Should Sweden attack Libya?

Sweden has internationally-deployable air assets?

Well unless you get in there, they'll only be seeing the performance of the Rafale and the American-made fighters.

I should note, and I hate doing this, my comments along these lines are sarcastic -- the last thing America needs is more competition in arms dealing.
It doesn't matter if you're sarcastic, it's still one of the few and almost irrelevant, but maybe positive things that could be found for a Swede, moral reasons excluded.

JAS 39 Gripen

You'de be amazed at the amount of NATO-standards that have been integrated. It would require an Italian landing strip though.

It doesn't matter if you're sarcastic, it's still one of the few and almost irrelevant, but maybe positive things that could be found for a Swede, moral reasons excluded.

I actually think it's very relevant. Hypothetically, you could be talking billions of euros in sales. I question if that rational would work on your voting population, but the politicians are probably keenly aware of the potential.

You guys don't even have your own jets. You just used your oil to buy american ones.

Has the Gripen even seen combat? Might as well have a proven plane.

Kind of a sore point with the Swedish arms industry. For domestic policy reasons technically it can't sell its stuff to anyone who might actually use it in anger...;)

Yes. Time for neutrality to end and join NATO :p

For what it's worth, the Swedish Defence has really gotten better at marketing. For example, in the Public Trans and the train themselves, there are posters saying:

"RUN FROM ONE TRAIN-STATION TO THE NEXT AND BACK"
"JUDGE HOW MANY DIFFERENT RELIGIONS ARE BEING REPRESENTED IN THIS TRAIN"
"CONVINCE A COMPLETE STRANGER TO LEND YOU THEIR PHONE"

And then they have smaller texts like:

"As a soldier, you will need to be able to convince the locals to cooperate with you. Enlist now."

All in all, they seem to be trying to increase the status of soldiers and seamen by making them a little more ninja-like. These kinds of posters didn't exist when I was a kid (at least AFAIR), which reflects that something is changing.

I actually think it's very relevant. Hypothetically, you could be talking billions of euros in sales. I question if that rational would work on your voting population, but the politicians are probably keenly aware of the potential.

Getting the contracts for Brazil and India takes more money and political power than showing you've got the best plane. ..but it might not hurt to show them off. If they do well, that is.

Swedish military can't even afford phones for their soldiers? No wonder that you guys prefer to stay neutral...

Uh no? The whole poster looks something like this:

CONVINCE A COMPLETE STRANGER TO LEND YOU THEIR PHONE

As a soldier, you will need to be able to convince the locals to cooperate with you. Enlist now.

Keep in mind that the poster is urging you to go to some random person on the train and convince them to let them lend you their phone. It's not saying "As a soldier, you will need to be able to convince locals to lend you their phone."

He's joking, Yared. Then again, why am I trying to stop Scandinavian bickering? It's entertaining. :mischief:

Anyway, if Sweden did send planes, where would they likely to be based in?

Anyway, if Sweden did send planes, where would they likely to be based in?

Italy? Most of the logistics and refueling support will probably come from the bigger European nations. I guess Spain could work too but I don't actually know if they're getting in on this.

Uh no? The whole poster looks something like this:

CONVINCE A COMPLETE STRANGER TO LEND YOU THEIR PHONE
As a soldier, you will need to be able to convince the locals to cooperate with you. Enlist now.

Keep in mind that the poster is urging you to go to some random person on the train and convince them to let them lend you their phone. It's not saying "As a soldier, you will need to be able to convince locals to lend you their phone."

Yeah, I get it. ;) Anyway, does it really say "Enlist now"? That kinda seems like the wrong signal to send. Shouldn't they be encouraging people to consider the situation well and make an informed choice before they decide if they want to join the military? "Enlist now" sounds like something on a poster from 1914.

contre said:
Denmark sent 4 F16s. You don't want to be upstaged by Danes, do you?
Volum said:
We're sending 6!

Norway Power!
contre said:
Sweden, this is just getting embarrassing. :shake:
Derrick CB said:
Not looking good Sweden. Your being upstaged by all the other Scandinavians. I bet Finland will send 8 F16s.
You're telling me they are deploying their forces where...? Hmm, maybe time has come for us to deal with our own rebels once and for all :hmm:

Joking aside, foreigners inciting Scandinavians against each other is a continuing historical curse. Lookie here :mad:
SS-18 ICBM said:
Then again, why am I trying to stop Scandinavian bickering? It's entertaining. :mischief:
on topic...
Loppan Torkel said:
UN-responsibility needs to be divided into smaller regions. UN nations closer to Libya should be forced to take a greater responsibility in that mess.
I'm not a great fan of neighbouring states being used for UN missions, there's always a risk of conflict of interest. Russias "peace forces" in South Ossetia can be used as an example.

Yeah, I get it. ;) Anyway, does it really say "Enlist now"? That kinda seems like the wrong signal to send. Shouldn't they be encouraging people to consider the situation well and make an informed choice before they decide if they want to join the military? "Enlist now" sounds like something on a poster from 1914.

It might be saying "Apply now"... :mischief:

I'll look for a poster tomorrow and find an exact wording. ;)

I'm not a great fan of neighbouring states being used for UN missions, there's always a risk of conflict of interest. Russias "peace forces" in South Ossetia can be used as an example.
Well, there has to be some sense in selecting the nations. "The Big Satan" and the other smaller satans don't have to intervene again and again where there's an obvious clash of cultures.

I honestly don't think there needed here, it would be more beneficial to see Morocco or another Arab/Islamic country get involved.

Swedish involvement or support of the coalition's attack on Libya would probably be appreciated by most of the international community (unless the attack blows over), but I don't foresee any significant contributions Sweden can actually make beyond moral support and logistics.

Top Bottom