Should acromyns be censored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

classical_hero

In whom I trust
I am thinking that since we do not allow swearing on these forums that we should censor any acronym that would contain swearing, such as wtf and omfg. I am sure we all know what the f stands for, o why are we allowed to do that and yet not speel out the whole words?

Because they're minced oaths, and are not nearly as offensive as spelling it out. They are independent of the curse words it is composed of. Besides, you can include minced oaths within the acronym, such as "What the frack?" or "Oh my friggin' god!"

What's so bad about saying what the fudge or oh my friendly god?

The f in wtf is a more of an emphasize on the strangeness/importance of the situation rather than a literal meaning.

At least thats how I see it.

There isn't really anything to replace wtf with (afaik). Its become part of the common vocabulary of the internet and not usually used in an offensive way.

The f in wtf is a more of an emphasize on the strangeness/importance of the situation rather than a literal meaning.

At least thats how I see it.

There isn't really anything to replace wtf with (afaik). Its become part of the common vocabulary of the internet and not usually used in an offensive way.

It is also per of the common vocab of most people in person too.
I hear "double-you-tee-eff" a lot out on the street :D

And QFT (most people know the meaning of that one, but I just found out, used to think it meant "quoted for truth")

It is also per of the common vocab of most people in person too.
I hear "double-you-tee-eff" a lot out on the street :D

And QFT (most people know the meaning of that one, but I just found out, used to think it meant "quoted for truth")

Wait.. It doesn't mean "quoted for truth"???

It does mean "quoted for truth"... :confused: ???

I do agree with classical_hero, though - it's inconsistent as is. It can't be perfect, but if someone really means to say, "Where's the fudge?" they can write it out. A judgement call would have to be made on ones that usually didn't stand for something offensive, but could, such as "FTW" - For The Win, usually, but sometimes something to do with the world. And apparently QFT, though I have no idea what the other meaning is.

Hmmm... maybe 'quoted for truth' is the commonly associated phrase with QFT...

But I used to think it meant, "quite XXXXing true"

It does mean "quoted for truth"... :confused: ???

I do agree with classical_hero, though - it's inconsistent as is. It can't be perfect, but if someone really means to say, "Where's the fudge?" they can write it out. A judgement call would have to be made on ones that usually didn't stand for something offensive, but could, such as "FTW" - For The Win, usually, but sometimes something to do with the world. And apparently QFT, though I have no idea what the other meaning is.

How is it inconsistent? It's rather simple - the use of the term as an acronym isn't offensive or obscene, and this objectionability is independent of the curse word. It is, as I said before, akin to a minced oath - the use of the acronym is less objectionable than the word it substitutes. If you demand censoring of words just because they "stand for something that is offensive" then you have to censor all minced oaths, and that would be silly.

In my head when I read the word, I don't even parse it as vulgar. I pronounce it in my head as something akin to /wə.ðɨ.fə/ and don't connect it directly to the curse word.

It's silly to censor minced oaths and acromyns.

Because they're minced oaths, and are not nearly as offensive as spelling it out. They are independent of the curse words it is composed of. Besides, you can include minced oaths within the acronym, such as "What the frack?" or "Oh my friggin' god!"

Basically those two words used in place of the"f" word are almost like swearing, since we use it to replace a swear word, so in effect it becomes a swear word.

Basically those two words used in place of the"f" word are almost like swearing, since we use it to replace a swear word, so in effect it becomes a swear word.

...no, it doesn't, because the reason why minced oaths are used in the first place is because they're less offensive than using swears. The entire point why curse words are so taboo enough to be censored is because they're offensive enough to not be heard, not specifically because of what they are used in! Minced oaths have the same grammatical function, but the usage of the terms are not offensive, so they are not censored. They serve a very useful purpose by filling a void that the taboo prohibits.

And besides, WTF/OMFG have very specific uses not really connected to the more general usage of the swear.

As I said before, do you want to censor all minced oaths? Shall we censor "shoot" or "butt" or "crud" or "black people"?

...seriously wtf?

I, for one, support consistant rules.

However, I also immensely dislike Bill.

This is truly what was envisioned in Sophie's Choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom