SGOTM3 Rome - Team Ankka

WackenOpenAir
shoe35
EL OSO
Jeff1787 - just played
waitingtoderail - UP
Ankka - on deck

Turn 1...310 AD...Paris...worker-Temple/Cumae...courthouse-knight.

Turn 2...320 AD...Lugdunum...library-knight/Antium...pikeman-knight. Gunpowder research is complete, now chemistry in 7.

Turn 3...330 AD...Traded world maps with England and they threw in 9 gold.

Turn 4...340 AD...Pisae...marketplace-knight. Someone built The Art of War, so Rome is now building Leonardo's Workshop. Traded world maps with Greece and they threw in 25 gold. Traded Education to America for world map, 12 gpt and 43 gold.

Turn 5...350 BC...Hispalis...marketplace-knight/Neapolis...library-knight/Byzantium...granary-library/Viroconium...forum-library.

Turn 6...360 AD...not much going on.

Turn 7...370 AD...Cumae...knight-/Veii...knight-/Lutetia...marketplace-library/Syracuse...library-marketplace.

Turn 8...380 AD...not much going on.

Turn 9...390 AD...Antium...knight-knight/Chartres...catapult-catapult. Chemistry is completed now metalurgy in 8. Traded chemistry and 200 gold to England for astronomy. Traded chemistry to Russia for furs, world map, 84 gold and 5 gpt. Traded chemistry to France for world map, 83 gold and 29 gpt.

Turn 10...400 AD...Lugdunum...knight-knight.

Our score is 816.

Here is the save.

Ok... so I'm up in 2 SG's. Oh well, let's see when I can get to this, should be today though.

Read mad-bax's post.

Nevermind what I said before, a wait might do good. :)

OK. Lets try to restore order here. The team now consists of 5 members, and the summer holiday season has played havoc with many of the teams.

I suggest the team takes a deep breath, and chill for a few days. Let waitingtoderail play on Wednesday and Thursday, and then Wackenopenair can play after that at the beginning of next week. After this few days are behind you it should be possible to settle back into a pattern.

If you guys need any help in keeping the game going, just contact me via PM and I'll help out as much as I can.

Don't have the opportunity to watch the save files yet, but science in 5/7 turns and increasing gpt deals looks good to me.

During the coming 20 turns, i think we need to prepare for a bit more conquest. This means we need to decide now who we will conquer first and make sure we make no new 20 turn deals with them so that we can go to war when the current deals expire without reputation problems.

Also did i not see any information about the other continent. Are scouting units rushed in there? anything discovered?

All I noticed on the new continent was a very large barbarian population from the galleys that passed close to the shores. Greece was having a fun time dealing with them.

As far as a good candidate for war, I think removing the greeks from the continent we're on is a good idea. It will secure our southern flank and allow us to focus our war efforts in a northerly direction.

Domination... not a bad idea, propably the fastest victory now.

Will dominating our own continnet be enough, or will we need to go to war over the seas?

Cant say for sure without having seen the whole map, but chances of our island being 66% are very small i think.

Playing domination style is also best for score, also if later on we dicide to go for space or UN.

I'll be on vacation for about a week. :cool:

All right, I didn't keep any kind of log, so here goes -

I took Seattle from the Americans. Very little fight, gained 6 or so workers. Waited 5-6 turns, made peace, got 10 gold and a world map. Several trades made, including Metalluragy to the Germans for 47 gold and 22pt. I've moved a good portion of our army south in anticipation of war with Greece. However, we are a bit weak on our Northern borders, please work on that in the next go round. Greece has at least swordsmen, we have just made our first musketman.

I bought a couple of techs, banking and music theory, so I dropped the slider a bit to build back up our gold. Except for Russia and Babalyon, we seem to be ahead of everyone else in techs, and we're neck and neck with them.

So it's my theory that that land isn't another continent at all, but just a narrow strip running the entire length of the map. What's on the other side? My guess is another continent. So domination will be tough. I think it's very doable, though.

Built a bunch of new roads and mines. I have a couple workers in enemy territory making roads. There are also two settlers moving towards the southernmost city (can't think right now) on the east coast, where a caravel awaits them. We should probably put more defense on the island city where Greece has the edge.

Anyway, heres the save and a screenshot. I'll probably take a bunch of flak, but I'm trying here!

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm3/Ankka_SG003_AD0500_01.SAV

Attachments

• 500ad.JPG
    500ad.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 98
Ok, just taking a look at the safe file.

A lot of yellow numbers on city size, indicating the cities arent growing. They lack aquaducts. It is very improtant to keep cities growing, so first thing when i am gonna play the turns is build aquaducts where needed.
Also some yellow numbers for smaller cities, will see what i can do to help those. Every city must keep growing.

i lower luxury from 30 to 10% and increase science to 70%. +8gpt remaining, tech in 3 turns.

i am not very happy with the current research path though. We dont need any of the techs in this optianal branch. I will complete printing press for trading it, but i ask you guys not to research demo and not even pay anything for it in trade. We dont need it. We don't need free artisry either. Economics is the only optional tech thats really interesting.
it is best to just research towards the next age and have the AI research the optionals for us.

I see there are still 4 french guys in paris. This worries me, we can still lose it to culture flip. I would have liked to starve it to only 1 guy before growing our own people in it.

Corinth is building millitairy units without a barracks. We should always only produce veterans. Some other cities seem to have produced regulars as well.

I see we don't have treaties with greece and babylon. I expect to start war with greece in my turns. England should probably be next, so i wont start any trades with them.

In the first 4 turns i hope to make a decision to proceed with cavalry or to go for cannons. Then decide whether to research MT. Seeing we are most powerfull nation on this map, most likely i will go for MT and hope to conquer some things with cavalry the coming centuries.

I see we are not getting any gpt deals anymore now. I hope our reputation is not harmed yet ?

Well, I got gpt for metallurgy...

OK, well, on free artistry, that may have been a mistake, but I think it's good to have things to trade...

My bad on the lack of a barracks, I'm not used to looking for it, I'll try and remember in the future.

I think things are going all right overall. :D

You want to play before me, Wacken?

I'm up in other SG's too I didn't get to play yesterday.

Top Bottom