
Thanks.

The link is >>HERE<<

Please nominate one person from your team to write up a summary of your game once you have met the terms of the spoiler.

Top Bottom