SGOTM8 - Tim

I would just like to point out that as of 1750 we're in first place among the 8 or 9 mediocre teams! :king:

The other 4 are probably doing some kind of crazy population bursting schemes that aren't going to work in this scenario, because winning is by date. :goodjob:

I think we have this pretty much locked. :scan:

PS - whoever put my name in the SGOTM thing came up with a cool new name for me (preventing me from saving for awhile til I figured it out): JoeTheBlah!

Bye

Attachments

• winning 4th.bmp
    300.1 KB · Views: 167
Haha, they misspelled a lot of people's names. I think there's something like 80 people in total in this SGOTM.

Not too much can be made from the scoring yet. If anything it should show us that we're just as much in the hunt as every other team. Except maybe that purple team! Wow, what did they do to shoot so high up? :eek:

mr. Y -- On Deck if TBoy doesn't check in first
pindicator
SesnOfWthr
joethreeblah
TimBentley -- Up!
TBoy -- On Deck? Yet to check in

joethreeblah said:
PS - whoever put my name in the SGOTM thing came up with a cool new name for me (preventing me from saving for awhile til I figured it out): JoeTheBlah!

Sorry, I'm "whoever", and I've fixed the error. You should submit future saves using your correct name.

@pindicator: If you are aware of any other misspellings I'd appreciate your input. I did make a point of asking for feedback on the lists in the Sign-up thread, and only two or three errors were flagged up.

AlanH said:
Sorry, I'm "whoever", and I've fixed the error. You should submit future saves using your correct name.

@pindicator: If you are aware of any other misspellings I'd appreciate your input. I did make a point of asking for feedback on the lists in the Sign-up thread, and only two or three errors were flagged up.
:confused: :mischief: No offense calling you "whoever" :rolleyes: :blush:

I kind of like Joe - THE BLAH! :cool:

AlanH said:

Sorry AlanH, I didn't really catch that myself. I've double checked and everyone else's name seems to be correct. Of course, I can't speak for Tboy because he hasn't even spoken for himself yet! :p

:)
Finally we're rolling.
Welcome back Tim. Had a good holiday? (I presume it was a holiday.)

So, the current issues - as already mentioned by pindicator:
1) Move workers north - improve NY!!!

2) Adjust slider to 50% research. We'll finish research on writing next turn. Don't forget to try to sell/trade it. We need to discuss what to research next. The choices are:
a) Bronze Working to get to Iron Working
b) The road to Monarchy
c) The road to Republic
d) anything else :)

3) Send the settler north and settle our 4th city. Am I mistaken or does pindicator's suggested location settle us in the jungle?

4) I propose building a second granary pronto in either NY or Boston and devote that city to workerbuilding. We're going to need a lot of them to clear all that jungle and building a granary now will benefit us a lot in the long run.

I have a hunch that the map might look something like this:

\\ /^\ /^_
|| \ . \ \ \
| | \ \ \ \ \ \
| \_| | \ \ | |
\____/ | || /
. . . . . \-_/

If you understand what I mean. (I hope this doesn't come out all garbled.)

mr. Y said:
3) Send the settler north and settle our 4th city. Am I mistaken or does pindicator's suggested location settle us in the jungle?

Exactly correct. :) This way it still has the BG tile to the NE that it can work immediately, and also fits in very well with NY's cultural borders.

As for tech, we want republic. When we do war against the AI it will be short and crushing. And our ultimate goal is to quickly research to get to Helos, so republic is our train to ride there.

ALL C3C TEAMS PLEASE NOTE:

The SGOTM framework for C3C has the following changes from the out-of-the-box rules:

- aluminium will appear when you research fission instead of rocketry
- uranium will appear when you research computers instead of fission

These mods were also in SGOTM 6 and 7 as well, but didn't really affect anyone. This game could be different :D

AlanH said:
ALL C3C TEAMS PLEASE NOTE:

The SGOTM framework for C3C has the following changes from the out-of-the-box rules:

- aluminium will appear when you research fission instead of rocketry
- uranium will appear when you research computers instead of fission

These mods were also in SGOTM 6 and 7 as well, but didn't really affect anyone. This game could be different :D
I guess there is an advantage to playing slow. Let everyone else work out the bugs.

I kind of like Joe - THE BLAH! :scan:

mr. Y said:
Welcome back Tim. Had a good holiday? (I presume it was a holiday.)
Actually, I was at home between working on Mackinac Island and going to college (for marching band camp). The home computer doesn't have the latest patch, and my laptop has no way to access the internet there. But it was some nice relaxation time, nevertheless.

1750(0): Are Greece and China at war?
Switch New York to worker, Boston to barracks (we already have enough reg warriors)
science to 50%

IBT: learn writing, start on code of laws at 100% research
sell writing to China for the wheel, warrior code, bronze working, 43g
buy ceremonial burial from Greece for writing, 1g (clearly they were researching it)
both know iron working; China knows mysticism

1725(1): I believe the southern warrior has found the end of the penisula
There are horses on that tantalizingly close island, by Shanghai, and on the rubble up north

IBT: southern warrior survives barb attack

1700(2): southern warrior dies attacking barb camp

1675(3): northern warrior disperses barb camp

1650(4): zzz

IBT: Greece demands 24g, I give in
New York worker->worker

1625(5): lux to 10%
found Philadelphia in recommended spot, start on worker

IBT: Washington settler->warrior

1600(6): lux to 20%
northern warrior meets Toltec barb

1575(7): transfered a warrior from Washington to Boston, lux to 0%
get an extra gold in Washington

IBT: northern warrior survives barb attack; another barb died attacking the fog

1550(8): lux to 20%
:wallbash: 0+2+1-1=2, not 3 (desert olives shouldn't be irrigated)

IBT: Washington warrior->settler
New York worker->granary

1525(9): lux to 0%

1500(10): lux to 10%

Notes: Keep Washington at 5fpt until the settler is produced
The following settler should be produced in 4 turns, finishing as Washington grows to size 6
Following that, Washington can be a 5-turn settler factory
At size 4, it should work the lamb, BG, and 2 plains for 2 turns, then the lamb, a floodplain, the BG, and a plain for 1 turn
At size 5, it should work the lamb, 2 floodplains, the BG, and a plain for 2 turns
That produces an extra shield, so you should be able to get an extra gold at some point (probably one of the first two turns work a floodplain)

There's a settler in the north ready to go somewhere
Research philosophy after code of laws

Here is the save.

mr. Y -- up
pindicator - on deck
SesnOfWthr
joethreeblah
TimBentley -- just played
TBoy?

I'll try to play before the weekend.
I plan to:
- keep the settler factory running
- keep an eye on the lux slider
- use NY for workers (after granary finishes)
- All other cities: barracks first, then military
- try to trade techs with Greece or China

Any further instructions?

TimBentley said:
The following settler should be produced in 4 turns, finishing as Washington grows to size 6
I was thinking this sounded wrong last night, and if I've recalculated correctly, this would be short 2 shields. To finish the settler in 4 turns, it would need to be at 2fpt at size 5 for three turns.

You can either produce a warrior after the current settler (this would be 5 turns at 2fpt at size 5) or produce a warrior after the settler after that (this would be 2 turns at 2fpt at size 3). Either should get the settler factory in the proper position at size 4.

Nice turns Tim! I can't believe I wasn't thinking about the FP earlier; I thought DC couldn't grow faster than 3fpt. :rolleyes: But you definitely have a better settler factory drawn up.

What school do you march for? I just got suckered back to do the alumni band at Oregon State. Well, it's free admission for a few games, so it wasn't too hard a decision :p

Okay, looking at the save:

About the settler factory...

If we can find a BG underneath one of those forests, we can get a 4-turn settler factory going at pop 5-6. In fact, I think what we could do if for three circuits run a 4 turn settler-factory at pop 4-5 and time a worker chop to pick up 10 shields. If we find a BG, we can talk about changing the factory structure. This only applies to the forests east of DC; the one south is on a plains tile.

When the worker on the forest tile finishes roading, i would chop and then mine for a shield boost for DC. It currently isn't working the forest, so now is the best time. In fact, by stopping him now you can save an additional turn on the whole process (4 turns left to road + 4 turns to chop vs. 1 turn interrupted + 4 turns to chop + 2 turns to road).

Where's the next settler going? Do we want to tighten our cities in the north as we get closer to Greece and China? Or do we want to grab as much land with each city?

And we seem to be in good shape for a Republic slingshot. Keep on CoL as fast as you can and then do the same with Philo and hopefully we'll get to republic within the next 15 or so turns.

-----------------
I was thinking this sounded wrong last night, and if I've recalculated correctly, this would be short 2 shields. To finish the settler in 4 turns, it would need to be at 2fpt at size 5 for three turns.

You can either produce a warrior after the current settler (this would be 5 turns at 2fpt at size 5) or produce a warrior after the settler after that (this would be 2 turns at 2fpt at size 3). Either should get the settler factory in the proper position at size 4.

If we can find a BG underneath one of those forests, we can get a 4-turn settler factory going at pop 5-6. In fact, I think what we could do if for three circuits run a 4 turn settler-factory at pop 4-5 and time a worker chop to pick up 10 shields. If we find a BG, we can talk about changing the factory structure. This only applies to the forests east of DC; the one south is on a plains tile.

0+2+1-1=2, not 3 (desert olives shouldn't be irrigated)
----------------
I might be more usefull later on if I could understand any of these paragraphs.

Well, I can try to explain two of them for you, Joe. The great thing about SGs is that they are great learning tools for any level of player. The first two are Tim's calculations and I'm too lazy to check them. :p

Tim was talking about food with the numbers for the desert tile: 0 = base desert food, 2 = bonus given from the olives, 1 = bonus given from irrigating, and -1 is because in Despotism government any tile that earns 3 of anything, be it food, commerce, or shields, suffers a penalty of 1. So 0+2+1-1=2 is the total food we get from irrigating the desert tile. In other words, irrigation on that tile does nothing while we are in a despotism.

4-turn settler factories are the optimum for pumping out settlers, at least early in the game. Currently, if we were to start a settler running 5 food per turn in DC it would work 2 floodplain tiles, the irrigated lamb tile, the mined BG tile, and a plains. We'd have a production chart that looks like this:

turn |food | pop | shields
0 | 0 | 5 | 0
1 | 5 | 5 | 5
2 | 10 | 6 | 12
3 | 5 | 6 | 18
4 | 10 | 7 |26

in other words, after 4 turns, DC would grow the 2 population needed to produce a settler, but would be 4 shields short. (If you want me to explain the chart in greater detail, just ask.)

Now if we were to chop those trees east of DC, there is a chance there would be a BG tile under one of them. Then we can mine and road the BG tile in and work it in light of the plains, so at pop 5 DC would be working the lamb, 2 floodplains, and 2 BGs. The chart would then look like this:

turn |food | pop | shields
0 | 0 | 5 | 0
1 | 5 | 5 | 6
2 | 10 | 6 | 14
3 | 5 | 6 | 21
4 | 10 | 7 |30

Giving us a settler every four turns.

Top Bottom