Share Your First BNW Experiences Here

Im really overwhelmed. Im surprised there aren't more threads on this. there is just soooooooooooooooooo much now, stuff like tourism almost gives me a headache. the wonders are all just so good that it sort of took away some of that......I don't know, what made wonders feel special.

Im sure ill get used to it, but as of now, I am just very much struggling to adjust due to so many small changes like changes in the tech tree, to trade routes....

Agreed. All the new stuff is overwhelming. In the past I played my way out of it. But this time around I will have to consult the many great LPers for a bit of guidance

oh, and one of my biggest sad face moments, since I didn't read the details as they were released on BNW, was learning that ocean and river tiles no longer provide gold. this made me sad, mostly because it now becomes more about finding mountains than desirable beach locations or a sweet river in the jungle.

I think later game ocean trade is more valuable than land trade though.

Think of it this way, instead of getting river and ocean gold for free you actually have to go out and get it now with trade routes. I think river cities get a trade route boost and coastal cities will reach afther and more diverse cities.

Think of it this way, instead of getting river and ocean gold for free you actually have to go out and get it now with trade routes. I think river cities get a trade route boost and coastal cities will reach afther and more diverse cities.

And that's when you'll start hating your inland sea even more mid-game.

Can i claim the title of first to get Indonesia's achievement for capturing a capital with a Kris Swordsman that has the Enemy Blade promotion?

Sea resources also improve to a greater extent than in vanilla/G&k. My whales, from memory, produced at least three of each resource with all upgrades plus God of the Sea.

If I can get a screenshot up later I'll show you Jakarta as it was in my last game. This was a city that for most of the game could create settlers in 1-2 turns, and it didn't even have Petra (despite being all desert outside the sea).

My first impressions of BNW were very good. Even though I didn't have much time to play, I wanted to test it out. I chose Assyria and ended up playing for two hours.

1) I found the barbarians much more numerous. Two encampments were nearby and I had my hands full dealing with them very quickly. I used my scout turned archer and a warrior to fight them off after having my marble quarry burned. In Gods and Kings from experience, I have never had such an early barbarian invasion.

2) I built a caravan to test it out. The caravan moves automatically each turn. I chose the nearby city state of Buenos Aires and ended with plus 2 gold per turn because of it. Obviously I will choose a much more lucrative route as the game progressed. Very cool the auto move, and also was very aware of keeping barbarians away from it.

3) Piety is available from the beginning of the game, and it has improved capabilities but initial impression is that Tradition (or maybe Liberty) is still the best choices .

I had to quit at this point

Moderator Action: Merged with the main "first impressons" thread.

Sea resources also improve to a greater extent than in vanilla/G&k. My whales, from memory, produced at least three of each resource with all upgrades plus God of the Sea.
yep, lighthouses add +1 hammer to sea resource tiles now. It's quite nice for those seafood starts.

I too only had a while to play BNW. I chose Morocco and quickly expanded in the desert area. My neighbor was Shaka of the Zulus and he turned out to be super aggressive and VERY VERY expansive. When I managed to get 3 cities, he was already onto 6, and this was on King (just to get used to BNW)

I found some things a bit irritating, like not trading resources for gold anymore. The only way to do so was to set up a DoF. Since I wanted to be warmonger, and the Zulus were aggressive, no trading took place.

The thing that I didn't like about the caravans was that they lasted 30 turns. And within 30 turns, I didn't need food to my second city for instance. So I wish it could have been manually canceled. But then again, it would be considered exploiting again, so I guess it's fine.

The game itself seemed a bit more challenging, but that is because of micro managing your cities EVEN MORE, due to trade routes and tourism. I seemed to like everything, but the game just dragged on for a couple of hours, until the real thing kicked in.

I have yet to get to industrial era and get to my ideologies, but I bet it will be super fun.

The only downfall right now is getting pissed of at barbarians 10x more than before, simply because of trade routes. Which sucks because I remember in G&K always setting up the barbs to raging.

However, much much more "stuff" added to civ with BNW, so it's very exciting. Right now it seems hard, but I guess it takes some getting used to, and then it should be easy enough.

Bad for carthage though. No more hammers with their free harbour ..

Relative to other civs, yeah it's more of a level playing field now with regard to early production. But the hammers will still come earlier than before...you want to build a lighthouse anyway in those situations. Lighthouses can be built faster than compass gets researched. And the harbor still has significant bonuses for trade routes which will be pretty nice.

Has "taking" a CS always gotten rid of the unique resource? I am trying my first game as Venice and to my surprise the jewelry resource was totally removed when I bought the city state as Venice.

Has "taking" a CS always gotten rid of the unique resource? I am trying my first game as Venice and to my surprise the jewelry resource was totally removed when I bought the city state as Venice.

Since a patch in the summer or fall, yes.

Playing as China. Had absolutely no problem with gold since I settled near 3 truffles plus paper maker it's alright. No trade routes though and my continent is deserted with only 3 city states and Gajah Mada. I don't know what he's doing but I think he actually settled across the ocean since he has Colossus. Reading all the new wonders and not knowing wtf they do is a pain. Culture makes no sense to me but really fun. Haven't seen trade routes. Load times are a bit longer. AI still bad at war.

:king: Hello all! I hope those of you who have been playing the past dozen hours or so are having a lot of fun. I know I am.

I thought I'd do a little write-up of some general things I've noticed in regards to AI and the like... try and generate some discussion and compare experiences regarding this topic. I've got 2 and half games under my belt so far. Also, feel free to post anything you find particularly noteworthy... things that you didn't expect to happen, has it already changed your playstyle, and so on and so forth. Should satiate some of our European and worldly brethren who have to wait another couple days.

Here are some things I've noticed so far:

~ You're forced to make tougher choices earlier on in the game... tougher and sooner than you had to in G&K. Part of this is because important things that you'll quite simply need at some point are scattered throughout the tech-tree. You can't really say, "Oh, yeah, I'll get that later" and continue on about your business. There are things located throughout the tech tree that will force you to divert from your chosen tech path sooner and more frequently than you used to. Still trying to figure out how to react to this change.

~ In general the AI seems much improved. I've noticed some people surprised at how much war there wasn't in their games, and some noting how surprised they were that there was so much war in their games. In my games, the AI has reacted in ways that make more sense than they did in G&K. There seems to be a concerted effort made by most to maintain peace, AND there seem to be moments when peace is just not an option for the AI based on a multitude of diplomatic modifiers. Either way, I'm happy with it so far. I will say this, the AI barbarians seem to be more aggressive. They actually attack my cities on a fairly regular basis now, and they plunder any unprotected trade routes. They are much more of a consideration for me than they used to be. The AI also seems to have wised up in regard to warfare. I actually see archer and siege units behind infantry and cavalry units now... so, that's a good sign. Not sure about naval warfare... haven't done any of that yet. Maybe someone else can speak to this?

Those are my big takeaways so far. I'll definitely have a few more as I get deeper and deeper into the game. But, please feel free to add your two cents here. :goodjob:

Moderator Action: Merged with the main "first impressions" thread.

~ You're forced to make tougher choices earlier on in the game...

I agree with you on this part. You have to choose between going religious, cultural, and militaristic. The strategy is even more distinguishable now with each policy tree becoming pre-requisite for some wonders.

I also noticed that early iron revealing in Bronze Working quite changes strategy alot, it makes game faster and more dynamic. Interesting.

One biggest change to World Wonder is Terracota Army. It used to give huge cultural boost. Now its effect is huge plus to military. It gives copy of your current army, which can be deadly if you plan to attack soon, although steep upkeep means bad for the economy.

Overall, I really like the expansion. Well done!

Top Bottom