1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Sweden attack Libya?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Loppan Torkel, Mar 20, 2011.

1. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Sweden has internationally-deployable air assets?

2. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

It doesn't matter if you're sarcastic, it's still one of the few and almost irrelevant, but maybe positive things that could be found for a Swede, moral reasons excluded.

JAS 39 Gripen

3. Verbose

Verbose Deity

You'de be amazed at the amount of NATO-standards that have been integrated. It would require an Italian landing strip though.

4. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

You guys don't even have your own jets. You just used your oil to buy american ones.

5. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I actually think it's very relevant. Hypothetically, you could be talking billions of euros in sales. I question if that rational would work on your voting population, but the politicians are probably keenly aware of the potential.

Has the Gripen even seen combat? Might as well have a proven plane.

6. Verbose

Verbose Deity

Kind of a sore point with the Swedish arms industry. For domestic policy reasons technically it can't sell its stuff to anyone who might actually use it in anger...;)

7. Yared

Yared That Guy

For what it's worth, the Swedish Defence has really gotten better at marketing. For example, in the Public Trans and the train themselves, there are posters saying:

"RUN FROM ONE TRAIN-STATION TO THE NEXT AND BACK"
    "JUDGE HOW MANY DIFFERENT RELIGIONS ARE BEING REPRESENTED IN THIS TRAIN"
    "CONVINCE A COMPLETE STRANGER TO LEND YOU THEIR PHONE"

And then they have smaller texts like:

"As a soldier, you will need to be able to convince the locals to cooperate with you. Enlist now."

All in all, they seem to be trying to increase the status of soldiers and seamen by making them a little more ninja-like. These kinds of posters didn't exist when I was a kid (at least AFAIR), which reflects that something is changing.

8. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

Getting the contracts for Brazil and India takes more money and political power than showing you've got the best plane. ..but it might not hurt to show them off. If they do well, that is.

9. oagersnap

oagersnap Emperor

Swedish military can't even afford phones for their soldiers? No wonder that you guys prefer to stay neutral...

10. Yared

Yared That Guy

Uh no? The whole poster looks something like this:

CONVINCE A COMPLETE STRANGER TO LEND YOU THEIR PHONE

As a soldier, you will need to be able to convince the locals to cooperate with you. Enlist now.

Keep in mind that the poster is urging you to go to some random person on the train and convince them to let them lend you their phone. It's not saying "As a soldier, you will need to be able to convince locals to lend you their phone."

11. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

He's joking, Yared. Then again, why am I trying to stop Scandinavian bickering? It's entertaining. :mischief:

Anyway, if Sweden did send planes, where would they likely to be based in?

12. stuge

stuge Emperor

Italy? Most of the logistics and refueling support will probably come from the bigger European nations. I guess Spain could work too but I don't actually know if they're getting in on this.

13. Yared

Yared That Guy

*Cough* I thought of Germany first. :blush:

14. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Why is that bad? They can get better planes for less money that way.

15. oagersnap

oagersnap Emperor

Yeah, I get it. ;) Anyway, does it really say "Enlist now"? That kinda seems like the wrong signal to send. Shouldn't they be encouraging people to consider the situation well and make an informed choice before they decide if they want to join the military? "Enlist now" sounds like something on a poster from 1914.

16. Ingvina Freyr

Ingvina Freyr wants a Steamfree option

You're telling me they are deploying their forces where...? Hmm, maybe time has come for us to deal with our own rebels once and for all :hmm:

Joking aside, foreigners inciting Scandinavians against each other is a continuing historical curse. Lookie here :mad:
    on topic...
    I'm not a great fan of neighbouring states being used for UN missions, there's always a risk of conflict of interest. Russias "peace forces" in South Ossetia can be used as an example.

17. Yared

Yared That Guy

It might be saying "Apply now"... :mischief:

I'll look for a poster tomorrow and find an exact wording. ;)

18. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

Well, there has to be some sense in selecting the nations. "The Big Satan" and the other smaller satans don't have to intervene again and again where there's an obvious clash of cultures.

19. Mad Man

Mad Man Your lord and master

I honestly don't think there needed here, it would be more beneficial to see Morocco or another Arab/Islamic country get involved.

20. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

Swedish involvement or support of the coalition's attack on Libya would probably be appreciated by most of the international community (unless the attack blows over), but I don't foresee any significant contributions Sweden can actually make beyond moral support and logistics.