Should I deactivate all the mods I use prior to Gathering Storm?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by shmily_dana, Feb 6, 2019.

1. shmily_dana

shmily_dana Warlord

Probably a silly question. I did not use mods a lot until recently. I have a bunch installed. So I am wondering if I should toggle them all "off" before the expansion drops. I know there will be issues until they are all updated. I don't want to play with any for a while. My concern is that I don't want to break the installation of the expansion if I remove them after.

What does one typically do?

2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

At the very least I would disable all your mods the day before. It's almost a guarantee that most of them will be broken with the update.

I've always completely unsubscribed from all Steam mods, removed all my manual mods, & for good measure verified the integrity of the game files. Perhaps overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Once the game has updated and I've played several games, I then start adding mods back into the game that I feel are still necessary and have been updated to be compatible with the update.

raen likes this.
  3. Cosmic Fox

Cosmic Fox Civ 6 Addict - TB Mod Collaborator

You can keep certain cosmetic mods but the main ones must all go! This is a completely new rewrite of the base game to add in the world disaster events. I normally remove all and add back in a few non game play effecting mods after I have new update installed. Expect most mods will not work at all or they will seriously screw up the new things in the game possibly making it annoying. I recommend playing the game as I feel most of the new things that the expansion offers is finally a great addition to this new offering for us long time civ players. This update is much like the old civ 4 I loved so very much due to the fantastic modding abilities!! :D Enjoy above all else.. the best strategy game just got a face lift making it a great game again.. IMO.. Civ 5 was not very good for old vets like myself since 1996-1998 :p

4. Laurana Kanan

I wouldn't keep any of them enabled/subscribed/installed since we don't know exactly which files/code will be affected and to what extent. But just from the LPs and LSs it can be seen the changes are extensive.

5. shmily_dana

shmily_dana Warlord

I unsubscribed them all and verified the integrity of the game files as you recommended. I played about 100 turns and no issues. So I am ready for the expansion. Thanks for your advice.

6. PoundedChicken

PoundedChicken Chieftain

GS It deactivates all mods that don't expressly tell the game that they're compatible now. You can override it though.

7. criZp

criZp Emperor

do you know how to flag one's own mod as GS-compatible?

8. Laurana Kanan

criZp and raen like this.
  9. criZp

criZp Emperor

ok, thanks, that worked.

but what does the 2.0 refer to? because current game version number is not 2.0

10. raen

raen Coat of Arms

Probably referring to the second expansion

11. purringcat

purringcat Chieftain

Following this info, I activated Civitas City States and Resources mods and have had no issues with the game because of that.