Share Your First BNW Experiences Here

I played as Indonesia, for a while then quit. The new resources show up in the town center just like the old release meracntiles.

Just started playing and I'm wondering why none of my trade routes are sending out religious pressure. Is there some prerequisite technology or belief I'm missing?

trade routes only send religious pressure to cities to far to get normal religious pressure from each other (ie distance 10 or less, 13 or less with Inteneran preachers.)

I played as Indonesia, for a while then quit. The new resources show up in the town center just like the old release meracntiles.

What if you settle on a luxury?

Not liking the fact that I can't trade for gold without a declaration of friendship. Also, for AI that are neutral, they aren't give me a 1 for 1 trade of both of our extra resources.

thats to get rid of the exploit of getting a bunch of cash early from the AI

I had a screenshot crash, and one other person on this forum claimed the same thing. I suspect it's a bug.

It's a funny bug because you would think that reviewers and beta-testers would catch it since taking screenshots would be useful for both of their objectives.

I akways pressed printscreen for a screenshot and not F12

Can't believe someone played germany as their first roll with so many new civ features!

Actually, it's almost tempting me. Barbarian units are much more varied, they're no longer denied units that require resources (I've seen barbarian horsemen and swordsmen - which makes me wonder what the point of the hand-axe, supposedly a replacement for the resource-demanding chariot archer, is), and they have the full naval progression (though that won't affect Germany). It's likely to affect Germany's style more than I supposed.

I think it's just chance. Difficulty level doesn't play a role in map generation.

Question for you Americans who already have the chance to play the game:
Has anybody had the chance to play as Indonesia and found a town on another continent? It was never clear how those new luxuries got generated - in the town centre? Next to it? They cannot be destroyed, so they are already 'improved' right away? :confused:

They're not visible - the only way to identify you have them is to check your happiness and see what luxuries you have access to (or open a trade screen with another civ). You don't get a notification saying that you have them. Since the city can't be razed there's no way of telling whether they spawn under the city, but I suspect they have no graphical assets. They definitely don't spawn next to it.

In my experience so far the unique resources don't trigger CS requests or We Love the King demands either, the way porcelain and jewelry do.

Hmm, I was thinking of finding them on the map - it didn't occur to me to look at the city square resource yield.

I akways pressed printscreen for a screenshot and not F12

It was late last night and I couldn't remember which one it was, so I hit both in sequence, then the game crashed and I took it as my cue to hit the hay.

F12 is the default Steam screenshot key. All games in Steam can be screenshot using F12 if you didn't change it. Firaxis went ahead and decided to put their quickload button on F12 too. This is a stupid mistake. It's soon gonna be 3 years since release and they can't be bothered apparently.

I personally switched my default Steam screenshot key to a rarely used mouse button I have. Now I can take screenshots more quickly in action games.

Tried something silly, did Venice with Liberty. It works a lot better than I thought, faster workers and three Merchants of Venice pretty quickly (2 from Liberty, one from Optics). I was able to get a few city states and bought granaries, then started shipping food to Venice, good times!

Well, almost done with my first game and I can safely say that spawning next to mt kilo might be the easiest military victory ever (though having the zulu and france next to you balances the bonus well) I switched to cultural victory shortly after knocking heads with Napoleon. and the culture is probably my favorite part of the expansion, it has depth, flavor, nudity, and poetry. everything you could ever want. 10/10

PS. Pathfinders are awesome, and not just for the ability

So basicly warmonger penalty hasn't changed? Or does it have a other meaning the modifier

It looks like it has changed a little. Apparently there are "tolerant" civs but I didn't notice any mention of her "tolerating warmongers" until that last message. I'm guessing as long as you don't kill off a civ the tolerant types might be less likely to to denounce? It looks like that's what's going on anyway.

Started up a game with the new Native American dude set to Huge/Prince/Epic/Continents to see how things work out. I like his big land plots. The Pathfinder is pretty cool. I imagine someone will make a mod to add the ability to choose what you want to everything. One thing I didn't like is that some of the options confused me. Example, it said discover a great prophet and all it did was give me some Faith. Not bad but I thought it was going to give me a great prophet.

It's still early and I only have three cities but it doesn't feel like the game is brutally punishing me on happiness for not playing one-city challenge like it used to. Trade routes seem straight enough. I didn't know you could send food. That's kinda cool, especially because I don't think it's reducing that actual food count from the city it's coming from (it might, I didn't check but I didn't notice a massive slowdown in turns till expansion).

I'm just now getting to the Writing Guild so there's still tons more to go. Enjoying it so far and I don't think I'm at the point where you really get to the massive changes yet.

Defensive Wars still count as Warmongers.

Started a game as Shoshone on Small Continents with 7 of the other new leaders, but I forgot to turn off Random personalities (oops) and also forgot to go down to Emporer. So far it's been pretty great, except for some reason every city state I meet only has one wine luxury. Here's some screenshots for proof.

Attachments

• 2013-07-09_00001.jpg
    2013-07-09_00001.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 337
  • 2013-07-09_00002.jpg
    2013-07-09_00002.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 290
this was cool. I saw King Solomon's Mines in my game. it is a world wonder that gives +6 hammers. Spain would be really awesome with that (if they didnt change their UA).

I played as Assyria for about 115 turns. Siege Towers are pretty powerful but I was playing at Emperor so it wasnt really hard anyway. I took 2 cities with just 3 comp bows, 1 Tower, and 1 warrior. each city took 3 turns to take. I later added a 2nd tower to be bait on the 2nd city. It was the only unit i lost. I settled 3 total cities by t80 and had NC by t105 (later than i wanted but i wasnt playing really focused or slowly). When I took my 2 cities i got Sailing and Bronze Working from the UA.

I didnt realize that Caravans would physically travel back and forth. I also wasnt sure how they occupied tiles. I adjusted movement several times to avoid stacking civilians before I realized it didnt matter. i also saw barbarians not harassing my caravans. im also curious if roads affect their travel patterns or pace. will i get +4 food more often? didnt play long enough to find this out. I'll get more game time later tonight and tomorrow.

this was cool. I saw King Solomon's Mines in my game. it is a world wonder that gives +6 hammers. Spain would be really awesome with that (if they didnt change their UA).

I played as Assyria for about 115 turns. Siege Towers are pretty powerful but I was playing at Emperor so it wasnt really hard anyway. I took 2 cities with just 3 comp bows, 1 Tower, and 1 warrior. each city took 3 turns to take. I later added a 2nd tower to be bait on the 2nd city. It was the only unit i lost. I settled 3 total cities by t80 and had NC by t105 (later than i wanted but i wasnt playing really focused or slowly). When I took my 2 cities i got Sailing and Bronze Working from the UA.

I didnt realize that Caravans would physically travel back and forth. I also wasnt sure how they occupied tiles. I adjusted movement several times to avoid stacking civilians before I realized it didnt matter. i also saw barbarians not harassing my caravans. im also curious if roads affect their travel patterns or pace. will i get +4 food more often? didnt play long enough to find this out. I'll get more game time later tonight and tomorrow.

I checked the Civilopedia, and roads appear to have no interaction with trade routes at all. Caravan bonuses are per turn, so you wouldn't get any increase in their frequency.

im noticing the need for more units to protect the caravan

Im really overwhelmed. Im surprised there aren't more threads on this. there is just soooooooooooooooooo much now, stuff like tourism almost gives me a headache. the wonders are all just so good that it sort of took away some of that......I don't know, what made wonders feel special.

Im sure ill get used to it, but as of now, I am just very much struggling to adjust due to so many small changes like changes in the tech tree, to trade routes....

Ive also noticed that barbs are almost unbelievable now. if your scout is 2 tiles away, they will LEAVE their camp and attack you. then a 2nd barb unit will spawn, I played a game where somehow a barb unit went THREE tiles, I have no idea how, why....it was unbelievable. he just skipped right over...I think its the spawn thing, it spawned them on top of a unit, so it moved them further, they had 2 moves that turn and all of a sudden its a 3 move turn for a unit that didn't exist previously.

I feel like more than ever, getting up an early siege, early meat shields, and early range are key because due to the insane barb spawn rate, Im finding you almost need to send 2 units together to take out some barb encamps. and if you aren't taking advantage of the promotions you are wasting your time. its just really hard to be like "oh Im going to make a barracks now" when there are like....25 other things id rather build.

oh, and one of my biggest sad face moments, since I didn't read the details as they were released on BNW, was learning that ocean and river tiles no longer provide gold. this made me sad, mostly because it now becomes more about finding mountains than desirable beach locations or a sweet river in the jungle.

Top Bottom